Europe trip : )

that would of been an awesome experience was it hard to get the car rego'd I've been looking at a few nice european hire cars $70 a day for a bmw m3!
i bet not many people could say they hang glided the swiss alps that must of cost a fortune to ship the hang glider over their!

Freight one way was only 350 but that was back in the 90s. The flights in Switzerland were awesome but a bit hairy at times (over 4000m at cloudbase in the Berber Oberland with sailplanes wizzing around). Car rego not difficult but insurance was expensive, 900 DM for a few months of European cover.

THANKS EVERYONE! Really appreciate you guys taking the time to let me know your favourite places defiantly got plenty to think about! general consensus seems to give the tours a miss which will also save me a ton of money to go exploring our selfs

Perhaps it's an individual experience, you won't know what really connects for you as you haven't been there and experienced that country before.

So my contribution would be to have excellent processes instead of X-Y-Z goals (visit this place in this country, that place in that country), eg: ideas being

> twice as much money half as much stuff etc
> give yourself flexibility to revisit and stay longer in places that you love
> Good transportation options
> read the 3 star reviews and ignore the 1 and 5 stars ;)
> Have fun! Lucky you :)

+1 for hiring a car.

Wack Croatia on your list too. Drive the coast, visit Plitvice. You can put your car on the ferry in Dubrovnic over to Italy... and theres some awesome driving (and accom) on the Italian coast (Amalfi, Cinque Terre)

I'd give the tours a miss and do it yourselves. There's more freedom and flexibility.

I'd go east too - some of the Eastern European countries are amazing and relatively cheap. Montenegro for instance has some of the nicest beach towns I've ever seen. Bulgaria is awesome - lovely nature, good food, easy to get around and cheap.

Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary - all of the baltics, it's all awesome.

Western Europe is great too - and it's worth seeing the famous places but the money just doesn't last in those places for a young traveller.

Cheers

Jamie

Totally agree with you about above things, and especially about the cost and what you get for your money.....

A trip can be daunting if you've never done it before. A t0ur, especially a budget tour like Top Deck or Contiki, can provide an introduction to the area without the headaches of trying to find your way around in a country where you don't know the language.

It totally depends on the person.

When I did a Contiki tour many years ago in the US where public transport was not very good, I found that bus stations were in bad areas of town- and staying somewhere comfortable and safe would have cost extra on top of the bus fare. Contiki didn't have single supplements like many tours, so as a single traveller, it was a very cost effective- and the places were all reasonable quality.

Back