Evacuated tube system solar water

Just weighing up options to reduce my long term costs for my reno and assessing hot water options. Does anyone have experience with evacuated tube systems? Indicative install costs etc. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
I have seen these systems but only on display. They appear to be more efficient due to increased exposed surface area due to using round tube collectors. The only way to compare is to go through the motions and research them yourself to see if they will work for your situation.

When I looked at them a few years ago, they had a real advantage in cold climates but I wasn't convinced of their edge in warmer climates. They're everywhere in China on top of apartment buildings but these are places that get well below 0C in winter and yet they still work well. Can't beat a vacuum for insulation but I can't see much advantage to offset the cost in a warm climate.

Hi we have an Apricus tube system. This was chosen over Solarhart type due to colder climate - and other reasons associated with that which I can't remember.

Thanks - the Apricus system seems to pop up the most in my research too. House is on the Sunny Coast so cold like I was in China isn't the issue. Just looking at spending $ once and well to minimise running costs over the long run. Appreciate the input to date.

Hi Kamak,

I got an Apricus evacuated tube system installed in 2011. 30 tubes, 315L glass lined tank, gas boost - Installed for around $5500 (after rebates).

I'm in Perth and have needed to turn on the boost 3-4 months of the year. Even then, my gas bills have been in the order of 2-3 units per day (I have no other gas requirements). My previous house had a gas storage system and used ~8 units per day during cooler months. 2 Adult, 2 small children household.

Overall, the system has performed well. I don't have prior experience with "normal" solar HW systems so can't provide a comparison. I've not had any issues with the Apricus system to date.

Hope that helps.

Sasquach

Back