Evaporative cooling on my IP is broken just befor Christmas

With this heat, cooling is essential for my tenants; and the evap cooling in one of my IP just said today I had enough :(.
After replacing a new fan motor last year and now it does not seem to want to work with the old controller, we decided to get the unit replaced and to get ridd of the christmas headache for all involved.
It will be about $3 K to get a replacement and installation (and the supplier can do it before christmas).
Lazy me said, just let it go and enjoy christmas ; but there is also part of me worry if the supplier is ripping me off knowing we are all desperate?
So I googled the model number quoted - the unit price comes up with with around $1400.

Is the remaining cost of installation ($1.6K) to much of a ripp off? We don't have time to shop around as if we do we may loose the time slot.

are they replacing everything? ducts, outlets, dropper box, unit, controllers etc?

If not, then sounds like a 'come in spinner' job.

Inclusion: the unit, delivery & installation, controller,warranty is a manufacturer standard (7 years).
Exclusion: ducts, outlets (using existing one), power/water upgrades if needed; Dropper and flashing, power alterations or plumbing alterations, extra grilles or flexible
Dropper box extra $440 (supply and install)

We might have no choice :( as they are the only one that can do it quickly at this time of the year. If you think their price is way above normal, this will be the only business they will get from us/our family.

Called another company - only to get directed back to the same supplier :(

MKP

are they replacing everything? ducts, outlets, dropper box, unit, controllers etc?

If not, then sounds like a 'come in spinner' job.

I've found that charges are much fairer out here in the country. Maybe try some other completely different areas just for the comparison.

sanj: How much extra to go reverse cycle?
Some people like reverse cycle better but evaporative is soooo good - you can leave the doors and windows open and you can run it for hours.

I dare say 9 out of 10 people would prefer reverse cycle personally but that's just a but of a guess on my part

Apparently evaporative in the dry and reverse cycle in the coastal/humid areas.

Yep.....Evaporative does not work in humidity.

Personally I prefer refrigerated reverse cycle.. its the most cost effective to run on the heating cycle as well.

If only 1 unit of RC, its cheaper (around $1500 for a 5KW that may serve the combined dining and lounge ) + about $600 installation cost per unit. These are my guess based on what we did in our own house not long ago.

RC cycle would be good, but tenants moved in to the house with a ducted cooling; and if we only replace it with 1 RC unit, it would not be the same. If we provide RC to every room, it becomes more expensive (smaller one for each of the 3BR would prob cost around $1000 for eachfor the unit and installation).

We are in an area where evap cooling works very well.

How much extra to go reverse cycle?

WattleIdo, I am in the country music region (northwest slopes NSW) - its the wrong time of the year to have it broken.

I've found that charges are much fairer out here in the country. Maybe try some other completely different areas just for the comparison.

Some people like reverse cycle better but evaporative is soooo good - you can leave the doors and windows open and you can run it for hours.

You could buy a cheapie off gumtree or ebay and then fix the current unit in the new year at a non extravagant price?

Definately get extra quotes, sounds like overpriced.
Personally I prefer evaporative in lower humidity areas as it's cheaper to run, reduces dryness, adds about 20% humidity, tenant pays water and elec.
Also can be directed to vent any room in any direction, especially helpful to vent kitchens of food smells out the nearest door keeping the house smelling better.
Good luck
cheers
crest133

If you want it done, before christmas and have restrictions on the number of available suppliers, then you're stuck. Give the contractor a stir and see if they will come down. $1.6k for installation may be a bit rich as it equates to 4 man days when the install should be about half that. From having managed over 100 buildings with larger evap coolers, install was a smaller part of the cost with ductwork, roof flashing etc being a almost as much as the unit in many cases.

Thanks for all. We got another quotation online from Origin, that gave us a similar figure ($100 dearer); and we want to be able to enjoy christmas, so we went ahead with the local supplier. The old unit was very old, not easy to find parts. The new unit has 7 years warranty, so at least we will not expect a major cooling drama for the next 7 years.

If you want it done, before christmas and have restrictions on the number of available suppliers, then you're stuck. Give the contractor a stir and see if they will come down. $1.6k for installation may be a bit rich as it equates to 4 man days when the install should be about half that. From having managed over 100 buildings with larger evap coolers, install was a smaller part of the cost with ductwork, roof flashing etc being a almost as much as the unit in many cases.

Last price I paid for an evap system was 3k for full install, electrical, ducts, unit etc.

I'm not sure how much value is assigned to ducts though.

From the origin online system (and they are not servicing our area!); the price for unit replacement was about $2950; the price for new unit (including ducting, electrical, grilles, etc) was about $4700 extra. So ducting and grilles would be around $1800 including labour.

We are in regional NSW -not much competitiion for most service so unfortunately often have to pay above metropolitan price for most things :(

Last price I paid for an evap system was 3k for full install, electrical, ducts, unit etc.

I'm not sure how much value is assigned to ducts though.

Back