Ever considered adding a Like button to posts?

An anonymous like or dislike button is not the same as saying something positive or negative.

It's not anonymous - members can see who "liked" a post.

The likes system is not as meaningful as the current kudos system where people can leave a message - but it's much simpler and easier to use.

I might investigate adding a kudos like system - but in general, private messaging does the same thing - if you like what someone has posted, just send them a message of appreciation.

It's not anonymous - members can see who "liked" a post.

Even if it's not anonymous, it's still not the same as making a negative comment which leads to arguments/flaming etc. A simple like/dislike button allows people to express if they like or dislike a comment without saying why or leaving a comment. It provides a barometer to the comment being made.

... but in general, private messaging does the same thing - if you like what someone has posted, just send them a message of appreciation.

Agree that people can send a quick PM saying if they like a certain person's post.

Even if it's not anonymous, it's still not the same as making a negative comment which leads to arguments/flaming etc. A simple like/dislike button allows people to express if they like or dislike a comment without saying why or leaving a comment. It provides a barometer to the comment being made.

I am very much against the concept of a "dislike" button or similar (which is why we change the "reputation" system to one called "kudos" and disabled the ability for people to leave negative reputation).

If you don't like what someone has written, you should explain yourself in a reply. Saying "I don't like this" is not constructive - there is much more value in a reasoned response.

Perhaps I should have said "If you don't have something _constructive_ to say, don't say anything".

Back