Ever considered adding a Like button to posts?

Hey guys, I often read posts that I agree with especially when people are asking for advice and get multiple answers, have you considered adding a Like or an I Agree button, I think it would give the questioner a better idea on what the majority believe is right without having to write a post to concur. ( maybe I'm just on FB too much) just a thought :) Thanks

We're in the process of planning a migration to new forum software (XenForo), which does include this feature.

I look forward to this development so I can also "like" a post I agree with. The current kudos system is meaningless because people can't see the posts which generated the kudos.

Last edited:
I look forward to this development so I can also "like" a post I agree with. The current kudos system is meaningless because people can't see the posts which generated the kudos.

The Kudos system is not intended to be a public "like" system - it is designed to give feedback directly to the poster, not to everyone else.

The green dots are a side-effect of this, not the main purpose.

So will the new system have both kudos and likes or will the likes take over from kudos? I'm wondering if the existing kudos will be converted to "likes" or they'll disappear.

It would also be good to have a "dislike" button for silly posts that add nothing to the thread but aren't worthy of being moderated. Perhaps a cream pie icon might work if people know what it means.

So will the new system have both kudos and likes or will the likes take over from kudos? I'm wondering if the existing kudos will be converted to "likes" or they'll disappear.

No, Kudos will disappear in the new system.

I believe the import routines will convert kudos to "Likes". The existing Kudos messages will disappear though.

No, Kudos will disappear in the new system.

I believe the import routines will convert kudos to "Likes". The existing Kudos messages will disappear though.

You mean all those years of insightfull replies ....... Sniff Sniff :confused::(

While the Likes apply to specific posts , the kudos give a sense of credibility to a posters replies , that might make it easier for newbies to know who knows what they're doing or is that not how it will work ?

But then again both you and I have a fair amount of Kudos , don't we Sim , so that sort of stuffs that arguement :D

( though I notice I have one dot than you :p;) ..... is that it Sim ....!!!! )

Cliff

While the Likes apply to specific posts , the kudos give a sense of credibility to a posters replies , that might make it easier for newbies to know who knows what they're doing or is that not how it will work ?

The Kudos really only represents popularity rather than credibility. It merely represents an indication that other people like what is being written (on any topic!) - not that the poster necessarily has a better grasp of property investing or anything else like that.

I'd guess that in many cases - those long off-topic threads where people get rather passionate about topics end up generating a large number of kudos points for people - with others furiously agreeing with their point of view and thus bumping up scores for content totally unrelated to real estate.

Kudos also tends to benefit longevity - the longer you are around and the more posts you've made, the more likely you are to have earned more kudos.

Likes are similar in many way - you'll be able to identify people with a lot of likes of their content, but again, it reflects popularity more than knowledge. The difference with likes is that you'll also be able to publicly see which posts got the most likes - and thus potentially find good content more easily.

The Kudos really only represents popularity rather than credibility. It merely represents an indication that other people like what is being written (on any topic!) - not that the poster necessarily has a better grasp of property investing or anything else like that.

Sim

I can only be guided by what I get Kudos for and the vast majority is when I feel I have made a significant / important / insightfull point . When I've written a post I usually know which ones are " significant " and likely to gain me kudos .

eg this one won't :) whereas on a recent thread where I documented my real life examples on what Mt Druitt was really like I did .

Cliff

Reactions: Sim
I can only be guided by what I get Kudos for and the vast majority is when I feel I have made a significant / important / insightfull point . When I've written a post I usually know which ones are " significant " and likely to gain me kudos .

eg this one won't :) whereas on a recent thread where I documented my real life examples on what Mt Druitt was really like I did .

You're probably a bit of an exception seech - the signal-to-noise ratio is pretty high for your posts (meaning - more good/relevant posts, less off topic).

Just curious, if we get a like button, could we also please get a Dislike button?

Nope - for the same reason we disabled giving negative "kudos" in the current forums.

If you haven't got something positive to say, don't say anything.

Back