Every Woman Deserves a Washing Machine

OK, OK. Before you start throwing things at me I'd just like to point out that the Mitchell Library currently has an exhibit called 'On Sale - Shops & Shopping' and one of the exhibits is an old advertisement for washing machines with the catch phrase listed above (see attached). Not only that they proclaimed it National Washing Machine Month... WTF.

Just shows how times change and something once acceptable would cause outrage today and lead to a major backlash. Can hear ACA already.

Lawsy used to say that Mortein, 'kills 'em dead' but Louie kept coming back in the next advertising campaign. Seems that is now all due to change as they want to kill off Louie the Fly once and for all because he no longer represents their product. What's wrong with a fly who is always being ressurected?

Perhaps there are other old ads that make you cringe?

Attachments

• EWDAW.jpg
    EWDAW.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
My mum was one of the first in her street / area to get a washing machine so I'm told by siblings. It was a big deal as you can imagine. How times have changed, we take it all for granted.

Just saw this horror story on a news site, terrible for the little fella but I had to smile at his description.
"When I asked him about what had happened he said, 'I opened the door and went round and round and round and I banged my head and then my arm fell off'

Makes it sound like a walk in the park. :eek:
Read more: http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/...ne/story-e6frfkp9-1226165795970#ixzz1adBzhDRx

Toddler's arm ripped off by washing machine

When I was a kid, my mother had a wringer washer....I still have a my toy one from then.
I remember my mother putting up a fuss when my father wanted to buy an automatic washer.

What's a boiler ? :)

She's a bit of an old boiler :D

A boiler (I probably should have called it a copper) is a big metal tub that sits up on legs. It has a tap to empty it and you light a fire under the base to boil up the nappies, whites etc.

My babies all had cloth nappies (I refused to use disposables ;) and I also didn't want to be bleaching and have that enter the waterways - slightly "greenie") so I used to just wash my nappies in hot water. They never were really white and I didn't care less, but whenever "she" came to visit she'd give me the guilt trip "Oh, those nappies are not very white, are they? I'll take them home and boil them up in the copper."

I never handed them over :D

Many people now use them as huge wine buckets.

She's a bit of an old boiler :D

A boiler (I probably should have called it a copper) is a big metal tub that sits up on legs. It has a tap to empty it and you light a fire under the base to boil up the nappies, whites etc.

My babies all had cloth nappies (I refused to use disposables ;) and I also didn't want to be bleaching and have that enter the waterways - slightly "greenie") so I used to just wash my nappies in hot water. They never were really white and I didn't care less, but whenever "she" came to visit she'd give me the guilt trip "Oh, those nappies are not very white, are they? I'll take them home and boil them up in the copper."

I never handed them over :D

Many people now use them as huge wine buckets.

Blimey, that brings back memories, when I was a teenager my job after school was to light a fire under our fancy brick copper in the outside laundry. That way it was hot for our baths after dinner.

All we had to do was run down/up 12 steps carrying two buckets of very hot water twice and we could have a bath :)

Mum used to boil the electric jug to do the dishes as we did not have a hot water service:(

Blimey, that brings back memories, when I was a teenager my job after school was to light a fire under our fancy brick copper in the outside laundry. That way it was hot for our baths after dinner.

All we had to do was run down/up 12 steps carrying two buckets of very hot water twice and we could have a bath :)

Mum used to boil the electric jug to do the dishes as we did not have a hot water service:(

Ahh...the good old days.
I didn't get to experience that...but we did have an out house for a while.
When I was a kid my parents bought a small hobby farm and they needed to enlarge the main house. Before we moved (we lived 4 hours away) my father built a small house for all of us to live in for the summer.Family of five.
Afterwards, our temporary house was turned into a chicken coop....

I remember my oldest brother had been tapping sugar maples. He had a big pot on the stove to boil down. My mother didn't realise what it was and dumped it out to wash the pot....memories!

OK, OK. Before you start throwing things at me I'd just like to point out that the Mitchell Library currently has an exhibit called 'On Sale - Shops & Shopping' and one of the exhibits is an old advertisement for washing machines with the catch phrase listed above (see attached). Not only that they proclaimed it National Washing Machine Month... WTF.

Just shows how times change and something once acceptable would cause outrage today and lead to a major backlash. Can hear ACA already.

Lawsy used to say that Mortein, 'kills 'em dead' but Louie kept coming back in the next advertising campaign. Seems that is now all due to change as they want to kill off Louie the Fly once and for all because he no longer represents their product. What's wrong with a fly who is always being ressurected?

Perhaps there are other old adds that make you cringe?

https://www.facebook.com/louiethefly
Save Louie the fly.
The company has opened a facebook page for people to save him or kill him.

I'm told my granddad built my nanna a washing machine before anyone else in the neighbourhood had one - it was apparently a big deal :).

We didn't have hot water for a period during my childhood & teenage years as we lived on a boat. Hot water was boiled on top of the gas stove for dishes and hot baths (which were taken in the head trough when we were small enough, then when we go too big it was a wash down next to the trough). It wasn't really a problem though - we were used to it - that was just how it was done.

Same here, although we did have an instantaneous heater for the shower. We had a twin tub washer (after we got rid of the ghastly one with the wringer) which was located in the kitchen. Mum used to drag it over to the sink to do the washing but it would have to heat the water first. Since we didn't have a sink in the bathroom, the kitchen sink was the only one we had. Too bad if you needed to brush your teeth or wash your hands. Oh, and Dad used to shave at the kitchen sink too.

..but we did have an out house for a while.

We never had an indoor toilet. The last place we lived at was at least a flush (drain away system of some type). Before that we had the dreaded can. Yuck!!!!

When I moved out of home to a dodgy rental it felt like luxury accommodation. Indoor toilet, sink in the bathroom with running hot water, hot water in the kitchen, no twin tub. Bliss!!

Obviously no good lawyers back in those days BH,it's false advertising.. there's no way every good woman deserves a washing machine.

There's nothing wrong with the old twin tub ;)

images

Geez showing your age there Macca :D

And you try to tell that to the young people of today.

They won't believe you.

That's because it was so hard growing up in my day and age, you know?

With all those flushable toilets, electric washing machines, hot water in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry, air conditioning, colour TVs and all the gadgets that go with it.. You wouldn't believe the chores my parents had me doing either!

I mean, I had to do the dishes by hand!!!! :eek:
:p ;) :D :rolleyes:

Back