ex signed her name of title under natural love and affection

I recently bought a property and had both my name and my exs on the title, she left me about 4 weeks later and signed her name of the title under natural love and affection. Does this mean that if she cant make a claim on the property further down the track if she decides her and her new boyfriend could do with some extra money?

In short, whose name is on what is irrelevant. Marital assets will be pooled and divvied up according to some percentage agreed upon.

So, were you married or defacto or just gf/bf?

I recently bought a property and had both my name and my exs on the title, she left me about 4 weeks later and signed her name of the title under natural love and affection. Does this mean that if she cant make a claim on the property further down the track if she decides her and her new boyfriend could do with some extra money?

How do you sign 'love and affection'. Doesn't make sense.

no the love and affection title transfer paper work makes no sense but that is the paperwork she signed to have her name removed from the title, im guessing it was stop me having to pay stamp duty a second time in a month on the property. Just wondering that since she had signed her name off the title with that paperwork which is effectively gifting me her share, does she have a claim to it when she realizes that she isn't going to be getting the kids as often as she would like as she can be rather spiteful when she wants.
And we were defacto

what if I property in the childrens names? could she try to make a claim then? I realise I wouldn't be able to ever sell but I don't care as the property was bought so the children always had a home and would set them up in the future with them already having a mortgage free home

what if I property in the childrens names? could she try to make a claim then?
The property's not in the children's names, it's in your name. You can't transfer it now to try and defeat a family law claim or you risk just making a judge look upon you very unfavourably. The Family Law Act 1975 s 106B directly addresses "transactions to defeat claims".

She's either entitled to a portion of the property or not; nothing you can do now to protect yourself against a relationship that's already over.

and what extra info would you want thatbum?
I think he has it now; he wanted to know if you fell under the Family Law Act, I suspect, and if you were de facto and had children together, then the answer is almost certainly "yes".

well that's absolutely BS. I was supporting her from 2004 to 2010 as I was working full time up until 2008 when I had a car accident from 2008-2011 I was receiving income replacement from TAC and then was supporting her with my DSP until I got a payout this year which was used to buy the home. From 2008 onwards I was the one looking after the kids full time while she was doing nothing. She only started working 18 months ago and my DSP was more than what she was earning, she only started to work because centrelink made her look for work and despite her best efforts ended up getting a job. So not only have I been the main income earner I was also the one doing all the housework child care etc.

Note that I didn't say she'd be successful in getting part-ownership of your house; I don't know enough to say. You can put all those arguments to a court.

I was only saying that it would appear that your relationship falls within the scope of the Family Law Act and therefore your asset division will be governed by its provisions.

well that's absolutely BS. I was supporting her from 2004 to 2010 as I was working full time up until 2008 when I had a car accident from 2008-2011 I was receiving income replacement from TAC and then was supporting her with my DSP until I got a payout this year which was used to buy the home. From 2008 onwards I was the one looking after the kids full time while she was doing nothing. She only started working 18 months ago and my DSP was more than what she was earning, she only started to work because centrelink made her look for work and despite her best efforts ended up getting a job. So not only have I been the main income earner I was also the one doing all the housework child care etc.

No point sulking about this now, you're the one who obviously agreed to her doing nothing while you were taking care of the kids. She sounds like a loser, but you're the sucker who supported her being a loser for however many years.

in not seeking proper legal advice because its the weekend. So far care of the children and property division that has been verbally agreed upon has been adhered to but last night my daughters told me they were afraid of her new partner so am not gonna let them go there anymore, which is gonna create major problems

in not seeking proper legal advice because its the weekend. So far care of the children and property division that has been verbally agreed upon has been adhered to but last night my daughters told me they were afraid of her new partner so am not gonna let them go there anymore, which is gonna create major problems

Yeah so it sounds like its a good idea to get legal advice first thing Monday then.

Short easy answers don't exist in family law, especially from the whiff of things that I'm getting from your current situation.

A bunch of randoms on the Internet, even qualified lawyers like Terry and thatbum, will not be able to give you specific advice on your particular situation. Wait until Monday and then go see a lawyer to get clarity.

That will make things very messy

Seek proper legal advise before you do or say anything.

Cliff

yeah I was gonna seek proper advice before saying or doing anything just wanted to try to find out some kind of info to try to help ease my mind. And google isn't very helpful with the specific type of issue I have so was just looking to get some advice from people who either had been through something similar or knew about family law. Thanks heaps everyone for your input I will be seeking legal advice first thing Monday morning as I don't think its fair on the kids to be somewhere where they feel afraid even if they are with their mother. I don't want to keep them from her but if they don't feel safe then I feel as if i have no choice but too, just wanted too see if their was some way I could keep a roof over the kids heads at the same time

Back