Excess water usage in unit with shared meter

I have a unit that is part of a block of 8 and is on one water meter so we are each allocated a 12.5% share of the water usage in our rates.

Just got the most recent rate's and the water usage of the block is up by 70%, to nearly double the Brisbane average and the water consumption charge is about $40 more than last period. Most of the units are owner occupied by elder people that have been there for years, just 2 units have recently been rented out. We have never had a problem in the past.

Any ideas? Get BC to send out a letter? Get BC to check for leaks? Ask PM to send a letter to tenants reminding them of water restrictions? Or just cop it on the chin? Not a big deal to me but I'm sure it is to the old gals on the pension in the block.

This has happened in two of my units and in both cases its been a water leak. In the Cairns situation Cairns Water investigated, found it was a leaking pipe they were responsible for and gave us all a credit.

In the Melbourne situation the pipe finally burst open and flooded a corner of a bedroom. We had to remove the bricks from the outer wall to get to the pipe.

It would be worthwhile getting on to the Water Company to have the pipes tested and checked.

Chris

The new tenants could be sharing with a dozen others and/or leasing rooms out?
Or perhaps operating a brothel with massage + showers before n after the show? :eek:

I was always under the opinion that past the water meter was private area under owners responsability.
I could not see Sydney Water covering costs for excess water usage past the water meter. Even if caused by a leak or a tenant that likes a 2 hour shower twice a day, or someone washing their car twice a day :confused:

May be different in other states.

I would wait until the next water bill.If it's at a higher level again and you are concerned perhaps bring the issue up in the body corporate meeting.
I actually had a similar issue in a complex of five units. One unit holder discussed the option of individual water meters.It however, wasn't going to be any different. A tenant in one of the units moved out and the water bill is considerably less. Supposedly had a beauty/spray tanning business from home.

You are probably aware (but just in case you aren't) : in Qld, unless all the water outlets etc are water-efficient (eg. double flush loo etc) the landlord has to pay water usage up to a certain limit (which I cannot recall) and the tenant is only billed after that limit is reached. Very unfair for landlord.

Are there any legal clauses or conditions that can be added to a lease agreement in QLD to pass on all or some of the excess water costs in a shared water meter unit block? I'm curious about what can be used in this regards because I will be able to lease my unit in two months after satisfying the FHOG requirements. I have tried to research several non-gov/gov real estate websites (incl. phone calls) and it seems like this is a landlord expense when the meter is shared. Is this water-efficient test I wasn't aware of something that can be used to our advantage?

I have been told by my PM that when there is a shared meter I cannot charge the tenant excess water charges. I agree with this as there is no way of knowing if it is my tenants causing the extra usage.

I'm sure the old birds on the pension will bring it up as a issues as they get their rates notices this week.

Thanks for your reply's

James is correct - in Queensland, the units must be individually metered and fitted with water saving devices if a LL wants to charge the tenant for water useage.

Cheers
LynnH

Back