Exercise - What do you do?

commute to work by bike, 40ks each way, about 2 hours per day. walk the dogs. Chase the kids around. Weekends are spent commotose on the couch.

I am old....so feel the need to keep fit...I do Pilates 4 times a week...gym strength training 6 days per week and tap dancing 2 hours per week.

I still do not have the balance that others have in Pilates and that worries me. I have been doing Pilates for 15 years so doubt that it will change now.

I have just returned from my mother's funeral in the UK, she was 98 and continued to mow the grass until she was 89. It was only when the dementia started to take over that her fitness fell.

Chris

Well I've been a bit out of wack last 3 months.

However...

Rock climbing 1x week
Gym 2x week
Walk partners dog 3x week
Dancing 1-2x week

I avoid using machines where I can and use only free weight.

I'm still not fit. I eat A LOT. I love food more than property. I have driven to Canberra from Sydney and back in a day for a food craving.

Gym two or three times a week; mostly free weights and cable weights. Sit ups/leg raises once a fortnight (8 sets of 10 reps). Maybe a 2 - 5 min jog on the treadmill once a fortnight as well along with normal day to day walking.

Yesterday it was over an hour and a half, ridiculous in the rain. Somone should put disc brakes on road bikes, and invent a wetsuit for cyclists.

maybe its a bit more than an hour. Dont tell the wife....

Anything circa 35km/hr for an hour is a solid ride. You sure its 40km? :rolleyes:

Yesterday it was over an hour and a half, ridiculous in the rain. Somone should put disc brakes on road bikes, and invent a wetsuit for cyclists.

Disc brakes available on some road bikes, but the jury is still out on their use. They will never be approved for professional use, so I wouldn't ride them. Commuting might be ok. As for rain, there are a plethora of cheap (and not so cheap) options to keep reasonably dry. I don't bother to be honest.

pinkboy

If that is the average then wonder what the maximum speed is :rolleyes:
Hopefully you don't get a speeding ticket :p

I have nudged over the 100km/hr going down a straight downhill a couple of times. Pretty scary to be honest, with only lycra between me and the road if I come off! :eek:

Anything over 70km/hr downhill I consider pretty whacked, so I brake. Bit of 'body preservation' kicks in.

Going fast downhill is easy - its going uphill that really counts. And far prettier to watch in awe as some people whip up hills like a flat road! :D

pinkboy

I've only just started back on my proper exercise regime - was a bit all over the shop over the last month with renos.

I'm working back into it, but hoping to get up to:

Gym, 5 times per week
Yoga, >3 times per week
Cardio, >2 times per week

And if I can find time, I want to get back into dancing as well, but this is probably not going to happen. I also want to get into gymnastics and circus acrobatics. It's a bit far from my place though, so will probably wait and see what my living arrangements are like in a few months.

I've only just started back on my proper exercise regime - was a bit all over the shop over the last month with renos.

I'm working back into it, but hoping to get up to:

Gym, 5 times per week
Yoga, >3 times per week
Cardio, >2 times per week

And if I can find time, I want to get back into dancing as well, but this is probably not going to happen. I also want to get into gymnastics and circus acrobatics. It's a bit far from my place though, so will probably wait and see what my living arrangements are like in a few months.

What sort of yoga? Been meaning to take it up. Anything to help with my breathing.

Im not sure of my exact spped, I dont have a speedo computer thingy.

I did say 'about' 2 hours.... I was deliberately vague as Im still not sure if identifying spending that much time on the bike each day is something to be proud of or hide from. I should have said at least 2 hours (probably closer to 3 if I have to be precise)

Alternatively I was spending 40 minutes each way on the monash/eastlink falling asleep, so at least there is no chance of that bicycling.

A good portion of it is down beach rd/Nepean highway, (I work in Frankston), so there arent many lights, traffic etc. Im also moving against the traffic so its fairly easy road rage wise.

I am definately not an athlete, Ive been back into bike riding about 9 months now (commuting regularly).

Ive lost 20% of my body weight and Im sleeping like a baby. I should have done it years ago.

Im not sure of my exact spped, I dont have a speedo computer thingy.

I did say 'about' 2 hours.... I was deliberately vague as Im still not sure if identifying spending that much time on the bike each day is something to be proud of or hide from. I should have said at least 2 hours (probably closer to 3 if I have to be precise)

Alternatively I was spending 40 minutes each way on the monash/eastlink falling asleep, so at least there is no chance of that bicycling.

A good portion of it is down beach rd/Nepean highway, (I work in Frankston), so there arent many lights, traffic etc. Im also moving against the traffic so its fairly easy road rage wise.

I am definately not an athlete, Ive been back into bike riding about 9 months now (commuting regularly).

Ive lost 20% of my body weight and Im sleeping like a baby. I should have done it years ago.

Download mapmyride or Strava on your phone. Records everything - speed, distance, average, calories burned, power. Neat apps that allow you to track everything.

pinkboy

Offshore fishing usually 3 times per week ( mornings- weather permitting ), swim 3 afternoons ( 1km) , Golf Tuesdays and beach walk as often as possible. It helps being retired! Don't know how I ever had time to go to work!

Download mapmyride or Strava on your phone. Records everything - speed, distance, average, calories burned, power. Neat apps that allow you to track everything.

pinkboy

I will at some point. At this stage Im trying to keep it relaxing. I tend to get obsessed with things, so Strava (and computers, and entering loads of organised rides etc) is something Im trying to leave for later.

It also helps with the mrs if I can just say 'im commuting' rather than Im a crazy fixated obsessed cyclist that spends more time on the road than with his family, etc

Whats that joke about the cyclist who worries when he dies his wife will sell his bikes for what he told her he paid for them?

What sort of yoga? Been meaning to take it up. Anything to help with my breathing.

Ashtanga and/or vinyasa.

Hatha is more about the breath, but I don't particularly like it as it is a bit too slow and not as physically challenging as I would like.

Back