Exhaust fan reverse itself?

New tenants who so far had to have an emergency locksmith out the night they moved in because the lock (only 3yrs old) jammed. Now reckon they replaced the charcoal filter on the exhaust fan over the stove and it is blowing air out rather than sucking it in and want a serviceman out there. Anyone have any clues whether they could have altered something to do that, or do recirculating fans suck in clean air through the charcoal filter and then blow it out?

I don't know anything about the fan's workings, but I would suggest that you make it clear to them that if you organise a service call and it turns out they have put something in backwards, then they must pay for the service call.

No doubt they will check it to see if they can fix it themselves. I certainly would!!

Firstly, exhaust fan is not the correct term, it is rangehood you are talking about. Exhaust fans are in toilets and dont have filters.

I suspect you have recirculating range hood. It does not exhaust to the roof or outside via a duct but filters grease from the cooking and sends cleaner air out.

It could well be the previous filter was so clogged the tenants have never had air come out the front before.

A rarer but possible option is the sparkie wired the rangehood bakceoods the fan is working in reverse. Possible but rare.

Peter

Just another thought....... the "princess" tenant in one of Mum's houses asked if we could source a new filter in the range hood. We hadn't realised it, but it was on really bad condition and literally twisted and falling apart.

Hubby and I were there doing bits and pieces while they moved things in, and simply unplugged the power point, got Mum to buy a brand new one for about $90 and we unscrewed the old one, screwed in the new one, plugged it in and "voila"..... problem solved.

I reckon a new filter would have cost less, but where do you start looking for one.

Thanks for the link. I am sure we could have found a spare, but it was so easy to just swap it over for a brand new unit (and so cheap) - and with the "princess" coming up with new requests every time she walked past me, I wanted to get out of there quickly.

A rarer but possible option is the sparkie wired the rangehood bakceoods the fan is working in reverse. Possible but rare.

Peter

Can't imagine that you have a 3 phase rangehood so the possibility if it being wired "reverse" are zilch.

Single phase rangehood fans will only have one direction of turn. Now if the fan in the rangehood was installed upside down.....!

Cheers

Rooster

Single phase rangehood fans will only have one direction of turn. Now if the fan in the rangehood was installed upside down.....!

This happened to our roller door installation :eek: The "fail safe" mechanism that was supposed to stop the door squashing a child was installed incorrectly and would only stop the door from rising if we grabbed the bottom edge.

It took us a while to figure it out, and they came out to fix it, but meanwhile we risked squished kids :eek:.

Back