Exiting joint mortgage - tax implications

I'm considering purchasing an investment property (90% loan) in conjunction with my brother who is a Doctor therefore qualifies for exemption of mortgage insurance with anz, under there lending criteria. An additional advantage is that this would improve my borrowing power.
Problem according to my mortgage broker is that this would effectively reduce my subse end borrowing capacity as I would be assessed as liable for 100% of the debt but only 50,% of the rental income, regardless of ownership split.

To escape this, I'd like to transition to full ownership down the track.
I'm told by my broker that this is complex and he is not sure of what the overall tax implications are - ie returns and capital gains tax.

The objective is to have my brother on title in order to avoid mortgage insurance and harness his borrowing capacity, without invoking complicated and costly consequences down the track.
Any advise on best way to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

Or you each borrow 50% as separate loans and he provide a limited guarantee for your loan ? Its little different...You are both jointly and severally liable for all the debt. If he defaults they can make you pay and vice versa.

One way around it could be for him to borrow more. He then lends a portion to you under a written agreement etc drawn by lawyer. You loan would be say 80% LVR and not need LMI.

Maybe the issue is the broker ?

removing brother from title will mean CGT and stamp duty plus conveyancing and new loans.

If he owns just 10% the duty and CGT will be minimal.

Another option would be a unit trust with you later acquiring his units. Less or no stamp duty, no conveyancing involved.

Make sure ANZ access these structures thought.

Or you each borrow 50% as separate loans and he provide a limited guarantee for your loan ? Its little different...You are both jointly and severally liable for all the debt. If he defaults they can make you pay and vice versa.

One way around it could be for him to borrow more. He then lends a portion to you under a written agreement etc drawn by lawyer. You loan would be say 80% LVR and not need LMI.

Maybe the issue is the broker ?

Hey Paul

I'm not quite following - but would like to understand your thoughts. Can you explain this a bit more?

Last edited:
Back