extension costs in melbourne inner north?

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a victorian weatherboard home in melbournes inner north that I can eventually do a 2 storey extension on as my ppor.

Rough extension floor space would be 20m2 on lower level extending the living room, and adding a 40m2 upper level, including a master with ensuite and WIR, and another bedroom.

I am trying to work out the rough costs of the extension, excluding bathrooms and kitchen which I would budget a seperate 50K for.

Archicenter says 881-1652 for lower level and 1142-1723 for upper level
Indicating it might range from 60-120K but I was thinking at least the higher! Does that sound right and does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

each extension is unique to each property based on the fixtures, finishes and any unexpected problems like plumbing and asbestos issues that come your way.

You best get some plans drawn and then seek a builder to work out what are the best options.

I have done some extensions before and it can cost a fair bit. My builder personally was out of pocket for 600-700K on a victorian renovation extension.

Hi dredfern,

I am an architect based in Melbourne - mostly working on commercial and institutional buildings - not so much residential.

It is a difficult question, but Archicentre are certainly a good starting point.
General good 'ballpark' rule of thumb is around $1500-2000/sqm for basic level building and finishes, and around $3000 for something more architectural.

You could also head to a library and have a look at a construction cost guide book such as rawlinsons - this breaks down the cost of construction into trade costs.

Cheers,

Sam

Back