Extension involving Pengola- Costs

Hi,

I would like to extend my house and turn my existing Pengola into 2 bedrooms (refer image).

The Pengola is actually quite deep and runs along the back of the house so would be quite wide as well. (15m wide and maybe 4m deep). The floor is currently concrete on the entire pengola.

I have had quotes of about 150k to do this and my reaction was you might as well build a new house.

I have been advised that planning approval is not required. I only require a building approval confirming that it qualifies with building standards etc.

If I manage this myself, do you have a rough idea of the costs. I have seen this type of extension done in house inspections so obviously people are doing it. If someone has done this themselves before, i would like to hear from you.

The work that would be involved would be:

1) laying floorboards on the existing concrete.
2) Building brickwork as part of the extension. Can use weatherboard if cheaper.
3) Putting up veneer walls along the interior
4) Extending the roof
5) Putting in 2 new windows for each of the bedrooms.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 104
construction cost for extensions are at $2000 m2 , tthe pergola in question , does the slab have , termite protection or a plastic membrane for moisture.
Does the roof line fit/match in the way a home would, or have you no idea about this stuff, you want to thatch the old and new together professionaly, and thats what a builder wishes to achive, most products might need to be carried through , there is alot of labour involved in this stuff, but its all about the area you wish to live in, if you won't to stay there, you should consider the price. you could also do an owner builder, i might allow you to learn alot about this stuff too!

Hi,

I have been advised that planning approval is not required. I only require a building approval confirming that it qualifies with building standards etc.

As Craig has said, you need to ensure that the concrete floor is adequate for habitable areas. Generally, carports, garages and pergola slabs aren't required to be as thick as floor slabs. If you are converting the area from an unhabitable space (pergola / garage) (Class 10 structure) to a habitable space (bedroom, etc) (Class 1 structure), you will need to make sure it is of the appropriate thickness. With regards to termite / pest issues, you can get around that these days by a number of injection and barrier systems available on the market. (it might involve saw cutting a section of slab though). This is what I belive to be the case in Qld.

Wouldn't planning want to know if you occupy more area than a set size on your land. You may need to ensure a certain % of open space / yard....not too sure on this one.

Let us know result.

Cheers,

F

Back