Extension - rough estimate?

I'm looking to do an extension to a PPOR I just bought. It's going to be a simple box extension at the back, adding a kitchen, dining room and living room. Roughly 120m2 (around 13 squares).

I have a budget of max $80K to spend. This PPOR will turn into an IP a few years down the track. Is this too much to spend on an extension for something that will turn into an IP?

Any help/feedback appreciated.

Mia, you need to provide a few more details like location and current value.
$80k on a house in a really good suburb is loose change, but way too much to spend in a not so average suburb.

Gools

It largely depends on ease of access to the area where you want the extension. If it all has to be lugged back there by hand, then the cost can skyrocket. I had a fixed price quote on a ~40sqm extension of about $110k, however, site access is difficult and it was a split level extension.

Mia, you need to provide a few more details like location and current value.
$80k on a house in a really good suburb is loose change, but way too much to spend in a not so average suburb.

Gools

Oops, forgot to say the property was bought for $415K, in Frankston Sth, Vic. Medium price there is around $515k.

Site access shouldn't be a problem, and the house is on a level block.

If we just build the shell of the extension, will all electrical and plumbing in place, what do you think is the approx. cost?

Hi Mia

If you can get a 110 sqm extension for 80k then please send me the builders and architects details. That size would low end be 160 and around double that price and top end!

Check out archicentre for details.

Last edited:
I work on a cost of $1600 per sqm for a ground floor extension.

In reality you will be adding this extension to an existing dwelling that adds probably $600 to $800 per sm in value to the land value.

Do not expect to get back the extension cost in value, it rarely happens, especially in the sort of price range you are talking about.

As for the cost, many builder od new hojmes charge around $1100 per sqm .. extensions are messy and cost a whole lot more.

I suggested a friend in Camberwell change their laundry, linen cupboard and powder room into a new third bathroom, with alcove laundry cupboard in this bathroom. I thought it would cost about $10 .. cost them $30k .. no increase in floor area .. but boy does it look nice.

good luck with it all and let us know ehn you get some prices in.

cheers

RightValue

Don't want to hijack but I have a similar question. I have an under performing ip in a great area that im considering turning into an ip. It's small so would need an extention.

I'm thinking of a double story with a 5.5 by 9 meter footprint.so a total of 100 sqm for both floors. One open area downstairs and two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. Medium to higher quality finish. Weatherboard outside and joined to existing house via a brease way. Ok access and located on the south coast nsw. I'm thinking of a $130,000 budget and I'm hoping that's total. Garden clean up etc also. What are peoples thoughts ?

Back