Exterior colour scheme - keep or change?

Current PPOR, which I'm having painted in a few weeks. I'm trying to decide if I should keep the current colour scheme, see below, which I quite like, or change.

One alternative I thought of is a slightly darker / more mushroomy main colour with a fairly dark steel blue, maybe something like Dulux Mystification for the trim.

One issue with changing is I'm thinking of not painting the fence cos the ratbag dog jumps upon it all the time & would trash it in weeks. Another issue is that the roof is currently white. It will need replacing in a few years, but not in the budget right now.

Plan is that this will either be sold or become IP in approx 2-3 years.

Anyone have ideas / opinions?

picture.php

How cute a lovely little cottage...... is this and the dog... what a cracker

Now about colours, will need a little think about this one

Yes I agree, I like the antique whites, nice and crisp.

Traditional colours for vintage/period homes are just not that popular anymore.

Greys or charcoal colours added somewhere like facia, but minimal can compliment, however they fade/discolour quickly due to our harsh summers. Cant really go wrong with what you have IMO.

Another option other than painting is to plant standard roses, something like icebergs in a row, very attractive, or 2 on either side and using old red brick seconds as paving, this sort of thing, not sure which will work out cheaper/easier, just another option.

Unlike the others so far, I don't like it now - to me it looks insipid :(

If it were an IP, I'd leave it alone. If it was a PPOR, I'd leave the white trim and white roof alone and paint it a light - medium grey (looks good with white trim) and I'd paint the pickets in the fence black (so they disappear visually) and paint the posts the same grey as the house.

I don't mind it, but I think it does need some depth. It looks 'flat' to me at the moment. All I would do is add a touch of a darker colour on some of the trims - perhaps gable, window sill, window awning sides etc.

Hopefully you'll only require one refresher coat if you keep the main colour as is. If you do change the main colour, you'll have double the paint and double the labour to pay for.

If you did decide to paint the fence at some stage, you could use this darker colour on the palings.

So 2 months, christmas madness & 3 quotes later I'm now contemplating taking on the paint job myself. Am I mad? I work full time & have a 4yo....but I would save myself about $6-8K, even after considering I'll need to buy ladders, sander, paint brushes etc. The guys who have quoted couldn't finish it till the end of March anyway & I keep saying I want to do some renovating so it feels like I should dive in.

Very pretty house. I want one! And lovely dog :)
Yes, do it yourself if you have some energy - great for the upper arms.
I like it light but think the mushroom or a grey would be good too. In fact, anything would look good on a place like that. Keeping the trim white (imo) is both traditional and fashionable atm.
Who cares about the fence - it's a picket fence. Either the same or some interesting suggestions above. But don't leave it with dirty paw prints - if you're painting, do the whole thing.

Back