Exterior makeover

This is a photo of my house.Before it had brick arches and it was pretty dated looking
I am trying to make it more aesthetic from the outside I have had the arches removed and the roof painted the next step is to render and then paint the walls and garage door a light coloured. I will also paint the guttering and soffit and the brown Window frames. I will replace that brown timber gate with a powder coated aluminium one and to the right of the house I will put in approx 2.5m long fence and gate to the boundary 1.8m high also powder coated aluminium slats and the same colour as the house to make it look a bit wider.
I will also replace the letterbox with something else not sure what.
Do you have any advice about what else I might need to do or is there anything I haven't considered prior to spending the money on rendering?
thank you for your assistance

Attachments

• 20150314_082748.jpg
    20150314_082748.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 344
  • 20150314_092547.jpg
    20150314_092547.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 307
  • 20150314_082828.jpg
    20150314_082828.jpg
    1,006.5 KB · Views: 288
  • 20141127_073116.jpg
    20141127_073116.jpg
    824.7 KB · Views: 303
Looks great getting rid of the arches!

Are you just rendering the front face walls? Doing that will save heaps, and just paint the rest of the brickwork the same colour with out render.

Rendering will make a huge difference!

I'm rendering the lot is only $4k for the whole place and I need to do the side behind that brick wall as that is visible from the street and is kind of the entertainment area. As for the garden I don't have a clue where to start. Will get rid of the mango tree on the front boundary garden bed. Was going to fence eventually but after I have converted the garage and put a carport. And retained to the right of the driveway. That is a phase 2 job as earthworks concreting etc required plus $ for garage conversion.

ahh why did you get rid of the brick sils??? thats stupid

I did that on recommendations from a number of different people over the years who said when i render I should remove the brick sills first. They seem to be convinced it looks much more modern. I agree that perhaps I may have lost something there but there's nothing i can do about it now so i would suggest that is not helpful you saying it looks stupid. Clearly I put this up here so that people could offer suggestions about things to do next. Not criticism.

Well the point of sills is for water run off. So now I hope you don't have damaged window sashes in the future...

by the looks of the photos the sills have NOT been removed, just the over hang trimmed back. They will not retain water. I did the same at my place, and it does look a lot better and still functions

by the looks of the photos the sills have NOT been removed, just the over hang trimmed back. They will not retain water. I did the same at my place, and it does look a lot better and still functions

Yes just the hangover. Below the window still angles down. Worst case scenario water drips down the wall although if train is pelting enough to hit the windows then the walls are going to be wet anyway

suggestion only: you could just paint the bricks instead of rendering (?).

Keeping in mind that the house was built in the days of minimalism, you could just accept the dear little thing as is. Put in some cacti and other succulents ? A sleeping Mexican and a donkey for the garden??:rolleyes:

I would spray paint (or get a new)the garage door cream. The brown is making it disappear and making the house look smaller. A Cream/biscuit colour to match the bricks will make the whole house look much bigger

Back