External Door

I need to get one of our external doors replaced.

A builder has suggested a honeycomb door but I am expecting a solid core door would be the one to use.

What are the benefits of a honeycomb door? Are they cheaper and do they last just as long as a solid core door?

Thanks.

SYD

Cheaper and lighter.

I like the idea of a solid front door myself.

And not one made of MDF - no matter how well they are painted, I still reckon they're a risk of water damage.

as above theyre cheaper, lighter, and easier to install for the tradesman (likely why it was suggested). That being said, the cost of works is:

cost of door
cost of hanging door
cost of painting door

one way or the other, youll pay the same price to hang the door regardless of it being solid or honeycomb. assuming that you dont use a prepainted/prefinished ornamental door, the cost of painting will also be the same for each.

so for arguments sake, lets say that your costs are:

honeycomb door: $70
solid core door: $200
hanging door: $80
cost of painting door: $80

then your two scenarios are:

honeycomb: 70 + 80 + 80 = 230
solid core: 200 + 80 + 80 = 360

difference: 360 - 230 = 130.

So the question you need to ask yourself is whether or not the extra $130 is worth having a solid core door that will certainly last a lot longer, certainly be easier to work with long term (you can add deadlocks, latches, peepholes, whatever at leisure), and provide better protection for your tenant/yourself. (I can personally put my foot through a honeycomb door and break into a place in all of 15 seconds if i felt like it)

just so you know, Im in Darwin, my prices are different to yours so add in your own numbers. I just wanted to share how I think about such things

Go solid or at least a good quality external door,
I have seen honeycomb door swell in a matter of months,
Do you want to have to replace the door again in 12 months or never?

Honeycomb doors consist of approx 6 pieces.

they have stiles on the sides, a top and bottom plates and then they fill the centre with cardboard and glue a thin piece of veneer or mdf on either side.

my little sister could run through one, I wouldn't use it outside, particulary if it needs to be secure.

Solid timber doors can also be refinished every few years and brought back to look like they did new, so in a couple of years time you're ahead anyway.

Back