Extra rent for pets.

Hello,

I have an IP here in SA that I am soon to advertise for rent. I am willing to allow pets in exchange for some extra rent but the problem here in SA is that we are not allowed to charge extra for pets.

How do other landlords get around this? last time I advertised as pets negotiable and listed the rent as being $220-$240 (the 240 for tenants with pets) but I had allot of applicants question this and I think it put a few off applying.

Would I be better advertising that the rent is $x with pets being negotiable and then when I find out they have a pet negotiate a rent increase?

Thanks
Pablo.

We have queenslanders so no issues with carpets so pets are welcome in all our houses. We figure a dog's claws cannot do any more harm than a tenant pushing furniture around on the polished floors. We put the price we want on the house and advertise it as "pets allowed". Generally, this makes the house very rentable, because so many owners will not allow pets, especially dogs. If someone applies without a pet, we don't negotiate downwards, but I also don't think we would necessarily get an extra $20 (but could be wrong).

If someone applies with dogs that are vicious we can always use the "we have had a few applications, we will get back to you", even if they are the only applicant.

Wylie

Our agent has told us they are starting to get "Pet Bond's" on our houses, but as a rule, we go no pet's, no children.

Dave

Why don't you advertise the market rate and then select the tenant that best suits your property and yourself?

Don't get so tied up in detail. Spend the effort on finding the next IP.

I reckon small kids can be worse than pets sometimes. There are no set rules. We are renting and have a poodle cross that causes no damage. My sweet and reliable 13 yr old daughter accidently burnt a hole in the lino floor the other day (don't ask) whereas the dog is spotless!

We have two pets and two kids and the kids cause more damage to the house then the pets. We try to avoid both in our IPs.

Be careful with SA laws. Rent ranges and pet bonds are not allowed. Striktly speaking tenants are allowed to pay the lower of the range advertised and have a pet too becuase that's what you advertised your price at.

Insert a pet clause as an annexture to your lease agreement to protect your interest. Your pm should be able to draw one up easily.

Be careful with SA laws. Rent ranges and pet bonds are not allowed.

pet bonds not allowed in SA???

so what happens here:

- tenant WANTS to offer a pet bond to secure the property
- landlord prints up a short form, "We offer a pet bond of $____" etc
- tenant fills in their own chosen amount and signs it
- normal bond forwarded to TB
- pet bond is not forwarded to TB but kept by Landlord

note the key word "offer", and the blank amount - both pointing to the fact that its offered by the tenant, NOT demanded by the landlord.

there's nothing to stop two people in society making a contract between themselves, so how exactly is the line drawn?

I know I'm only a tenant at this stage of the game yet when I become a landlord ... due to my experience as a tenant.. I will be pets allowed, no children.

None the less, I can tell you that I jumped at the opportunity of a pet-friendly (with restrictions) property here on the Gold Coast where it is all pretty much pet-unfriendly.

It makes a place much much easier to rent plus a tenant is generally happier etc therefore making your life less miserable IMO as a landlord.

So advertise at the higher price with saying "pets negotiable". Don't worry about pet bonds just go with the higher price regardless. Use the higher rental price as a way to allevate the 'cost' of someone having a pet.

Plus try to see if the prospective applicant(s) can give you a pet resume as well as the phone number of the vet they use and/or registered breeder.

Back