Votes: 11 22.9%
  • House from Picture 7

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • House from Picture 8

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • House from Picture 9

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters
Wanting to select our facade for the IP we are just about to build in Windsor Gardens, South Australia. WG is going through a regeneration phase with about 50/50 split of old and new homes. We have selected a few facades we like below that we think should suit the area and are not too different from other newish homes about the suburb. It will be a double garage home.

Please make a choice of your favourite and select it in the poll. Would also really appreciate any comments you have on why you like/dislike a certain one.

Thank you very much,

Gools

1)
05042008(006).jpg

2)
05042008(007).jpg

3)
10032008(002).jpg

4)
klemzig%201D%20McCulloch.jpg

5)
klemzig%2C%205A%20Windsor.jpg

lol...each State has diff styles. Colonial look is still very popular in SA so I would go with that type of look.

In Qld, I think like 90% of new homes are rendered or bagged similar to no.9.

but i have noticed that brick homes are starting to become popular again. guess people realize that the maintenance is too high.

nathan...maybe you haven't seen the waterfront homes in the GC or Noosa canals? all rendered and all very expensive.

I voted 4 and 9.

I too reckon rendering is on the way out.

A lot of rendered stuff around here is starting to look faded and tatty after only 2 or 3 years. Too much painting.

Ask yourself. Why do a brick home and then paint it every 4 years or so?

I am living in a 50 year old brick home that has had NO maintenenec done to the walls. Still looks fine.

I voted no. 3. I quite like the look of bricks as opposed to rendering.

One thing I would suggest though, and this is just personal opinion - I would avoid those little portico's they are building on so many of the new houses these days (like photos 8 & 9). Really don't like the look of them, and I honestly think that in about 15yrs we'll look at these houses and say "what we're people thinking?!"

WG is a good area though Gools, well done. Are you building two, or did you buy a block of land?

Hi, number 3.

Render doesn't look as good as brick but I saw one really good one in Lower Mitcham with rendered quoins (moulded). The old brickwork was fretted & the rendered finish really lifted the renovated house out of the 50s/60s into the present. Fitted perfectly into the streetscape too.

So it depends on your finished product.

Good luck,
KY

I voted 4 but it would possibly be better without the centre column in the garage and one full width door instead.
I guess it depends on the area too. I don't think there are any bricklayers up here, 99% of new is rendered block. I personally like the traditional look of brick and dislike the work involved in external painting.

A big thank you to everyone who has provided comment and voted so far. Sure is an interesting result at this stage.

WG is a good area though Gools, well done. Are you building two, or did you buy a block of land?
Steve, we bought an old housing trust property and have just been going through quotes etc for the build and currently have the site being surveyed.
We, at this stage, plan to build one and sell the other block. We had been looking in Hillcrest for a suitable development site but they were starting to hit $400k and with the footings costs about $5k cheaper in WG than North of North East Rd we started to look in there instead.

There were a few >800sqm sites for sale around Christmas time for around $310k but they seem to be more like $350k now. Interesting times ahead and it looks like the first lot of Northgate blocks will be by ballot and more than likely townhouse sites.

Thanks again.

Gools, yeah ballot system at Northgate wouldn't surprise me with the amount of demand the releases are going to get. You're right though, a lot of small blocks and medium density development.

i voted 5.

i think 4 looks dated and 6 will date quickly. 5 is modern but bland, so a snazzy garden and fence will bring it right up - and in 10 years time you can redo the garden and fence and modernize it back up again without having to touch the house.

don't know why some seem to think render looks shabby after a couple of years. we recently painted out previous ppor (just before selling) for it's first time in 10 years. The underneath paint was still fine, but the colour was starting to date and with a few serious days of painting (we only put one coat on because the colour was more modern but not excessively different) the place looked brand new.

Back