Facebook mumbo jumbo

Hi All

I have just started using facebook in a more determined way.

Was conversing with someone and arranged to catch up and entered my mobile number.

At the end of that session I was suddenly logged out and when I went to log back in FB came up with some stuff about spamming for friends and then presented a list of supposed friend requests I had sent.

Some of the friend requests were ones I had sent (about 5) with no answer but the rest looked more like my mobile phone directory. More to the point it included people that I am sure I have severed ties with.

I am inclined to believe that FB did a match against my mobile number and generated all the request as the subsequent FB sign on problem occurred shortly there after.

Any in site from those who have been on FB?

Cheers

You might be watched by the NSA...... ;)

Hi All

I have just started using facebook in a more determined way.

Was conversing with someone and arranged to catch up and entered my mobile number.

At the end of that session I was suddenly logged out and when I went to log back in FB came up with some stuff about spamming for friends and then presented a list of supposed friend requests I had sent.

Some of the friend requests were ones I had sent (about 5) with no answer but the rest looked more like my mobile phone directory. More to the point it included people that I am sure I have severed ties with.

I am inclined to believe that FB did a match against my mobile number and generated all the request as the subsequent FB sign on problem occurred shortly there after.

Any in site from those who have been on FB?

Cheers

Handy, your facebook page is a bit different to any others I've come across. I tried to befriend you, but the normal links aren't there. But it says I can send you a message, which is unusual if your not a FB friend. But when I go to do that it says it will get sent to your other folder, what ever that is? I gave up.

Your page is definitely different from other FB pages. Where on any other FB page you click 'Add friend', yours has 'Send message'.

Try to be my friend and see what happens? Or have you already done that? If so, I got no message?

See ya's.

So I just sent you a message. It went to your "Other folder".

I've never seen that before.

See ya's.

Hi TC

I have just replied and sent you a friend request.

I suspect what you are seeing is as a result of my security settings.

Presently I have it set to friends of friends but you can only see my page if you are a friend.

gtbs - I didn't enter my mobile into FB settings I only used my mobile as text in a message to someone. It was just to coincidental that as soon as I had used the number the prompt from FB happened. Searching via google does turn up similar complaints about it happening to other people but not as to exactly why.

Cheers

Facebook is the worst thing that has happened to the internet IMO. It has ruined so many lives and still people are so hooked on it that personal interaction is gone by the wayside and will never be the same again. Facebook creators are more than aware of the damage done and lives being ruined daily yet they sit up there in their castle and rake in the cash without a care for the families left to pick up the pieces of their shattered lives. A study was done comparing FB to the online dating sensation of yrs back when so many lives were ruined by infidelity and marriage breakdowns and now to add to it, the amount of suicides through FB bullying, racism, and infidelity rates soaring etc. FB alone is responsible for more suicides of our kids than any other form of interaction.
I myself fell victim to a bitter ex-partner who decided to make a page using my name and invited everyone I knew to join her friends list and wham. The slander I copped was unbelievable. People were ringing me every day until the page was taken down. This took 4 weeks of reports by everyone for FB to finally remove it. There was nothing the police would do as supposedly it isn't a crime. I don't use FB, nor have I ever used it and this shows how easy it is to have your life electronically violated and the potential for irreversible damage to be done to ones personal and professional life is huge.
FB has a lot to answer for and I personally hoped that the threat to delete the whole site from the internet by "Anonymous' some time ago would be carried out.
I hate to rain on anyones parade but next time you log on, just pause for a second and think about the shattered lives because you just never know you or one of your loved ones may become FB's next victim.
Sorry but I had to vent as my dislike for FB goes very deep.

In the android Facebook app there is an option to look up potential Facebook friends from the contacts in your phone. Bit of a stalker utility as people can find out your surnames just from your phone number if you list it in your Facebook information.

Facebook is the worst thing that has happened to the internet IMO. It has ruined so many lives and still people are so hooked on it that personal interaction is gone by the wayside and will never be the same again.

FB doesnt ruin peoples lives...People are the only ones doing that. FB is just one medium they use.

Seriously think Facebook knows so much more about you than they let on.. they clearly look at your internet history and put ads up that relate to it and check out your photos. I'm a bit of a hairy bloke and I'm always getting hair removal ads all over my facey!

I believe FB generates messages to promote its services.

I was "invited" to play a game by a friend (money involved to buy credits ???) when said friend never sent the invitation.
Marg

Curious to know how you all use facebook. I have just set up a separate account for my investing/property interests to keep it away from my personal life. I think it is a really great networking tool.

I dont get how fb algorhithms work either!

In my 'friends you may know" list, I have a few people that I worked with 12 years ago, I only chatted with them at work, never exchange numbers or emails, and they are popping up on my list.

on top of that, I logged in for the first time in a while, and and ive got people from primary school whom I was in the same class but never kept in touch with (well before emails/fb were around) on my list

its absolutely bizzare!!

I have just set up a separate account for my investing/property interests to keep it away from my personal life. I think it is a really great networking tool.
Can't you use LinkedIn for that?

In my 'friends you may know" list, I have a few people that I worked with 12 years ago, I only chatted with them at work, never exchange numbers or emails, and they are popping up on my list.

on top of that, I logged in for the first time in a while, and and ive got people from primary school whom I was in the same class but never kept in touch with (well before emails/fb were around) on my list
Friends of friends??

facebook-youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg

:p
come-on-facebook-just-40-more-likes.jpg

Back