Facebook mumbo jumbo

I think the amount of information people put up about themselves on facebook is crazy. Once the information is up, they own it, and can what they like with it. Regardless of the security settings you have no idea where your information is being sent or what it is being used for.

I dont get how fb algorhithms work either!

In my 'friends you may know" list, I have a few people that I worked with 12 years ago, I only chatted with them at work, never exchange numbers or emails, and they are popping up on my list.

on top of that, I logged in for the first time in a while, and and ive got people from primary school whom I was in the same class but never kept in touch with (well before emails/fb were around) on my list

its absolutely bizzare!!

Did you add your school in the 'about me' part?

Lizzie's FB Rules

rule #1 - Don't put up any personal information about you on the post section ... if someone asks, send them a private message.

By personal information I mean phone number, email address, physical address, date of birth - anything that a hacker can use ... and yes ... I had my page hacked by hubby's ex-wife - she didn't write anything but just viewed - good grief - what on earth for!

rule #2 - Don't put anything up on facebook that you wouldn't feel comfortable having your Grandma read/see over your shoulder

rule #3 - Screw your privacy settings down so that only your friends can view what you post - not friends of friends because you don't know who their friends are (go into the little flower icon on the top rhs)

rule #4 - only friend people who, if you ran into them in the street, you would go "hey - have you got time to grab a coffee and catch up?"

rule #5 - if you are ever notified someone has logged into your FB page from another location - and it wasn't you or a location where your ISP server is located - change your password immediately (I ignored that one the first time - won't do it again)

rule #6 - don't fill out all the personal information stuff (phone number, school etc)- no matter how many times they nag - it's just a marketing ploy to find target audiences for products

And that's about it ... I love it to keep in contact with worldwide family and a selection of good friends

1/ Do NOT use your regular email address to log in. Create a new email acc used only for fb and NOTHING else. Go to Yahoo, Gmail or Hotmail and create a new one, it'll take 3 mins. This is so connections to people you email cannot be made and no-one can search for you by using your email address. Google your email address and you might be surprised what it reveals about you. When searching for a name on fb you can also search using an email address which is much more powerful because "[email protected]" is unique but you'll get a lot of hits for "Tom Harrison". To make it easy, create a new email address the same as your regular one but put "fb" in front of it.

2/ Go into your settings > security and ensure you're logged out of others locations. Then change your password again.

3/ Don't play online games or tell people your mother's maiden name, name of first pet or the first street you lived in because these are often used as security questions. There is no mechanism on fb to change your security questions but it's possible to trick it into letting you by purposely entering incorrect information. Search Google for more info on this method. It's important to change security questions if you think someone close to you would know this info.

4/ Disable the ability to search for your name in the settings.

5/ Do not publish your DOB, address, school or workplace.

6/ Resist the urge to post anything on fb. It may hurt your ego to not show off the new car or what you ate for lunch but stay strong. Only respond if someone writes on your wall or requires a response. The less you write or "like" the better off you'lll be.

7/ Make everything visible to friends only.

8/ Don't upload any photos. If you already have albums then change the setting so that only you can see them, or better yet delete them. If you want to show off your pics then create a photobucket, dropbox acc or similar and send a link to those you wish to view the contents. Make sure you check the privacy settings as the default is usually the public can see everything.

Just dont go there.
No need to.
You can email people cant you?

I found facebook a very awkward and dangerous thing and canned it very quickly.
Dont need it.

"If you're not paying for the product, you are the product" is a saying that applies best to sites like Facebook, Linkedin, etc - Instagram owns all the photos they have on their website to take just one example.

Just follow the money. Users pay nothing. Advertisers pay Facebook for ads and information about you. They are selling "you" to others. I can see how this works for Facebook and the marketing companies but I'm still completely mystified why so many people are happy to take part in the scam.

I can remember many moons ago my wife received a friend request from one of her actual friends which led her to try and setup an account. After she ticked the wrong box, Facebook emailed everyone in our address book with "friend requests". What a nightmare! Not to mention trying to delete the account at the time was like pulling teeth.

Never again. I'm happy to stick with "real" friends.

I can remember many moons ago my wife received a friend request from one of her actual friends which led her to try and setup an account. After she ticked the wrong box, Facebook emailed everyone in our address book with "friend requests". What a nightmare!
It's not a check box, you have to actually give Facebook your email password for it to get access to your address book. It always tries this with new users, a surprising number of people comply.

I joined fb only to access photos my dancing teacher posted. I took ages to add just one photo, and don't use it anyway. I'd be happy to remove my photo but happy to leave it up in case someone wants to check that it is "me" they might be searching for. Honestly though, I don't think anybody will be searching for me.

Today I tried to log in and realised the login account was an old one, now changed. I couldn't log in and started to ask for a new password via a new email, but decided against that.

I did get in so anybody emailing me will not get me anyway, unless I give FB my new email address, which I think I won't do.

1/ Do NOT use your regular email address to log in. Create a new email acc used only for fb and NOTHING else. Go to Yahoo, Gmail or Hotmail and create a new one, it'll take 3 mins. This is so connections to people you email cannot be made and no-one can search for you by using your email address. Google your email address and you might be surprised what it reveals about you. When searching for a name on fb you can also search using an email address which is much more powerful because "[email protected]" is unique but you'll get a lot of hits for "Tom Harrison". To make it easy, create a new email address the same as your regular one but put "fb" in front of it.

Do you recommend I leave my old email address there? I will not get any emails because I can no longer access it. I'm guessing you would advice against replacing it with a new email address, seeing I don't use FB anyway.

2/ Go into your settings > security and ensure you're logged out of others locations. Then change your password again.

I cannot see anywhere else other than my own location. Is that okay?

3/ Don't play online games or tell people your mother's maiden name, name of first pet or the first street you lived in because these are often used as security questions. There is no mechanism on fb to change your security questions but it's possible to trick it into letting you by purposely entering incorrect information. Search Google for more info on this method. It's important to change security questions if you think someone close to you would know this info.

I tried to remove my high school and my DOB but it won't allow me. Any hints on how to remove my DOB?

4/ Disable the ability to search for your name in the settings.

I clicked on "settings" next to the padlock in the blue bar at the top but cannot see where I can disable the ability to search for my name.

5/ Do not publish your DOB, address, school or workplace.

Too late, and cannot remove them, unless there is a trick to doing so.

6/ Resist the urge to post anything on fb. It may hurt your ego to not show off the new car or what you ate for lunch but stay strong. Only respond if someone writes on your wall or requires a response. The less you write or "like" the better off you'lll be.

7/ Make everything visible to friends only.

8/ Don't upload any photos. If you already have albums then change the setting so that only you can see them, or better yet delete them. If you want to show off your pics then create a photobucket, dropbox acc or similar and send a link to those you wish to view the contents. Make sure you check the privacy settings as the default is usually the public can see everything.

I've never bothered with FB and don't need any extra ways to waste my time :D.

However, I'm happy to keep my account so I can see the photos that go up from my younger days by my dancing teacher.

Is my low level of "presence" safe enough?

You can't 'remove' your date of birth, just not make it easily viewable. Any system administrator, anywhere in the world, that administers FB infrastructure can access it - it won't actually be deleted. FB can also do what they like with it, including selling that information to other parties.

You can't 'remove' your date of birth, just not make it easily viewable. Any system administrator, anywhere in the world, that administers FB infrastructure can access it - it won't actually be deleted. FB can also do what they like with it, including selling that information to other parties.
And is why my DOB on FB is actually not real.
I refuse to put info like that on any site like that for that very reason.

But then, I'm paranoid & won't even have flybuys - I dont want ppl like Woolies (& their friends) knowing what I buy :D

3/ Don't play online games or tell people your mother's maiden name, name of first pet or the first street you lived in
I just lie. My mothers maiden name could be "timbers", my first pet "painful" or my first street "yellow"

I just put in stuff that I know I will remember but would make no sense to anyone else.

Another site had a security "favorite tv show" that I set up years ago. I never did crack that one. I have no idea what I was watching in the 90s.

I use facebook. But not in the "I just ate, here's a photo of my food" or "today I am feeling :sadface:" or "Here's a photo of my 70" plasma tv. Now I am going to Japan for a month, please rob me while my house is empty" type of way.

I posted some photos of my reno. I post articles from the newspaper I find interesting some times and organise bike rides. Mostly I just read and comment on other peoples posts. I only have a few "friends" ... what are all people I know in real life and keep in regular contact with.

I don't mind it. It's useful to for me to keep in contact with people I would otherwise only see occasionally. But I unfriend people who post too much, so I have a pretty clean timeline.

I use facebook. But not in the "I just ate, here's a photo of my food" or "today I am feeling :sadface:" or "Here's a photo of my 70" plasma tv. Now I am going to Japan for a month, please rob me while my house is empty" type of way...

:p Reminds me of some friends and relatives. lol

I have used Facebook to keep in touch with daughters travelling the world. I have received a Facebook message (which is one way of sending free messages instantly) at 5AM from one daughter at 5AM to tell me she's going paragliding in Guatemala- and then 3 hours later watch the video on Facebook.

"If you're not paying for the product, you are the product" is a saying that applies best to sites like Facebook, Linkedin, etc - Instagram owns all the photos they have on their website to take just one example.

Just follow the money. Users pay nothing. Advertisers pay Facebook for ads and information about you. They are selling "you" to others. I can see how this works for Facebook and the marketing companies but I'm still completely mystified why so many people are happy to take part in the scam.

I can remember many moons ago my wife received a friend request from one of her actual friends which led her to try and setup an account. After she ticked the wrong box, Facebook emailed everyone in our address book with "friend requests". What a nightmare! Not to mention trying to delete the account at the time was like pulling teeth.

Never again. I'm happy to stick with "real" friends.

Reminded me of this :D

facebook-2.jpg

And

facebook_in_reality_9402.jpg

Funny, but true

wylie coyote,

- I recommend to delete your old email address and replace it with a new one you've just made up. Create a new email address the same as your old one but put "fb" in front it. This way you won't have any contacts associated with the new address. Gmail is easy because you can forward any notifications to your regular email address. Gmail > settings > pop forwarding.

- You should only be logged in to the location you're currently browsing from so that's good in your situation.

- Change your DOB to 01/01/1988 and then make it visible to only you. Reason is because this is the most common date people use online for their DOB. If it's only visible to you then people won't write "HBD" on your wall and you won't have to reply.

- They're always changing the settings and where they hide things but there used to be an option where you could disable search engines from finding your profile.

Sometimes I wonder if we're just to paranoid ... I personally never post my plans before going away ... but asides from that - everything is pretty bland and would only be of interest to family and real friends.

If someone wants to read that, then they're welcome (asides from hubby's ex ;))... but good luck to finding anything to read or view as my security is screwed right down to friends only ...

P.S. Googled my mobile phone number and email address - both of which I've had for 15 odd years ... only reference was on the email to a post on SS made 10 years ago ...

Last edited:
- Change your DOB to 01/01/1988 and then make it visible to only you. Reason is because this is the most common date people use online for their DOB. If it's only visible to you then people won't write "HBD" on your wall and you won't have to reply.
This is good advice. I would never tell google, facebook, microsoft, hotmail or gmail my real date of birth. I assume the data is not secure so just make something up.

Back