Facebook

I joined because my son was travelling around Europe and was too slack to text me. I could get on Facebook and see where he was and what he was up to (but some things I didn't really need to know).:eek: I could send him messages and he'd reply.

I can't believe the private information some people put on it though.
My niece seems to be on it all day. She posts something every hour. Boring stuff like "the kids are driving me mad" "i might go to the gym".

The things that drive me mad is when people put stuff like "I'm angry" and everyone replies "what happened" "are you OK?" Maybe they crave attention?

and twitter!!! anyone use that? I will NOT go there.

Depending on your business or how you get additional income, myspace, FB, Bebo, twitter are all excellent tools if used the right way. Social networking sites a can be a gold mine.

I use facebook a fair bit. Both business and personal. There is often a very blurred line between the two anyway, so it's all good.

Even my main business has its own facebook page now. I don't even know half the people on there; they've added it after seeing one of their friends join the page. It's particularly useful when high-profile people like Michael Yardney, Scott Pape and Rick Otton (and Xenia - thankyou!) become fans. Same deal with the various friendwhores that I know. Facebook then tells all of their friends that they like my business. That's just gold.

The personal stuff is also good for business, I think. Some of the photos and comments that other people have added to my profile aren't always... professional, say, but I'm cool with that. It helps to build that relationship - let alone brand awareness - and shows clients a (slightly) different side.

But really, I just like having another way to talk to people. Communication is a beautiful thing.

Yes great networking tool.

Sue yes, I'm always in trouble with someone for forgetting that they just poped out a baby. Too busy with my 3 and my businesses I guess.

I have grown up around lots of people, open house when I was growing up as my parents owned businesses and bought real estate. They had many functions at home as we do now... constantly...

500 attendees at my wedding.

Even in high school and uni I used to organise 20 to 30 people just to go out and see a movie. Couldn't do it with 2 to 3 people it just didn't feel right.

I love being around and networking with lots of people, I was attracted to business because of this not the other way around.

I make lots of real friends because I meet and network with alot of people. I have clients that will be friends for life.

I married somone from a study group I formed at uni...

Time out for me until next week here.

Cheers XX

As a mod, I did object to this thread. I did not want a whole heap of people just starting a thread to advertise their Facebook page.

But the consensus is that, as long as it keeps within this thread, it's OK.

I use Facebook (and twitter) for two reasons.

One is just to keep in touch with my first daughter. (My second daughter is at home, she's not my "friend" anyway) ; Daughter #1 is on a Top Deck Tour.

This daughter who is travelling from Norway across to Russia on a Top Deck tour, She told me today that she is on her way to Hell. Literally- it's in Norway.

All the best pictures of my daughters have been in Facebook. Photos taken by their friends, and picked out by themselves, have turned out to be far better pix than I could ever take.

The other reason I use Facebook (and Twitter) is to advertise.

Not in any strong way ever. And probably in a way which will not ever do my business any good whatsoever.

I use it to post my signboard for the day.

I hope that my "fun" signboard will bring a smile to somebody somewhere. And I hope that, as a result, people may notice my store and my brand. That's what it's all about. A smile, to add to the happiness in the world. And, possibly, somebody might just buy an extra sub as a result.

I have no evidence that the board has ever improved the business. It probably has not made any difference whatsoever.

As a mod, I did object to this thread. I did not want a whole heap of people just starting a thread to advertise their Facebook page.

But the consensus is that, as long as it keeps within this thread, it's OK.

*nods*

Keenly aware of that. Didn't say a word, let alone post a link.

My previous post was more about the business side of things, following on from Xenia's networking comments.

But, it is more of a personal thing for me, which I kinda touched on above. Especially the photos. I'm just as guilty on that count as anyone else; I think I'm tagged in about 300 or so by now and have uploaded 37 photo albums of my own. Organising / rsvp-ing gatherings and birthdays and other events is easy, too - plus it comes with reminders :D

And, at any given moment I seem to have at least half a dozen friends (in the traditional sense of the word) overseas, so it's great for keeping in touch with them during their travels, as well.

Again, communication is a beautiful thing, I love it. Except with twitter. That one doesn't make any sense at all.

I got into it a little last year, but have backed right off. The privacy thing is an issue, as is the signal /noise ratio.

I think it pays to keep in mind Facebook, Utube, etc all have to make money somehow. The terabytes of data storage and transmission cost big mulah to maintain. A lot of these things that start off free eventually are remodelled and compromised to pull a profit. Otherwise they die.

I find Facebook useful for things like - sharing photos of my children, catching up socially without having to send out a pile of individual emails
Too right, Caroline! I only send a fraction of the individual emails that I used to; now I mostly tell everybody at once, via facebook. :)
I think when you have real friends and family on FB that you care about and keep it private, it's different and becomes extremely valuable tool to keep in contact with them on a daily basis. Just through looking at photos, status updates, videos etc C'mon..who has the time to ring everybody frequently? with FB, I know all my friends birthdays...it's brilliant.
Agreed, love it!
wylie - try it! you will be converted. all my friends that say they won't join are now addicts. It's not time consuming like SS....I do check FB often but not long.
She's right, wylie. It's not as time-consuming as SS, but it is great to hear what people are up to. I particularly like knowing people's movements. I'd never have known that a friend and I would both be in Melbourne at the same time if I hadn't seen it on facebook.
I joined Myspace a while back because everyone said it was fantastic. I just don't 'get' it.
I never got into myspace, either, but I luuuurve facebook.
and twitter!!! anyone use that? I will NOT go there.
Again, communication is a beautiful thing, I love it. Except with twitter. That one doesn't make any sense at all.
Facebook minus... I don't get it, either.

Why? :confused: What do you think the consequences will be?

The point is, I don't like the way how most companies use a 'Recycle Bin' for your account. When I want something deleted, I want it deleted, not deactivated, hidden, offline, or any other BS that somehow means 'delete' to some companies.

I also do not think it is ethical to keep people's information that do not want to be there.

As a business owner, I am very protective over people on my database however I only want the people that want to be there. They are completely wiped off the system if they do not want to be without any further thought.

why hang onto people that you do not resonate with?

I joined FB originally to keep in contact with friends and family around the world. We also have some friends who are Missionaries in places where there is no real phone, but they have satellite internet - so FB was good to watch their kids grow up etc.

since then though I, like Xenia and some of the others, have found private life and professional life lines blurring and in a lot of ways it is really good for business and networking - and if a business client sees the odd picture of my kids, so what... it means i am human too.

as for twitter - only just joined after passionate resistance for a long time, but taking on the marketing for this development Sailesh and I are working on meant being creative - in a matter of a couple of weeks we have around a 1000 people following the development activity and have had some inquiry from it.

so whilst there are dangers and privacy issues to be aware of - all in all I think it really is the next big medium for marketing and networking.

LinkedIn is the other one too - FB for professionals!!:p

I joined Myspace a while back because everyone said it was fantastic. I just don't 'get' it. Yeah, right, a blurb about me and a friend or two, haven't touched it for yeaaaaars now. Can't see FB being any different, except the MIL thing.

Oh yeah, another one who doesn't 'get it'. As if I want to know the minutiae of other people's lives. I have had an account on facebook for maybe 6 months, and think it is simply boring. I think it is ok for networking, so maybe there needs to be a 'professional account' like networking with Xenia, and then a separate account which is just for close family and friends.

Yes, even us professional people who like to network have kids and families.

What thoughts are you carrying around in your mind if you have the need to always be private? You function much more effectively those issues and concerns were not there. My advice is get rid of them they serve no purpose.

I met my other half in a computer game :D He was a scantily clad half-elf with big boobies on display.

Twitter sounds interesting. I could be tempted to sign up and tweet.

Back