Facebook

I'm not much of a Facebooker either. I joined under sufferance urged on by a friend. I quickly had 'friends' wanting to be added - people I don't even speak to in the real world! And every time you add a new 'friend' they start sending you all the great causes to join thinking you'd be interested in them. News flash - I'm not. Get lost - I'll find my own causes thanks.

And every application (even to play a game of scrabble or something equally as innocent) is only available to you if you agree that they can have access to all the info in your profile. It's not really free then is it?! And why do they want access to your profile to play a game of scrabble?

I don't like that I get tagged in photos that I haven't given permission to post or for my name to be added to and it makes for some 'tense' conversations when I ask they be taken off. There's also some birthday book or calendar or something I've been asked to add to. Yeah, like I want to put my full, real name and my birth date on a public site!

The internet is a wonderful thing and there is a lot to be gotten from it, but we all know it can also be used for evil! When you get wrapped up in sites like FB you forget all the info you're putting on about yourself and others and who you are sharing it with. Why make it easy for the 'baddies.'

And what of the 'story' that FB is actually run by the CIA? Plenty of sites are talking about it. http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=23350

If you take a step back and just think about it - it's so obvious that FB and other similar sites are just great, big, huge information gathering sites. As to who is gathering the info and what they are using it all for - who knows. My bug bear is WHY do they want to know.

I've also found that my friends that I used to see often and gasbag for ages with on the phone tend to drop off a bit when they join FB. Either A) because the time they used to spend on the phone with me is now spent on FB or B) because they now use FB to keep in touch with their friends, so I need to be a member to find out what's happening in their lives by way of quick, witty one liners and their posted photos. No thanks, give me a good gasbag or a catch up over coffee any day.

Not getting involved with FB is my quiet little protest to try to retain some semblance of privacy from marketers, CIA or whoever the hell else wants to know my ins and outs, life story and every detail about me, and to maintain my REAL friendships.

Olly

Question for the facebookers

What are the rules for declining friend requests from people who you don't know, don't remember, or, don't like.
I have been doing that, just keeping it simple, for friends and family, nice people only.
I declined someone, and now there they are again, wanting me for a friend.

What are the un-written rules?

I joined under sufferance urged on by a friend. I quickly had 'friends' wanting to be added - people I don't even speak to in the real world! And every time you add a new 'friend' they start sending you all the great causes to join thinking you'd be interested in them. News flash - I'm not. Get lost - I'll find my own causes thanks.
I can see why people are rushing to want to be your friend. :rolleyes: Gees, Olly, when did you get to be so *****ly?
Olly said:
And what of the 'story' that FB is actually run by the CIA? Plenty of sites are talking about it. http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=23350
Yes, that's very persuasive. I'm convinced.
Olly said:
If you take a step back and just think about it - it's so obvious that FB and other similar sites are just great, big, huge information gathering sites. As to who is gathering the info and what they are using it all for - who knows. My bug bear is WHY do they want to know. ... Not getting involved with FB is my quiet little protest to try to retain some semblance of privacy from marketers, CIA or whoever the hell else wants to know my ins and outs, life story and every detail about me, and to maintain my REAL friendships.
"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!" :D

Seriously, the thing that amuses me about conspiracy theorists is why they think they're so interesting to other people. I'm not so arrogant as to think that I'm so fascinating that my innocuous activities are of interest to complete strangers. (To friends, I hope, but not to "the government" and other faceless organisations.)

Having in the past held a fairly high level security clearance, I also believe that most conspiracy theorists are way overestimating the efficiency and level of resources available to intelligence-gathering agencies. ;)

What are the rules for declining friend requests from people who you don't know, don't remember, or, don't like.
I just ignore them. They're probably not consciously trying to add you again; they probably asked facebook to check who in their address book was on fb but not yet a friend, and sent invites to all of them to be a friend - dozens or hundreds of the things. (I don't do this, but lots do.)

I don't think it's polite or necessary to send a message saying "I don't feel close enough to you to add you as a friend". If you're not that close, they probably sent out heaps of these invites and haven't even noticed whether you've accepted or not. Responding just draws attention to something they probably hadn't noticed, and makes you seem rude/*****ly (IMHO).

If they do notice that you hadn't accepted, they'll probably just assume that you either don't go to facebook very often, don't use it anymore, or hadn't noticed the friend request. There are heaps of reasons why you mightn't respond.

I'd only say something if somebody specifically asked you why you hadn't responded.

I quickly had 'friends' wanting to be added - people I don't even speak to in the real world!
It’s probably not a bad idea for you to edit your privacy settings Olly. Your face pops up all the time as a friend suggestion for me and it will for others as well. People will actually think you want to be friends, not everyone will be out there stalking you.

Facebook and networking sites are the way of the future…….not much we can do about it. You either embrace them and use as a worthwhile tool, or you reject them and prefer to stay in the dark. Luckily we all have choices. For me it’s a great way to stay in touch with and actually know what’s happening with my family and children. It’s a great tool for that, so I love it!! :)

And every application (even to play a game of scrabble or something equally as innocent) is only available to you if you agree that they can have access to all the info in your profile. It's not really free then is it?! And why do they want access to your profile to play a game of scrabble?

I don't like that I get tagged in photos that I haven't given permission to post or for my name to be added to and it makes for some 'tense' conversations when I ask they be taken off.

You raise a lot of interesting points there Olly. And I wonder, with the teens the way they are, exposing all their worldly secrets online, will in future years regret their total lack of privacy. Even when it comes to applying for jobs.

It’s probably not a bad idea for you to edit your privacy settings Olly. Your face pops up all the time as a friend suggestion for me and it will for others as well. People will actually think you want to be friends, not everyone will be out there stalking you.

Hey Ruby, are you saying that unless I get my privacy settings right, I could be sending out 'friend requests' without me even knowing it?

LOL at censoring! In this context, I wasn't saying anything offensive - the word was p r i c k l y!

Ozperp. I was wondering what you had said to Olly! :p

Hey Ruby, are you saying that unless I get my privacy settings right, I could be sending out 'friend requests' without me even knowing it?
No, but you might be popping up to others as a suggested friend. eg if Person X has your email address in their contacts list, when Person X goes onto facebook, you might pop up as a friend suggestion for Person X if you used the same email address to register for facebook. You may not want to be suggested to everybody that has your email though. ;) Friend requests aren't sent out without your involvement, though, no.
Pushka said:
Ozperp. I was wondering what you had said to Olly! :p
Yes, that's why I rushed to explain! It looks like I'd said something really rude. :eek: :D

No, but you might be popping up to others as a suggested friend. eg if Person X has your email address in their contacts list, when Person X goes onto facebook, you might pop up as a friend suggestion for Person X if you used the same email address to register for facebook. You may not want to be suggested to everybody that has your email though. ;) Friend requests aren't sent out without your involvement, though, no.

Yes, that's why I rushed to explain! It looks like I'd said something really rude. :eek: :D
Exactly ozperp, but with Olly I'd say its more us both being members of Pete's Property Investing Group. We have no common friends.

Ruby :)

Question for the facebookers

I have been doing that, just keeping it simple, for friends and family, nice people only.
I declined someone, and now there they are again, wanting me for a friend.

What are the un-written rules?

Don't know about unwritten rules but I was recently given a tip by an avid FBer. If you reject someones request, they can ask you again and this can be repeated over and over unless you ban them or whatever. If however you don't do anything to their request (don't accept or reject) it just sits there waiting for action and they can't ask again. Apparently she's got a few in limbo land and they can't bother her again.

Can you "un friend" someone without them knowing??

Some people are a bit too prolific on FB and it takes up so much space on my FB front page. All this tarot card rubbish and other things they do. I don't want to know everytime they move their left arm!

So as I have a few friends that do this, I would like to make them NOT my friend anymore so my FB page looks less cluttered, but I am worried they will be notified and feel offended.

Also I have a stack of invites to do stuff that I am not interested in. I have the option to "ignore all invites from this friend" but again am concerned that they will be told this.

Silly really that I should be concerned that they will be concerned. I guess this is all the stuff we are feeling our way with in cyberspace:eek:

couple of ways of doing that...

either -

on your home page where their posts come up, if you hover your mouse at the top right of that post it will show a button that says hide...that will turn off notifications for that person.

OR

if you want to get rid of them as a friend, go into their profile and scroll down to the bottom of the far left column under all the personal garbage and there is a link to remove them as friends

either way, they won't know about it unless they go to click on your name at some point and it tells them to request a friend to see your details - then they might twig! ;-)

Can you "un friend" someone without them knowing??

Some people are a bit too prolific on FB and it takes up so much space on my FB front page. All this tarot card rubbish and other things they do. I don't want to know everytime they move their left arm!

So as I have a few friends that do this, I would like to make them NOT my friend anymore so my FB page looks less cluttered, but I am worried they will be notified and feel offended.

Also I have a stack of invites to do stuff that I am not interested in. I have the option to "ignore all invites from this friend" but again am concerned that they will be told this.

No, they don't get told when you drop them. That's easy.

Also, you can opt to ignore whenever someone posts something that's not a status update, photo, or link to an external site; ie, all those facebook application and other such rubbish. If you hover your mouse on the right-hand side of the offending news item, you can see a little remove button. You can then choose to either remove everything related to that application, or, to that person. It won't permanently delete anything, and you stay friends with them, but it won't clutter your main page anymore.

MJ and some of the other smart people here probably know some tricky IT stuff to hide everything in one hit, but it's way over my head.

And no, your friends won't be told if you hit the hide all button. It's pretty good like that.

LOL at censoring! In this context, I wasn't saying anything offensive - the word was p r i c k l y!

I was trying to work it out - knew it wouldn't have been too bad. :p

And actually I've always been p r i c k l y with things like -
  • fill in a form for a competition and you get flooded with other junk. I didn't give them permission to do that and they didn't ask.

• I joined something on the 'net last week and so far have had 9 emails from them - like tips and hints, how to make your experience here better, how to share your stuff, how to join others and so on. There's an FAQ etc on the site with all this info, why do they feel the need to bombard me with emails - but you can't turn them off and now I find them annoying and will probably leave.

• This is the signature at the bottom of my emails -
    LET'S REDUCE SPAM AND MAINTAIN PRIVACY.
    PLEASE don't forward on my emails unless you delete my email details first.
    And PLEASE don't include me in emails to groups of people unless you put my email address in the BCC line. Thanks! :)
    but I still end up with SPAM I have to deal with 'cos some people just don't care or are too lazy to read or act on this.
:(

Basically, I suppose I hate people taking liberties. There's no asking anymore, no manners, etiquette or ethics involved. Everything is open slather. It's not that I'm an intensely private person either - I've shared lots of personal info on this site, but it's been MY choice. It's up to me to share my info not for others to take it and use it.
I have rights too and I feel that they are being eroded everywhere so I take steps to maintain whatever control I can.

I've always been a non-conformist - not going to change now. :)
Happy FBing to you all. :p

Olly

Thanks UC & JGG !!

That is MUCH better. I love the Hide button, this will be very useful for decluttering my front page.

I got my first 'Chat" message yesterday. I was just poking around on my facebook page and one of my friends sent me a chat message and it just popped up. It gave me a surprise. It felt a bit like someone was in the room looking over my shoulder. I haven't used a chat system like this before. They told me how to use it so I now understand better. It is just strange when you get your first one. It's like "how the hell did they know I was here??"

:D

Robbed by Facebook's enemy in the camp

Interesting article here which highlights a danger of facebook

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/security/robbed-by-facebooks-enemy-in-the-camp-20090908-ff5q.html

... The friend had just received a Facebook message, purportedly from Cann, saying she had been seriously assaulted and robbed at gunpoint in London and urgently needed money to get home.

The message, which was sent to all of Cann's 400 friends, asked for an initial amount of $10,000, which had to be wired in cash as soon as possible to a Western Union account.

Back