facing reality

*''I'm saddened that both my girlfriend and I will have no choice but to work well into our 30s so we can squirrel together a deposit for that two-bedroom dive that she's so sure is just around the corner,''*

this was a quote from a freelance writer in smh today. Pathetic. Myself, my parents and my grandparents all made sacrifices well into our 30s and beyond to have what we have today. Many are sacrificing well into their 70s with pension returns at the lowest level in decades. So its time to face the reality. Life is hard. Buckle up and get used to it because it doesnt get easier. And to be honest life never really was easy. You either take charge and get on with life or moan and groan which doesnt change the reality of the situation.

*''I'm saddened that both my girlfriend and I will have no choice but to work well into our 30s so we can squirrel together a deposit for that two-bedroom dive that she's so sure is just around the corner,''*

this was a quote from a freelance writer in smh today. Pathetic. Myself, my parents and my grandparents all made sacrifices well into our 30s and beyond to have what we have today. Many are sacrificing well into their 70s with pension returns at the lowest level in decades. So its time to face the reality. Life is hard. Buckle up and get used to it because it doesnt get easier. And to be honest life never really was easy. You either take charge and get on with life or moan and groan which doesnt change the reality of the situation.

...and that two-bedroom dive is probably in the trendiest of leafy Sydney suburbs, no less.

Oh, the poor dears, pass me the Kleenex. :mad:

Hey, how about compromising/sacrificing and buying something that is comfortable and convenient, stop going to cafe's every morning, buying lunch every day, eating out night 5 nights a week, cut down of the fags, booze, Fox and make do with a single car and start using public transport without taking your twice a year holidays to exotic overseas locations.

:mad:

Some people just want to blame everything else, except themselves.

are you sure that was today? I recall a word for word similar article about 3 -4 weeks ago, basically, some guy whining like a typical Gen Y about entitlements and expectations

...and that two-bedroom dive is probably in the trendiest of leafy Sydney suburbs, no less.

Hey, how about compromising/sacrificing and buying something that is comfortable and convenient, stop going to cafe's every morning, buying lunch every day, eating out night 5 nights a week, cut down of the fags, booze, Fox and make do with a single car and start using public transport without taking your twice a year holidays to exotic overseas locations.

Yeh that's a great idea - make sacrifices so they can line somebody else's pocket give me a break

Yeh that's a great idea - make sacrifices so they can line somebody else's pocket give me a break

The sacrifices mentioned wouldn't be lining anybody else's pocket (I assume you mean some landlord). If they made those sacrifices, they could be lining their own pocket by being able to afford to buy something more to their liking, that they cannot whilst living the high life.

The reality is I read more moaning about Gen Y's moaning (from older generations) than I actually hear Gen Y moaning :eek: Most of my Gen Y colleagues and friends are just quietly tucking away dollars without much complaint at all.

Vested interests such as REIA and HIA are the loudest complainers about the smaller/changed FHOG incentives.

While I agree what you said, in some situation in terms of transport in Sydney, drive to work is cheaper and better choice than taking public transport.

I live in eastern suburb where there is no trains at all. Only buses. I worked in City, West (few different locations in west) and somewhere right outside city. Except work in City I take bus (as parking is expensive), for the rest of the location, in terms of time and money, I drive is better than public transport.

I worked at somewhere near Westmead before, Weekly bus+train ticket at that time (few yrs back) cost me approx $50+ wk where as drive, each wk cost me a tank of fuel ($40-45)/week at that time, including go to market on wkend. It also takes me 2 hrs one way to work if public transport but 1.5 hrs only if drive.

Lets say when I work close to city but not in city, I have to either take 1 trip of bus (25-45 mins travel)+ 15-20 mins walk or 2 trips of bus (one way). If drive it takes 25-30 mins door to door. For bus only weekly cost me $30+ but drive $20 / week (including wkend market).

Therefore when NSW tries to implement toll road in city or wants to do something to decrease the congestion, they better know why people like to drive instead of taking transport. Don't forget many public transport always not on time.......... or out of services ..etc

I still remember when I take train in one of my job about 8 yrs back, the station always have an announcement (pretty much everyday) the train will be delayed by x mins.... how can we rely on the services?

Moreover, in some situation which go to city during wkend, drive is cheaper than taking bus. I seldom go to city therefore I either have 10 pass / buy the ticket on the bus (although some of the buses only accept prepaid).. each trip cost me at least $2.6 (few yrs back). Consider a family of 4, it cost the family $10 1 way, more than $20 return trip. However park in City all day cost $15 only. Why not drive?

The sacrifices mentioned wouldn't be lining anybody else's pocket (I assume you mean some landlord). If they made those sacrifices, they could be lining their own pocket by being able to afford to buy something more to their liking, that they cannot whilst living the high life.

No I mean buying a house in this overpriced market, like say the two bedroom dive example in the SMH article, because "íts close to the city", so some other chump can but a boat and retire.

as for the usual crap from baby boomers about how they did it tough, eating stale bread and sleeping on the floor so they could buy their first home - I don't buy it and besides, the reality is, houses cost a lot more when compared to what the average hack earns than they ever have in this country, so the sacrifices are greater.

Yep was today http://m.smh.com.au/domain/real-est...eeze-on-first-home-buyers-20130601-2nihw.html

but couls be a rehash of an old article. As pt says the same complaint has been happening for centuries. The peasants in medieval england were probably also complaining they couldnt get a decent shack in the right part of the city as the nobles had priced them out.

I read it a few weeks ago too on a blog site. Someone from school posted it on facebook. Actually he has been posting a lot of boohoo life is hard articles lately. And a few dozen people 'like' the posts each time.

Lol actually his last article was how to make money from OTP investments. Authored by a developer mind you. Hehe.

I must admit things were a lot easier thirty years ago un the UK with regards to buying a house.

It was a normal right of passage, most of my generation moved out of home fairly early, either went to uni, or got a job, rented for a bit, and then bought a unit or small house in our early twenties. No big deal, you were looking at spending 30/40k when wages were 15/20k, so I can see that things have changed a fair bit.

There certainly wasn't such a big issue around the whole deal, like owning a house was particularly clever, or renting was somehow socially inferior.

The major difference was that renting was relatively expensive, as you paid a premium to rent, but it made sense if you were not sure where you would be spending your future. Buying is what you did when you felt relatively settled.
Many of my mates left school at 14 to work, and had a house by 18.

No I mean buying a house in this overpriced market, like say the two bedroom dive example in the SMH article, because "íts close to the city", so some other chump can but a boat and retire.

as for the usual crap from baby boomers about how they did it tough, eating stale bread and sleeping on the floor so they could buy their first home - I don't buy it and besides, the reality is, houses cost a lot more when compared to what the average hack earns than they ever have in this country, so the sacrifices are greater.

Like PTB said.

People today have had it the toughest. :rolleyes:

I think age is irrelevant, its more about having a positive attitude and prepared to give it a go. For some reason media wants to rehash this old argument, must be running out of stories:rolleyes:

I believe what stops people moving forward ie creating wealth is a negative attitude, if you don't believe and only see obstacles then how can you achieve this goal.

MTR

Last edited:
as for the usual crap from baby boomers about how they did it tough, eating stale bread and sleeping on the floor so they could buy their first home - I don't buy it

That comment is extremely disrespectful to your elders.

Your attitude needs adjusting, nothing else.

besides, the reality is, houses cost a lot more when compared to what the average hack earns than they ever have in this country, so the sacrifices are greater.

That argument was put forward by Gen Y members on an ABC forum a few years back. A Gen Y invitee to the show (our very own Nathan Birch) thought your whole argument was bollocks, and proved it by owning 8 small houses and apartments at the time, having worked his way up from scratch.

The moaners continued their futile arguments in vain against him, as if he was a traitor to the cause. He was living proof sitting right next to them that their argument was a nonsense.

Nathan has since gone on to increase his portfolio from 8 to about 80 in subsequent years.

The moaners are still sitting their moaning, arguing until they are blue in the face that it is impossible to purchase one.

They now ignore or belittle Nathan with typical little "yeah but...." sentences.

I suggest you sit there tambourineman and moan a bit more, waiting for someone, or Govt to make things easier for you, instead of you getting off your @r$e and making yourself better. Knock yourself out, the winners of this world aren't listening to your moaning.

That comment is extremely disrespectful to your elders.

Your attitude needs adjusting, nothing else.

That argument was put forward by Gen Y members on an ABC forum a few years back. A Gen Y invitee to the show (our very own Nathan Birch) thought your whole argument was bollocks, and proved it by owning 8 small houses and apartments at the time, having worked his way up from scratch.

The moaners continued their futile arguments in vain against him, as if he was a traitor to the cause. He was living proof sitting right next to them that their argument was a nonsense.

Nathan has since gone on to increase his portfolio from 8 to about 80 in subsequent years.

The moaners are still sitting their moaning, arguing until they are blue in the face that it is impossible to purchase one.

They now ignore or belittle Nathan with typical little "yeah but...." sentences.

I suggest you sit there tambourineman and moan a bit more, waiting for someone, or Govt to make things easier for you, instead of you getting off your @r$e and making yourself better. Knock yourself out, the winners of this world aren't listening to your moaning.

I'm doing just fine thanks , I'm already a winner - you think I need to own several properties to be a 'winner'? I don't have a problem with the idea of owning property I just think its expensive at the moment for what it is.

Back