facing reality

Google ecologically sustainable development it is possible. I think urban sprawl is more of an Americanism not relevant to Australia there is abundant land here

The length of the combined Kwinana - Mitchell Freeway in Perth is 102km. I think that's more than enough urban sprawl for a population of only 1.8m.

Abundant land causes urban sprawl! If more land was reserved for productive uses like broadacre farming, we wouldn't have this problem but we keep putting land under 250sqm single storey houses because they're the cheapest form of construction per sqm and we must all have a home theatre, regardless of how far we live from anywhere. Or we cut up productive farm land into rural residential "lifestyle" blocks with an olive grove, an ornamental dam and an alpaca. We live in a profligate society with no view past our own short term luxuries unfortunately... :(

I can understand ecologically the Sydney basin being vastly, completely different to 200years ago, with what must be well over 60-70% of the land covered by rooftops which drain into gutters and then into streams then harbour. Not even mentioning the sewerage system.

Once upon a time that land soaked up most rain before running off in a natural way.

Incredible really.

Also, what are the problems you mention ?

the fact that all these far out suburbs have to be serviced with all the accompanying infrastructure including schools, shops, roads, public transport etc. inevitably public transport will be rubbish which mean the roads will be absolutely clogged around there as we've been seeing in perth recently

also the apparent need for everyone to have land and the absolute obsession us aussies have for some reason with new, often shitty houses means building cheap hotboxes which are no good for the environment in any way. this is admittedly improving with 6 star energy ratings now compulsory but a lot of the 90s and 2000s subdivisiosn are horrible examples of sprawl from a design and environment POV

crappy homes with no eaves and black tiled roofs that require reliance on mechanical cooling and heating and tiny backyards with no trees and full of hard surfaces with lawns out the front that need lots of water throughout the year

you'll have to work pretty hard to convince me that is good for the environment.

im genuinely curious as to how living in sprawl suburbs can be considered good for the environment
By choosing already established houses rather than going for new builds and adding to urban sprawl - assuming you feel urban sprawl is a problem.

Kudos HE. tried to give you some but apparently youve received too many from me

Don't worry I gave some instead. I can't give any to you for your post though. Agree though.

One of the failures of the current planning framework is encouraging greenfield development sprawl over sustainable development.

Back