facing reality

There are other roses to smell... horses for courses.

Im married to a horsey girl/family and it is a passion I can tell you.

I have grown to enjoy it too, very skillfull and responsible pastime and you get to travel and meet folks all around the country. Lots of campfires after events and BS stories until next time we meet.

I believe Lizzie is quite involved with Junior and her horse while living the dream in the lovely Hunter Valley sipping fine wine by night and taking care of business by day.

Sounds good actually.

Reading this thread reminds me of a poem that I often recite to the kids who struggle with self confidence, when I teach them. It applies not only for sports, but for all things in life.

http://www.anthonybasich.com/inspiration/the-man-who-thinks-he-can/

Basically, if you think you can't afford to buy a house (or do, be, achieve anything), you are right. On the otherhand, if you think you can, you are also right. In this case you will set about what is needed to do to get what you want.

So, yes. I agree! Houses ARE too expensive. No, you won't ever buy one.

Happy?

I came across this poem in a fitness magazine at the gym 17 years ago. I copied it down then and even today it sits proudly on the wall in my study.

The original: The Victor was written by: C. W. Longenecker

Sounds good actually.

It is actually - and you won't ever hear me complain I "can't afford" ... even if my half finished kitchen is put on hold because the finances are being directed into urgent maintenance and business plans ... I have an oven/cooktop/sink/fridge/microwave ... what else does a girl need in a plaster and timber kitchen? It's more than I've had during other renos ... gosh ... one I went for 6 months with a fridge/microwave/vanity/crockpot and bbq.

Even when we were at a real financial low - I took full responsibility for the situation and after a good cry pulled the socks up and we got through.

The point of this thread is the complainers - not those who just get stuck in and do.

Off to look at a potential new horse next week ... :D

There's the clanger right there and the most relevant comment for this thread.

I think if you delve deep, you will find that this is a common attribute for many of the older forumites.

As the saying goes, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going."

Something that many of the latte sipping younger crowd don't understand is that if you want what 'we' (us oldies) have, you have to be prepared to do what we did. Not sit & moan! Not wish it was different! Not blame those that went before! Actually get out there & MAKE it happen.

Sure things are different now, some things are harder, some things are easier, some things cost more (relative to income), some things cost less, yes, there's more to spend your money on, but hey, there was plenty of distractions for us too, and you don't really NEED all that stuff do you?

It's not impossible to get ahead now, just like it wasn't back when we were young. There's plenty of others doing it. So.....if you can't afford to buy, then you really need to take a hard look at yourself, your lifestyle etc, and work out why. Work out what you can change to get what you want. If you are drowning in debt, well, you've only got yourself to blame, so get in there & FIX it.

I think if you delve deep, you will find that this is a common attribute for many of the older forumites.

Something that many of the latte sipping younger crowd don't understand is that if you want what 'we' (us oldies) have, you have to be prepared to do what we did. Not sit & moan! Not wish it was different! Not blame those that went before! Actually get out there & MAKE it happen.

Sure things are different now, some things are harder, some things are easier, some things cost more (relative to income), some things cost less, yes, there's more to spend your money on, but hey, there was plenty of distractions for us too, and you don't really NEED all that stuff do you?

It's not impossible to get ahead now, just like it wasn't back when we were young. There's plenty of others doing it. So.....if you can't afford to buy, then you really need to take a hard look at yourself, your lifestyle etc, and work out why. Work out what you can change to get what you want. If you are drowning in debt, well, you've only got yourself to blame, so get in there & FIX it.

why must this always be turned into some baby boomer Vs gen x or y nonsense?

i agree with the main point, it is important to be a do-er instead of whinging from the sidelines but for god sake can we leave out the childish nonsense about generations?

there are just as many of us younger ones who get off our bums and make things happen, stop thinking you guys are the only special ones.

look at this forum, one of the most successful/high profile investors is gen y (nathan), by the looks of it the majority of developers are a mix of x and y (including WM, OC1, tigerboy, myself etc)

Jeeze. At 28 I should be travelling overseas all the time, rather than having a large block of land that I am rezoning from rural to residential and being part owner of my business, right? And of course I shouldn't be paying to do further study to enable me to further my career, because I'm more interested in iPhones, right? :rolleyes:

I guess Nathan Birch does nothing as well, because he isn't old.

I'm getting really sick of nonsense generational arguments.

Some people, irrespective of age, work bloody hard to get ahead. That part of your post I agree with 100%. But it is down to the individual, not some arbitrary age limit.

Some people, irrespective of age, work bloody hard to get ahead. That part of your post I agree with 100%. But it is down to the individual, not some arbitrary age limit.

And ain't that the truth! It is nothing to do with generation ... just as many oldies whinge they can't afford as they suck on their cigs, down a few crownies, watch their foxtel and think about going down to the pokies.

And ain't that the truth! It is nothing to do with generation ... just as many oldies whinge they can't afford as they suck on their cigs, down a few crownies, watch their foxtel and think about going down to the pokies.

the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

i like doing all of those things and consider myself successful.

the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

i like doing all of those things and consider myself successful.

It's about whether you do these things and then whinge that you cannot afford a deposit.

Obviously someone who already has accumulated wealth or earns a high income can afford $250 pw on Foxtel, smoking, drinking and gambling and still save for a deposit.

Again you miss the point!

sanj, agree it's not so much a generational thing.

The ones most of us are discussing here are the young ones that we are hearing online or seeing in newspaper articles (although the media do try to find a good sob story) who are starting out and who have been bombarded with advertising, images of cool or trendy ways of living, etc. who think it sucks to start at the bottom with a modest 3/1/1 outside of the CBD or tiny unit in the CBD.

Infact there was a not so young couple with 5 kids recently in one paper who could afford $1000 pw rent in a good suburb but could not afford to buy :rolleyes:.

Googled the NSW suburb they lived in and the average priced home was 1.5M.

I wasn't making a crack about the young with this comment.
It's not impossible to get ahead now, just like it wasn't back when we were young. There's plenty of others doing it.

Plenty of others means OF ALL AGES.

why must this always be turned into some baby boomer Vs gen x or y nonsense?

i agree with the main point, it is important to be a do-er instead of whinging from the sidelines but for god sake can we leave out the childish nonsense about generations?

there are just as many of us younger ones who get off our bums and make things happen, stop thinking you guys are the only special ones.

look at this forum, one of the most successful/high profile investors is gen y (nathan), by the looks of it the majority of developers are a mix of x and y (including WM, OC1, tigerboy, myself etc)

If you go back and look at my previous comments, you will find that I already mentioned Nathan and that there are plenty of younger people doing exactly what us older generations have done. My comments are about those that continually complain about it being 'all too expensive'. Yes, you do get them at any age, but there seems to be an awful lot of them that want to blame everything on the Baby Boomers making things too expensive for them.

I guess Nathan Birch does nothing as well, because he isn't old.

See above comments.

Im not sure how you can be surprised that the post was apparently taken out of context when you re-read it, in particular the bolded bits.

there was recently a post about people who selfish stay in Department of Housing properties after their kids have left etc, did you see a single person blaming it on their generation?

And you told me to grow up sanj...???

No one here is targeting you or anyone who is having a go no matter what age.

It's replying to the younger gen that blame the oldies for everything.

Are you one of them?

If yes, then listen up to these people.

If no, then you're ok and stop taking offense to anything mentioned about generations.

When you grow up you will understand.
Believe me, I was a young idiot.

I know im not personally being targeted but im not the only person who has been getting irritated by the silly generational bashing going on on SS recently.

No one generation is better than the next, for god sake most baby boomers will retire on a pension and cost the govt over $500k per person, do you see me calling the entire generations bums/sponges? No you dont because there are plenty of sponges in all generations.

To be fair sanj, the bits you bolded above and object to don't paint an entire generation as anything. Clearly, the reference is to many in the younger generation (ie not all), just as the same can be said for the complaints made by many BBs about the cost of living who haven't saved for their retirement through no-one's fault but their own.

I think we are all actually in furious agreement that many of our fellow citizens, regardless of age, are useless whingers who should pour a cup of concrete over their breakfast in the mornings to harden the $%^& up. Just like there are many fine, upstanding citizens in our society of all ages who are an absolute credit to the human race.

Now, what was the topic again? :rolleyes:

@ sanj

Yes, exactly right.

But you must get a little wiser with this:

Generation after generation has complained about how soft the younger gen are.

been going on for...well, generations.:p

No one here is targeting the younger generation as a whole because we are wiser than that as we know there are the ones that have the smarts and balls to have a go.

But when some come on here and target the older gen as you just have (most baby boomers comment) then there is a right to defend, dont you agree?

There is nothing better than to see a younger gen going flat out and achieving.
If you stop for a minute and listen, you will see that most on here are trying to inspire and encourage with examples of days gone by, meaning "experience".

is that not ok with you sanj?

Fair enough, maybe i am being overly sensitive/a sook. If so i apologise.

Lastly, im genuinely not targeting the older generation with that comment, it is an absolute inescapable fact and not opinion but i wasnt being a smartarse because like i said to me that isnt the whole picture either since people grew up expecting to live off the govts teat which was largely the govts fault.

Interesting to see the amount of social security people get in the US.

I like watching Suze Orman on CNBC and it is horrifying to see how much is given out to people even after they have squillions to retire on themselves.

Up to $6000pcm after tax for a single (I think) person after the age of 67/70!!!! :eek:

I think the longer they wait to claim it the more they can get???

No wonder that country is a basket case.

You are a grown up sanj, dont you worry about that mate.;)

Welfare will always be abused no matter what generation.

But the strong and admirable, like you, will stand up and reject that "easy" life.

You were showing your generational passion on your sleve. Nothing wrong there.
Then apologised ....I'll pay that big time!!!

Wow!:)

Someday you will want to inspire and encourage the young'ns to achieve the success you have, I'll bet all my IP's on that.

Interesting to see the amount of social security people get in the US.

I like watching Suze Orman on CNBC and it is horrifying to see how much is given out to people even after they have squillions to retire on themselves.

Up to $6000pcm after tax for a single (I think) person after the age of 67/70!!!! :eek:

I think the longer they wait to claim it the more they can get???

No wonder that country is a basket case.

Obama care, Obama phones, Obama is moving USA to BIG Govt so he can look after the low info voter (majority).

What happened to the proud American, get in and have a go way that built that nation to be the biggest economy in the world?

Gone from an aspirational to a expectational society IMO.

Back