Facts on tenants with pets

Below was my reply to another post but I thoughts that these facts might interest some people!

These are just observations from our office!

About 30% of the applications that come through to our office have pets.

Many of these are otherwise quality tenants and are willing to sign a lease with a pet clause. We've had applications from people with turtles to one with 2 ridgerian ridgeback (dogs!) and a goat!!!!

Most landlords are willing to accept pets if the house suits.

We've seen more damage caused by ex-boyfriends than pets! BY FAR!!! This is especially true in the Northern suburbs of Adelaide

Damage caused by pets (especially dogs inside) is more prevalent with private landlords who have neglected routine inspections and have no pet clauses. We just have the mess to clean up once we take over!

Tenants sometimes think that cats are stealth pets!
Once a week we catch out tenant applicants who have not disclosed pets in their applications trying to sneak cats into the house. Having a cat is not a problem, dishonesty is! We refuse applications on that basis! And yes we have ways of finding out
(we also catch out tenants who have used their "mates" as landlord or employer references on a weekly basis too)

Last edited:
Many of these are otherwise quality tenants and are willing to sign a lease with a pet clause.

We used to say no pets but they still bring them into the house anyway so I guess you are better off choosing which pets are acceptable?

Xenia, what pet clause do you use?

Cheers,

Bazza

Xenia,

How do you deal with tenants who have snuck pets in? Ask them to remove them and then evict them if they don't? you could be losing an otherwise good tenant and possibly be losing money through vacancy.

I to am interested in what type of pet clause you put in. What do you do if a tenant wants to buy a pet 1/2 way through the lease?

Thanks Pablo.

Xenia,

How do you deal with tenants who have snuck pets in? Ask them to remove them and then evict them if they don't? you could be losing an otherwise good tenant and possibly be losing money through vacancy.

I to am interested in what type of pet clause you put in. What do you do if a tenant wants to buy a pet 1/2 way through the lease?

Thanks Pablo.

I would let them do it.

If they've snuck them in, and if they've been good tenants, let them know that they've breached the Contract, but you'll let it slide until the lease renewal, and make them aware that there will be an extra charge in the next lease renewal.

We allow pets at all our IP's now, and we include an extra charge of $50 per month for the priviledge if they want to have them.

Xen is right - there is more likely to be damage from the humans - especially the children, than the pets.

We are just in the process of putting our PPR out to rent and I have specified no pets, no children under 10. I figure I get no extra money for having a pet weeing on the carpet. On the other hand, we have asked top dollar for property, so if in a couple of weeks we havent got a tenant, the agent said I might start to change my mind. However, after reading the post about rents going up 50% it has alerted me to the fact I will sign a 1 year lease, but can I put in a clause to increase the rent in that time.

Celica,

I believe that you cannot say no children under 10 or at all as that is seen as discrimination.

We are just in the process of putting our PPR out to rent and I have specified no pets, no children under 10. I figure I get no extra money for having a pet weeing on the carpet. On the other hand, we have asked top dollar for property, so if in a couple of weeks we havent got a tenant, the agent said I might start to change my mind. However, after reading the post about rents going up 50% it has alerted me to the fact I will sign a 1 year lease, but can I put in a clause to increase the rent in that time.

I have been told by my PM that once your tenant signs a 12 month lease you can not put the rent up during that lease. So maybe if you want to up the rent after 6 months, only do 6 month leases...

As for pets... In Victoria it appears that the landlord has absolutely no rights even with a NO PET clause in the lease.... They can do what they(The Tenant) like as long as there is no damage...
Why they even have that clause in the lease is a joke to me!

We are just in the process of putting our PPR out to rent and I have specified ... no children under 10.

Ber very very careful here celica ... this is a direct breach of anti-discrimination laws and if prospective tenants make a complaint to either state or federal commissions you will have to defend yourself in the tribunal and most likely be up for fines and costs.

But some people says no children or no pets and that appears to be ok......

Who says this giraffez, and how does it appear to be OK? Believe me I have studied discrimination law and it is against the law to say no children under 10or any age. I can't believe any PM would even consider putting such a clause in a lease because they will cop it as well.

You can get around it by asking the PM about each application and culling the ones that have children under 10, or pets or whatever attributes you don't want in your house, but you certainly can't specify it in writing in leases or advertisements unless you want a whole world of hassles on your plate.

You can get around it by asking the PM about each application and culling the ones that have children under 10, or pets or whatever attributes you don't want in your house, but you certainly can't specify it in writing in leases or advertisements unless you want a whole world of hassles on your plate.

Thanks. Point taken. Previously with my old agent (not going to name any names), i was asked whether I wanted to exclude pets or families with children so I took it as the norm for all agents.

Celica,

I believe that you cannot say no children under 10 or at all as that is seen as discrimination.

how can you say no children? What if the woman gets pregnant? Do you kick her out?

As for pets, smaller pets are ok, but at my last IP they had a large dog, and it dug up the whole back yard.

how can you say no children? What if the woman gets pregnant? Do you kick her out?

As for pets, smaller pets are ok, but at my last IP they had a large dog, and it dug up the whole back yard.

You just wouldn't renew their lease.

We had a tenant in a unit for 2 months.(we suggested she leave).In that time her kid/s took crayon and markers to all the walls, the fridge and even marks in the bathtub.Their large dog didn't do a bit of damage.
I wish the dog had their own income...I'd just rent to him.

If we allowed her to stay until her 12 month lease expired, I can't imagine what it would have looked like. Her previous landlord couldn't have given her a better reference either.

We allow pets in all our IP's because so many others don't. We charge an extra $75 per month at some and $100 at others.

Thats what I'm saying you cannot refuse a tenant because they have children.

Their large dog didn't do a bit of damage.
I wish the dog had its own income...I'd just rent to him.

...hahahaha.....that's a good one. You probably wouldn't get much arguing during leash negotiations either. Throw him a bone or two and he'd be happy.

Back