Facts on tenants with pets

We had no idea where this dog came from. Our property is completely furnished.
She is leaving at end of the month, and we can show her property to tenants anyways, without any notice from 9 am-9pm.
If we wanted to we could have insisted she remove the dog. She never bothered to call and ask, she told us about it after the fact.Instead we are only going to charge her the $100 like we do with all of our other dog and cat owners in that building.

Wow. Sounds like you still entered the premises for no authorised reason though. You were authorised to show propstective new tenants through, but you used this permission to snoop ! Anyayway, your beeswax, but I can't see it any other way

Last edited:
We have "pet on application" policy for all of our properties and only have a "professional carpet clean and flee treatment on exit" clause in our leases. We've only been landlords for a few years but we've not had any bad experiences at all. If tenants can look after a dog they can look after a flat / house so happy with pet owners, definitely. Great set of clauses Bazza but way over the top for my taste...

kaf

Wow. Sounds like you still entered the premises for no authorised reason though. You were authorised to show propstective new tenants through, but you used this permission to snoop ! Anyayway, your beeswax, but I can't see it any other way

Technically, I guess you're right.
There is also a provision in the Tenancies Act (in Canada) about a landlord being able to protect his property.
Either way, don't really care.

Xenia,
How is this the case? Both private landlords and PM's are governed by the same Act of legislation aren't they?
As far as I know, private landlord's do not need to use the OCBA lease, they can write whatever they want as long as it complies with the legislation.
Whats to stop me as a private landlord putting in the same (or similar ;)) conditions as the current REI lease?

Nothing is to stop you from copying an REI lease and using it as a private landlord.

The system is however political, the REI protect agents not private landlords. The tenancies tribunal is anti-private landlord also as there are more unethical private landlords (in SA at least) than agents. Most fines and breaches of lease are incurred by private landlords who "were not aware of the rules"

The REI and specifically the property management comittee come up with new clauses and agents then use them in contracts. Representing these clauses at a tribunal hearing may require you to know the history of how they came about and the backing of the REI.

Trade secrets! Why mention the 'pet clause' if you are not prepared to share it. That's why I like this forum: I share what information I have and others do the same. And, we all benefit.
Bazza

If I didn't "mention" a pet clause it would not have prompted you to add yours in! :D

The system is however political,
Oh, I see. Should the Tribunal not take every case and landlord on its merits? :eek:

the REI protect agents not private landlords.
I Understand that, as that is the purpose of being a member of the REI

The tenancies tribunal is anti-private landlord also as there are more unethical private landlords (in SA at least) than agents
Again, as an independant government agency, I would expect the tribunal to treat each case on its merits and not have a pre-determined view that just because there are some private landlords who are unethical, that somehow they all do not know the rules.

The REI and specifically the property management comittee come up with new clauses and agents then use them in contracts. Representing these clauses at a tribunal hearing may require you to know the history of how they came about and the backing of the REI.
These clauses still need to comply with the act though don't they?

Thanks for your response Xenia, it is good to hear the responses from the point of view of a PM (or PM business owner:)).

Yes, you can write in a rental increase after 6 months on a 12 month lease but you must specify the amount it is to increase.

You can't just say we'll have a 'rent review' after 6 months into a 12 month contract. The tenant would be committing to an unknown figure.

Can u write in the lease that the rent will increase by $10/wk in the event that the tenant keeps a pet on the property (all pets subject to approval by landlord) ?

We recently rented an IP in Qld - 10 month lease - rental increase after 5 months (lease signed after previous tenant broke lease) but increase limited to 10%.

We allow pets on application.

All tenants have pets.

If you find a tenant without a pet, rest assured they will promptly acquire one.

Mind you, the floors are mostly tiled, and the bedroom carpets are due for replacement.
Marg

I have been told by my PM that once your tenant signs a 12 month lease you can not put the rent up during that lease. So maybe if you want to up the rent after 6 months, only do 6 month leases...
Dont 'believe' the pm,
as in belief without proof
the lack of knowlege of pms is amazing
in many cases include the clause for a review at 6 in the lease
& you can do most anything

<snip>

G. INDEMNIFICATION: Tenant will protect, defend, indemnify, and hold Landlord, Landlord’s property manager, and Landlord’s agents harmless from any damages, costs, attorney’s fees, and expenses that are caused by the act of any pet or Tenant.

</snip>

Bazz, thanks for your clause.

I wonder if clause G could be used to protect against any pet noise/nuisance issues with neighbours - or do you think a more specific clause would be needed for this?

What is the landlord's responsibility/liability in terms of a tennant's pet's noise anyway?

-BB

Bazz, thanks for your clause.

I wonder if clause G could be used to protect against any pet noise/nuisance issues with neighbours - or do you think a more specific clause would be needed for this?

What is the landlord's responsibility/liability in terms of a tennant's pet's noise anyway?

-BB

I have had a neighbour complain about the noise one of our tenants dog makes when they are out - but what can I do? We referred the complaint to the tenant - it's between them I guess.

The tenant pays rent the neighbour doesn't ;)

Cheers,

Bazza

Can u write in the lease that the rent will increase by $10/wk in the event that the tenant keeps a pet on the property (all pets subject to approval by landlord) ?

I don't know if it's allowed or not. I would check the Tenants Union of Victoria site and also ask your PM, and your PM's senior.

All tenants have pets.

If you find a tenant without a pet, rest assured they will promptly acquire one.

Marg

I rented for over 10 years and never had a pet / don;t have one now that I am in my own place either. Out of 48 in the complex I live in, over 50% are tenanted - but much less than 10 cats/dogs in the property (of course, I dont know how many have goldfish though....)

Last edited:
Will I get evicited

Hi there!

About 6 wks ago my Nan passed away and I inherited her little pug dog. At the moment I am living in a 2br unit with a small yard. He is a perfect little dog and I had to take him or give him away - last thing of my Nan's so I wont give him up for the world.

Unfortuantly my lease states that there is no pets. My landlord however came to my unit (without permission) and discovered him (not sure how, he was inside) and notified the real estate agency who called me today. I told her the truth and she said that because its a strata property I cannot have pets. She was sympathetic and is going to find out for sure - but she thinks that I wont be able to have him here.

What does this mean for me. Will I get evicted? How long do they have to give me for breaching the contract (oh I hope at least 21 days) Because they are evicting me do I have to cover for rental costs? What about if they tell me to rectify the problem but I want to apply to the body corp to stay here with my dog? Im really stressing here - especially because I have looked around for places to rent and there isnt much around that except pets. Does anyone have any ideas where to go?

Thanks for your help!

It is not ok for the landlord to let themselves into your property without your knowledge! Wait until Body Corporate gets back to you via PM before you panic.

Had two applications for my IP today. Didn't really want pets, as its an executive type home with nice polished timber floors.
1. Older couple with 2 schnauzers. Great references. Highly recommended by PM.
2. 4 young ladies to share. No pets.

Decided to take PM's advice, and go with 1. She assured me that those pets shouldn't be a problem. May have bigger problems with parties etc... I guess I realy on the PM on this ...

Back