Facts on tenants with pets

I have been told by my PM that once your tenant signs a 12 month lease you can not put the rent up during that lease. So maybe if you want to up the rent after 6 months, only do 6 month leases...

As for pets... In Victoria it appears that the landlord has absolutely no rights even with a NO PET clause in the lease.... They can do what they(The Tenant) like as long as there is no damage...
Why they even have that clause in the lease is a joke to me!
Pets in Victoria are hard I agree! I have my tenants sign a pet clause to be added to the lease (even if they get permission for a pet half way though), I breach them if they have gone to get a pet without permission (3 breaches we go to VCAT) but the best tactic is a scare tactic! Victorian legislation doesn't really touch on pets and it is something that has been discussed at many a REIV training. They have claimed to be looking in to it but fingers crossed!

No matter what state find a way to put a pet clause in though, I have in the clause that they will have the carpets cleaned and deodorised, flea treatments carried out both inside and out when they leave and I also put in that if their beloved pet passes away, they must seek permission again before replacing it :), most tenants do the right thing. :)

It's a shame about young children getting a bad wrap - it's about how they are raised! My son is 4, he would NEVER draw on walls, sits down at his table (which is on a plastic mat to protect the 15 year old carpet from stains) when ever eating or drinking. If he has a spill (on the tiles or mat) he gets a cloth and wipes it up. He packs up his toys when he isn't using them and is a very well behaved child! so be careful when you are knocking back applications with kids, you could be missing out on a very good tenant!!

Back