Fairfield, NSW

I grew up in Fairfield and have family who live in the area.

The place has changed a lot over the years, there were quite a few European communities there back in the 80s, they slowly moved out to other areas (like Wetherill Park). After that there was a large influx of Vietnamese/Chinese in the 90s, then Assyrians/Lebanese and now I understand there is a growing Sudanese and Somali community.

My uncle runs a shop on Smart St and says the area is pretty dead, there is a fair bit of crime there too (recent stabbings in both Neta City and Fairfield Forum).

Personally, I'd never go back or invest there, but thats just me.

Last edited:
Hi JoeC

I am from Perth so it's great to get this kind of feedback from locals or people who have researched the area.

From what I can see the yields for 2 bedroom units are excellent.

Cheers, MTR

Fairfield is a massive area. Some parts are better than others. Or do you mean the city of Fairfield only.
You really need to do more research on the different areas.

I know when I started looking there I saw places that seemed really cheap then agents said but that's in Canley Vale (cheaper).
Some parts are also flood affected ( eg carramar).

I wouldn't discount the entire area but as I said you do need to do your homework.

I grew up a couple suburbs away and wouldn't touch it.

Its no different to many low income, high multicultural, western suburbs. A bit worse than most.

Why did they say its a good suburb to buy in Silver?

Why the need to be a w*nker?

He probably went onto Google and found this site. Then came on here to ask the appropriate people (investors) for their opinions.

I actually thought that was quite funny :D

As for what's happening in fairfield ........ bit cloudy outside atm, and yes, i also wouldn't invest here, despite the reportedly good yields.

I love that site.
It's a public forum. The OP asked for info...he received info. ;)

Why the need to have this forum then? We should all just be going to Google.

The OP asked for some help. Vague and general, but newcomers don't know the questions to ask. Obvious some of you have forgotten where you came from.

Quick, there's a n00b! Shoot him down and destroy him! Baroooogah! <thumps chest>

Hi awesome wells

Thanks, too kind.

I don't sweat the small stuff.

I am not a newbie, I am a full-time investor and I gave up my day job 4 years ago so I guess I must be doing something right even if the questions seem simple to some. Also, I am JILL not JACK... LOL

Getting back to Fairfield, one of my strategies has been to purchase in areas that are on the nose, houses on development sites. I use SS in the first instance as it can save me time and I can be lazy, nothing like local knowledge.

Thanks all for your help very much appreciated.

Cheers, MTR

Last edited:
I would ask Handyhandy based in Sydney....he has quite a few units in Cabramatta & Fairfield.

I disagree with a lot of commentators here who are saying that don't touch the area. These are exactly the sort of areas that you can make a killing if you target to the relevant demographic.

My feeling is a lot of people on this forum do get emotionally vested.

These are the facts I am hearing:

1. Cabramatta had a lot of drug and violence issues. This whilst there is not where near what it was in the 1990s. As a matter of fact a lot of second generation people of Southeast asian background like living there.

2. Areas like the Central Coast & Newcastle have higher Anglo-Saxon but the crime rates are increasing. That is because a lot of the people of this background and from the lower socio-economic scale are moving away from areas like Cabramatta, Bankstown, Liverpool, etc.

3. Areas change.....some for the worse and some for the better.

Hi
Great.

Westminster
Balga
Nollamara
Yokine
Tuart Hill

Last 2 areas do not typically fit this category.

Cheers, MTR

I would ask Handyhandy based in Sydney....he has quite a few units in Cabramatta & Fairfield.

I disagree with a lot of commentators here who are saying that don't touch the area. These are exactly the sort of areas that you can make a killing if you target to the relevant demographic.

1. Cabramatta had a lot of drug and violence issues. This whilst there is not where near what it was in the 1990s. As a matter of fact a lot of second generation people of Southeast asian background like living there.

2. Areas like the Central Coast & Newcastle have higher Anglo-Saxon but the crime rates are increasing. That is because a lot of the people of this background and from the lower socio-economic scale are moving away from areas like Cabramatta, Bankstown, Liverpool, etc.

Hi Sash
I agree it certainly helps to take the emotion out of it.

I had some negative feedback on Broadmeadows in Melbourne, but once I researched the area I was convinced I was on a winner so I purchased 4 properties over the last 4 months.

One of the properties I will be on-selling with plans and permits (8 units) next year, cost me $597,000 should sell for minimum $880,000-960,000. The other properties will be developed and turned into cash cows which is what I am chasing at the moment.

My point is I also buy/hold properties in blue chip areas but I am making more money with the properties that are considered "on the nose" that local investors don't touch.

Cheers, MTR

I agree but would go Campsie and Bankstown before Fairfield.

Hi
Great.

Westminster
Balga
Nollamara
Yokine
Tuart Hill

Last 2 areas do not typically fit this category.

Cheers, MTR
Do some diligence on these:

Campsie (very multicultural. You name it, they've got it)
Belmore (Lebanese)
Lakemba (Lebanese)
Wiley Park (Lebanese)
Punchbowl (Lebanese)
Bankstown (Lebanese)

Not desirable areas, but close to the city. I suspect you'll find some bargains here.

Birrong
Berala
Regents Park
Chester Hill
Villawood

Similar demographic, less desirable, not as nice, and further away from the city than the above lot. Yagoona is close by and it's pretty nice. lot's of new place going up. Villawood and Chezza Hill are just down righ shifty actually.

Guildford
Merrylands

Pretty even multicultural mix, just further out and cheaper. Been lots of development in Mez in the last few years. Maybe some gold in Guildford.

ps tuart hill and yokine = dulwich hill and marrickville and hurlstone park and croydon etc

Back