Falling leaves on footpath. Who's responsible?

I got a letter from my council a few days ago asking me to ensure the footpath in front of my investment property is kept clean from fallen twigs and leaves due to it being very slippery. Who's responsible to keep clean? Council or tenant? Surely can't be the owner, what do they expect, I swing passed every couple of days and give it a sweep? Is there a law which covers this issue?

Definitely the owners unfortunately. This is why I include a check for deciduous trees as part of my DD checklist.

I got a letter from my council a few days ago asking me to ensure the footpath in front of my investment property is kept clean from fallen twigs and leaves due to it being very slippery. Who's responsible to keep clean? Council or tenant? Surely can't be the owner, what do they expect, I swing passed every couple of days and give it a sweep? Is there a law which covers this issue?

They are preparing themselves in case any person slips and breaks a leg or their back. Now you can deflect the blame from them.:)

If it's not done and someone slips it will come back on owner so I would have to say owner. Is it worth paying a cheap gardener to attend and blow all the leaves once a week during autumn and fortnightly for the rest of the year?

If it's not done and someone slips it will come back on owner so I would have to say owner.

And that's why I have insurance.

I drove passed this morning and there's a little patch of leaves that overhang onto the footpath by about 6 inches. It's ridiculous actually. I'm pretty sure it would have to be the tenant's responsibility though, as they are also responsible to mow the nature strip, so why wouldn't they be responsible for the footpath?

Kindly respond to the council stating that it isn't your tree and that they should seriously look at replacing it with a species which doesn't lose leaves eg 'concreteous permanentum' or a 'treated pine'. ;)

A council tree! (that didn't come up until after I had hit reply). If that is the case, contact council and advise them you want a tree moved because it is unsafe, it is their tree and you're concerned that someone will slip and injure themselves because their tree drops a lot of leaves etc. on their footpath ;). This has actually worked for me before (not dropping leaves, growing at an odd angle) council complained about the tree and I lodged a request for them to remove the unsafe tree. They did and then sent me a letter to let me know it couldn't be replaced

Governments make the laws, and they can make laws in their favour. In most jurisdictions, it is the law that you don't own the nature/Council strip, but have an obligation to maintain it.

Yes, it sucks.

raked-autumn-leaves-seasonal-ecards-someecards.png

Councils Tree, Councils Mess :D

I'd send them a letter to remove their tree!

Failing that, chop it down yourself and plant a new one (is that allowed?) if you're supposed to maintain the nature strip, I cant see why it wouldn't be if it's a safety issue and they wont do it.

And that's why I have insurance.

I drove passed this morning and there's a little patch of leaves that overhang onto the footpath by about 6 inches. It's ridiculous actually. I'm pretty sure it would have to be the tenant's responsibility though, as they are also responsible to mow the nature strip, so why wouldn't they be responsible for the footpath?

Might need to speak to my insurance company to see if I am covered for Council's property.

I'd send them a letter to remove their tree!

Failing that, chop it down yourself and plant a new one (is that allowed?) if you're supposed to maintain the nature strip, I cant see why it wouldn't be if it's a safety issue and they wont do it.

Oh no! You need council approval to chop down trees, even on private property.
The exception being within 300m of your house in bushfire areas
Something like that

No need; any accident on Council's property is Council's problem, not yours. So you're not covered, because you don't need cover.

Even though if I was asked to sweep the leaves? What happens if somebody slips on wet leaves and breaks a leg? Still council's problem or mine?

Back