Family friendly suburbs in Brisbane (<10km to the city)?

I am looking to purchase a 3 or 4 bedroom house within 10km radius of the city. Would prefer an area with good public transport and freeway access. I have a 5-month old son so good schools and neighbourhood are essential. Good capital gain in the next five years would be a bonus.

Ideally we would like buy something <600k as we are trying to save up for an investment property but can stretch the budget to 700k.

We were told to look into Carindale (shopping centre, good schools, strong potential for capital gain). We have went thru quite a few open house inspections and are pretty happy with the area. However the price in Carindale seems a bit too high and it's much more expensive than its surrounding suburbs like Carina. A lot of the houses are >1M and most of the cheaper ones (600k - 700k) are very close to the high pressure power line and right next to the freeway.

Any good suggestions? Thanks in advance for all your reply.

Take a look at Coorparoo, Holland Park, Greenslopes, Camp Hill. Not sure you will get all you want and different type of house to Carindale...

Have a look at Sherwood/Corinda/Oxley.

Excellent transport and good schools nearby. Not far from Indooroopilly. Most services within walking distance.

Houses on the high side are above your budget but the east side (around Oxley Rd) is more affordable. Just be wary of the flood areas.

We bought our first home in Graceville in 2008. I cannot speak highly enough of the whole area. Yup, flooding has been an issue on the lowside (our home was smashed in 2011) but there are plenty of options around.

This area is absolutely fantastic for families. Massive amounts of parkland, lots of school options, lots of new amenities, restaurants etc, plus 20m train to city, newly renovated Indro shopping town round the corner.

Top place. Got my vote!

Have a look at Sherwood/Corinda/Oxley.

Excellent transport and good schools nearby. Not far from Indooroopilly. Most services within walking distance.

Houses on the high side are above your budget but the east side (around Oxley Rd) is more affordable. Just be wary of the flood areas.

That price range you may well buy into the inner Southside within the 5-8 klm from the CBD,,Yeronga-Annerley-and a sleeper like Tarragindi,all those areas have good private and public schools-excellent childcare-fast track transport buses -trains,many different types of shopping..imho..good luck..

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-tarragindi-118322447

Thanks willair!

We really like Tarragindi, good transport and good price. What do you think the capital gain potential in this area?

Thanks willair!

We really like Tarragindi, good transport and good price. What do you think the capital gain potential in this area?

This is just a rough back of the envelope calculation,and as we have held a rental property within walking distance of that property on above 800sqm's
for over 23 years,we paid 78k ,it's never been vacant the BCC-UCV is in the high 400'sK,real estate property developers contact me 4-6 times each year wanting to buy the property with offers above 800k,,it's on 2 titles but the war service home sits in the middle of the block ,this is another listing in that street that's just been sold, above 900k,,5-10 years time who knows,i don't but going by what's happened over the past 23 years I think there is still "CG" in that sleeper area,and once people buy into that area that stay,this is another listing maybe ten houses up from the link I posted just to give you a idea on value..good luck..

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-tarragindi-117325239

Last edited:
This is just a rough back of the envelope calculation,and as we have held a rental property within walking distance of that property on above 800sqm's
for over 23 years,we paid 78k ,it's never been vacant the BCC-UCV is in the high 400'sK,real estate property developers contact me 4-6 times each year wanting to buy the property with offers above 800k,,it's on 2 titles but the war service home sits in the middle of the block ,this is another listing in that street that's just been sold, above 900k,,5-10 years time who knows,i don't but going by what's happened over the past 23 years I think there is still "CG" in that sleeper area,and once people buy into that area that stay,this is another listing maybe ten houses up from the link I posted just to give you a idea on value..good luck..

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-tarragindi-117325239

Thanks willair, we contacted the agent of the property you suggested but it is actually under contract. Wll keep a close eye in this area.

Have you had any experience in holland park west? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Thanks willair, we contacted the agent of the property you suggested but it is actually under contract. Wll keep a close eye in this area.

Have you had any experience in holland park west? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sorry about that listing in prior-st,i went past last Friday afternoon and the real estate sign was still up without a sold sign on the sign,just another trick real estate agents use to gain more phone numbers:rolleyes:, i don't know much about Holland-Park ,,nor anyone that has invested long term in that small area but a lot has been rezoned once you get close to the freeway and the traffic all day long the value seems to drop..imho..good luck..

Sorry about that listing in prior-st,i went past last Friday afternoon and the real estate sign was still up without a sold sign on the sign,just another trick real estate agents use to gain more phone numbers:rolleyes:, i don't know much about Holland-Park ,,nor anyone that has invested long term in that small area but a lot has been rezoned once you get close to the freeway and the traffic all day long the value seems to drop..imho..good luck..

Thanks willair! Yep I think it's a trick the agents use to gain more calls. Called 5+ agents today and all properties are under contract :(

Cheers

My sis lives at Holland Park West near main bus station, I think it's good value. I think they are closing the nearby school and extending the uni and providing uni housing so talk to local agents to find out more if it's going ahead. I like Tarragindi but it's more expensive. Wellers Hill and Nathan could be worth a look also. I'm not sure about the schools though.

Do you like the timber house that Willair linked to? Or do you want a Carindale brick/stucco house?

Older houses vs newer houses?

If you have a strong preference for one style over another, that will help you narrow down the area you should be looking in.

Do you like the timber house that Willair linked to? Or do you want a Carindale brick/stucco house?

Older houses vs newer houses?

If you have a strong preference for one style over another, that will help you narrow down the area you should be looking in.

Hi Wylie

We are happy with either option. When we first started looking we only looked at the brick/stucco houses (newer houses). However they tend to be more expensive. I think the older houses tend to have better locations and therefore are of better value and better CG in the long run? (Please correct me if I am wrong).

What do you think about the CG in carindale? Was told by two of my friends to buy there as they reckon the price will go up really quickly. Personally I think the price at Carindale is already quite high and the public transport is not that convenient (it would certainly get better when the eastern busway is underway but who knows how long is it going to take).

My hubby has just came up with this idea - buy an old house with renovation potential, spend a few months doing the renovation and get the bank to re-valuate the property and hopefully get some equity out and we can then use it towards an investment property. Does this sound feasible?

Thanks for your help!

Keep in mind old houses require a lot more maintenance (money) than new - and you won't always know what costs you're up for until you start doing the work. And these costs more often than not don't add value. Factor this in and the cost difference between old & new is narrowed.

Adding a few new light fittings can turn into a $5k job if you discover the place needs rewiring...

I'm not saying don't do it, just keep a healthy contingency aside to cover any issues that arise from 50+ years of potential neglect/decay/bodged repairs

From my understanding, the older character homes will grow at a higher rate than newer Carindale McMansions. You can replicate thousands of Carindale homes all over the third ring suburbs and further out. Pre and post war homes are getting rarer and rarer because so many were demolished prior to heritage listings saving them.

From my understanding, the older character homes will grow at a higher rate than newer Carindale McMansions. You can replicate thousands of Carindale homes all over the third ring suburbs and further out. Pre and post war homes are getting rarer and rarer because so many were demolished prior to heritage listings saving them.

Thanks Angel! Agree with you that carindale can be easily replicated over the 3rd ring suburbs.

Just a question what happen when these old houses become unlivable one day? Knock it off?but it is covered by the heritage code.

Cheers

I am looking to purchase a 3 or 4 bedroom house within 10km radius of the city. Would prefer an area with good public transport and freeway access. I have a 5-month old son so good schools and neighbourhood are essential. Good capital gain in the next five years would be a bonus.

Ideally we would like buy something <600k as we are trying to save up for an investment property but can stretch the budget to 700k.

We were told to look into Carindale (shopping centre, good schools, strong potential for capital gain). We have went thru quite a few open house inspections and are pretty happy with the area. However the price in Carindale seems a bit too high and it's much more expensive than its surrounding suburbs like Carina. A lot of the houses are >1M and most of the cheaper ones (600k - 700k) are very close to the high pressure power line and right next to the freeway.

Any good suggestions? Thanks in advance for all your reply.

If you are happy with Carindale but cant afford the houses there, seek the neighbouring areas to Carindale that are cheaper- e.g. mount Gravatt east, carina heights, etc. I think you will find that these suburbs have similar characteristics to Carindale in that they are family friendly etc but are cheaper and may well fall within your budget.

Back