Family friendly suburbs in Brisbane (<10km to the city)?

We moved from Sydney and bought on the southside, my advice would be look at the north side, better facilities for young Kids and families.

We find ourselves always driving over the gateway for northside.

We moved from Sydney and bought on the southside, my advice would be look at the north side, better facilities for young Kids and families.

We find ourselves always driving over the gateway for northside.

Thanks ricflair, I have been living in the south side since my family moved to brisbane 11 years ago. A lot of people I meet also reckon northside is better. Do you know any good spots in the north side?

Thanks ricflair, I have been living in the south side since my family moved to brisbane 11 years ago. A lot of people I meet also reckon northside is better. Do you know any good spots in the north side?

Lots of great spots in the northside, but I am biased!

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-nundah-118275247

I know clayfield, ascot, hendra but not so much on albion, Nundah Stafford etc which are all suburbs close to those and in your price range.

The above link is on an 810 block zoned BR3 (LMR) I do not think it is in a Demolition control area but you would need to check this.(toen planning or look at PDonline and then check again!) Future potential for subdivision, move house onto a 405m if cannot demolish, when/if you ever want to downsize, or use entire block and extend when needed or demolish and build units if you can when/if you move on. Lots of options but near transport, toombul mall, 15mins to city and needs modernisation but could be done within budget. Check into everything and do not rely on the possibilities I have listed!

I know clayfield, ascot, hendra but not so much on albion, Nundah Stafford etc which are all suburbs close to those and in your price range.

The above link is on an 810 block zoned BR3 (LMR) I do not think it is in a Demolition control area but you would need to check this.(toen planning or look at PDonline and then check again!) Future potential for subdivision, move house onto a 405m if cannot demolish, when/if you ever want to downsize, or use entire block and extend when needed or demolish and build units if you can when/if you move on. Lots of options but near transport, toombul mall, 15mins to city and needs modernisation but could be done within budget. Check into everything and do not rely on the possibilities I have listed!

Thanks Mitch for ur suggestion. Not sure how much it will cost to shift and restump the existing house? 100k?

Thanks Angel! Agree with you that carindale can be easily replicated over the 3rd ring suburbs.

Just a question what happen when these old houses become unlivable one day? Knock it off?but it is covered by the heritage code.

Cheers

How old would a house have to be to be "unlivable"? Most houses in Brisbane are in pretty good condition due to insurance repairs after the major storms we get every twenty years or so. The Reno Kings are based here and they have already reno'ed just about everything available. During Joh's time as premier, most heritage stock WAS demolished and turned into apartments. There is very little 19th Century housing left in Brisbane, unlike Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

If you drive around Ashgrove, you will see that every character home has been brought up to date and extensively remodelled. It is a beautiful inner north side suburb. I grew up there in a 1920s house. By the time we bought our first home in 1980 a typical Ashgrovian was four times the asking price of the affordable FHB house we lived in.

Thanks Mitch for ur suggestion. Not sure how much it will cost to shift and restump the existing house? 100k?

Hi, am not sure what the costs are on re-stumping Wylie might be able to confirm that as she is moving houses on her block I think!.
I was only giving an example of a property that can be updated to live in now that also has development opportunities should you decide to do it up, get a re-val and then have the options of subdivision moving the house onto a 405m block leaving you with a block to sell or build on and sell.
Other options were wait a few years, demolish and Dev or sell with demo approval to developer etc blocks that have Dev potential are getting rarer close to the city so sell quickly.it is just another way of realising your IP/property investing goal and everyone has to choose the option that suits.
With this type of option it is always a good idea to talk to a town planner to make sure you have Dev opp. Before purchase so you are not just banking on the zoning. A lot of factors over ride zoning such as neighbourhood codes, easements and so on. Essential to know what you are getting into before purchase. But when it works it can be sweet :) p.s. as I mentioned, I do not know nundah well beyond the mall, transport and some nice places to eat in the village, there were a lot of unit builds there a few years ago and I haven't been there for a while so do your research!

Flood area. Not LMR

From my understanding, the older character homes will grow at a higher rate than newer Carindale McMansions. You can replicate thousands of Carindale homes all over the third ring suburbs and further out. Pre and post war homes are getting rarer and rarer because so many were demolished prior to heritage listings saving them.

I think the only scenario where older houses are more desirable is in an blue chip suburb full of character houses - Camp Hill, Bulimba, Ashgrove, etc. And even then, the only time an old home will outpace a modern one is if it's a beautifully renovated, modernised one (i.e. when it's had $300k spent on lifting/extending/renovating). Your average postwar house in Carindale - different story.

I love beautiful old homes, but they are labour of love rather than a solid financial decision (unless you find an original Qlder on Amy St in Hawthorne & have the budget to lift it). What is the return on $20k in painting every 5-10 years? ;)

I've just sold a 50 year old postwar house similar to what you'd find in the areas being spoken about, it's well maintained but needed $15k spent on it in routine maintenance which I would have never seen again. It's small, cold in winter, everything's out of square and hopelessly inefficient. Sure the hardwood floors are nice to look at, but it will be the oldest house I've ever owned for good reason.

Flood area. Not LMR

Yep, correct, checked flood maps and PDonline says CR2 so character res. infill (estate agent has it listed as LMR and I went on that) lucky the new city plan has the extra height requirements as that property will need it by the looks of it.

still dev. Potential as isnt CR2 300m2? Anyway, I did say on a number of occasions to look into it. Speak to planners etc. I did not as I am not interested in it but your comment got me curious as you dug deeper than I!

Unfortunately, what is happening in Brisbane with insurance companies is that if you buy in any post code that has flooding you seem to get hit wether you are in a flood affected street or not.
Even avoiding flood areas doesn't mean you get away with not paying the premium as we found out ourselves in Herston. Bought a house on a hill sloping to road, never flooded, never can flood, yet got hit with the premium, rang around 3 insurance companies, same answer!
Always pays to check before you purchase but from experience it also pays to ring an Insurance company before purchasing to see if you get hit with the premium either way...lessons learned and all that!

Just to give you a update this one I posted the other day sold for 650k,,
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-tarragindi-118322447

But it may pay to keep a eye on this Real-Estate-Company they have been around a long time father-son-sisters family well run business,this one for auction may suit your family..imho..

http://www.matthewsrealestate.com.au/page/for-sale

http://www.matthewsrealestate.com.au/page/for-sale

http://www.matthewsrealestate.com.au/results
Wow! That's cheap at the moment. I'd certainly be looking into Tarragindi. Top spot, we've got friends that live a couple of streets away backing onto forest.
You'd have to love possums if you lived there.
:)

Wow! That's cheap at the moment. I'd certainly be looking into Tarragindi. Top spot, we've got friends that live a couple of streets away backing onto forest.
You'd have to love possums if you lived there.
:)

From what I have been told over the years, several of the War-Service homes built after ww2 were taken by and some who built them themselves were from Chanqi-Prison that was run by the Japanese-Imperial-Army ,plus some of the older people we got to know before they passed away told me they had a hospital in there somewhere during ww2 for the poor servicemen ladies that suffered shell shock..

That area is seen as a future 'growth node' for Brisbane and Carindale is seen
as the satellite city for the area. The surrounding suburbs will all benefit from it.
Do some reasearch on the Brisbane City Council website and you'll see this. They have a vision of what Bris will look like in 2031.

There is also good rezoning potential too. This has just happened in parts of Cannon Hill and house owners have almost had their land values double in a short period of time.

May seem expensive however it's an area that will always be in high demand and capital growth should follow.

From what I've seen of the north side I wouldn't want to be living further north than nundah. Stafford are a bit to low socio economic calibre of people from where I would want to raise my kids. Hendra easy of nundah might suit your budget

Back