Fantastic article by Steve Keen

Beware a rate rise backfire:

The RBA meets eleven times a year to set the cash rate. At only four of those meetings – February, May, August and November – does it know the most recent CPI figures before the meeting. When the board meets today, it knows that consumer price inflation was 3.6 per cent for the year. Even the RBA’s preferred trimmed mean, which shows a lower annual rate of 2.7 per cent, has had two consecutive quarters of 0.9 per cent. Inflation is thus above the RBA’s target zone of 2-3 per cent on one measure, and heading that way on another.

On inflation alone, the RBA is therefore under strong pressure to raise rates. As a very conventional central bank, the RBA’s policy decisions before the Global Financial Crisis (as Australians call the Great Recession) generally followed what is known as the Taylor Rule. This rule argues that when the economy is at full employment and inflation exceeds 2 per cent, the central bank should respond to an increase in inflation by raising rates 1.5 times as much.

Figure 1: Consumer Price Inflation in Australia
click the image to enlarge
According to the Taylor Rule, the RBA should raise its rate to 5 per cent if it uses its trimmed mean as the measure of inflation, and to a whopping 6.4 per cent if it uses the standard CPI. It’s inflation High Noon, the Price Rise Gang is in town, and the sheriff has to kill them with his anti-inflation Colt 45. As the Gary Cooper of central banks, the RBA therefore simply has to raise rates today: to do otherwise would be cowardice.

That’s if you believe that the Taylor Rule actually describes reality – I categorically don’t. The only arguments in the Taylor Rule are the policy interest rate, the inflation rate (actual and target) and the growth rate (actual and target). Like all neoclassical models, it ignores the role of private debt in the economy. Now that private debt is falling from unprecedented levels in Australia, two factors that aren’t even considered by the RBA’s exclusively neoclassical economic models are really determining the economy’s direction: the level of debt that is constraining consumers, and deleveraging by both households and firms that is reducing aggregate demand. Pulling the interest rate trigger may blow the economy’s (and the sheriff’s) brains out.

Figure 2: The Taylor Rule in a Debt-constrained economy

The RBA thus faces a dilemma: if it sticks with its 'fight inflation first' motto, it could trigger a much sharper slowdown in the economy than its models predict.

This isn’t the first time the RBA has faced this dilemma. Back in the late 1980s, credit growth was astronomical and the economy was going gangbusters. After dropping rates in the aftermath of the stock market crash of 1987 – and introducing the First Home Owners Scheme which kick-started a property bubble – the policy makers (interest rate setting wasn’t the exclusive domain of the RBA back then) put up interest rates to constrain the boom.

Their timing was bad: the boom in credit ended at the start of 1989 when the cash rate was 15 per cent, but they kept increasing the rate to a high of 18 per cent by 1990. A year later, credit growth was negative on a monthly basis (though still positive year-on-year), and the RBA was in serious back-pedal mode, dropping interest rates as the economy fell away beneath it in 'the recession we had to have'. During the recession itself, annual credit growth actually turned negative, and not merely coincidentally, unemployment rose to a post-WWII peak of 11.2 per cent.

Figure 3: Debt to GDP and Credit Growth

A cursory look at figure 3 might make you think that the RBA has less of a problem this time. Credit growth is lower, and though it approached zero back in 2010, it had bounced from that level. In addition, interest rates now are substantially lower than they were in 1989.

But that is misleading, because though credit growth is lower, credit growth is much larger compared to GDP than it was then – because debt has grown so much more than GDP. Though the rate of growth of credit was much lower in the last decade than it was in the 1980s – a peak growth rate of under 18 per cent, versus an average of over 18 per cent for 1980-1990 – the contribution that credit growth makes to aggregate demand is much larger today, because private debt is so much higher. Credit growth averaged 9.5 per cent of GDP in the 1980s, versus 13.5 per cent from 1998 until 2008 (see figure 4).

Figure 4: Debt to GDP level and growth rate

This has two implications. The first, relatively obvious one, is that consumers are debt-constrained as never before, and are therefore not spending. Household debt was less than 25 per cent of GDP back when the cash rate was 15 per cent in the late 1980s (see figure 5). It is now almost 100 per cent of GDP – four times as high. Therefore, even ignoring the impact of repaying principal, an RBA rate of 4.75 per cent today equates to 19 per cent back then. Households are thus even more strained today than they were when the cash rate was 18 per cent in 1990 – and inflation today is a lot lower than it was in 1990, which makes the real debt service burden today even worse. So the level of household debt is a major factor in the subdued level of household consumption.

Figure 5: Debt by sector as a per centage of GDP

Glenn Stevens seemed to acknowledge this point in his speech The Cautious Consumer last week, when he said that:

“The period from the early 1990s to the mid 2000s was characterised by a drawn-out, but one-time, adjustment to a set of powerful forces. Households started the period with relatively little leverage, in large part a legacy of the effect of very high nominal interest rates in the long period of high inflation. But then, inflation and interest rates came down to generational lows. Financial liberalisation and innovation increased the availability of credit. And reasonably stable economic conditions – part of the so-called ‘great moderation’ internationally – made a certain higher degree of leverage seem safe. The result was a lengthy period of rising household leverage, rising housing prices, high levels of confidence, a strong sense of generally rising prosperity, declining saving from current income and strong growth in consumption.

"I was not one of those who felt that this was bound to end in tears. But it was bound to end. Even if one holds a benign view of higher levels of household debt, at a certain point, people will have increased their leverage to its new equilibrium level (or, if you are a pessimist, beyond that point). At that stage, debt growth will slow to be more in line with income, the rate of saving from current income will rise to be more like historical norms, and the financial source of upward pressure on housing values will abate…”

This is a welcome acknowledgement that changes in private debt have some macroeconomic impacts, as Rob Burgess pointed out recently in Business Spectator (Steve Keen’s RBA Convert, July 27). But it is not enough: Stevens is still thinking in neoclassical terms, where everything settles down to “equilibrium”, and he has not integrated credit into his thinking. Though he obliquely acknowledges that rising debt boosted aggregate demand, he doesn’t make the leap to see that aggregate demand is the sum of GDP plus the change in debt.

Stevens is hoping that once the “drawn-out, but one-time” change in household leverage settles down, tranquil growth in income and consumption will return:

“Can we look forward to a time when these adjustments to household saving and balance sheets have been completed? We can… the saving rate, debt burdens and wealth will at some stage reach levels at which people are more comfortable, and consumption (and probably debt) will grow in line with income… We could then reasonably expect to see consumption record more growth than it has in the past few years.”

But this can only happen if aggregate demand grows smoothly, which it can’t do unless debt not merely grows, but accelerates. This is so because, since aggregate demand is GDP plus the change in debt, the change in aggregate demand is the change in GDP plus the acceleration of debt. Accelerating debt is thus necessary for a constant rate of growth of aggregate demand, but if debt continually accelerates, it must ultimately grow faster than GDP.

This is what happened in the period from 1993 till 2008 – when the RBA, like central banks around the globe, ignored the role of private debt even as the biggest debt bubble in history developed, because their neoclassical models of the world ignored the role of credit. The acceleration in debt averaged over 2 per cent of GDP in Australia between 1993 and 2008, so much of the recorded 3.8 per cent growth in output over that period – and most of the growth in asset prices – was driven by accelerating debt.

Figure 6: Credit Growth and Acceleration in Australia

The GFC began when accelerating debt rapidly turned into decelerating debt. Australia attenuated the severity of the downturn partly by encouraging households back into debt with what I call the 'First Home Vendors Boost', so that even though the deceleration in debt was severe, it wasn’t nearly as severe as in the US. Our peak negative from the credit accelerator came in at minus 13 per cent, whereas the US’s maxed out at minus 27 per cent – which is why the downturn in the US was so much worse than it was in Australia. Secondly, again under the influence of the First Home Vendors Boost, our credit accelerator turned positive again before it did in America – so the US spent two years in a severe recession while Australia recorded only one quarter of negative growth.

Figure 7: Credit Accelerators for Australia and the USA
But herein lies the rub. Both countries now face the same problem that, with private debt levels at unprecedented highs, debt will normally tend to decelerate rather than accelerate, and this deceleration could go on for a very long time. America’s level has already fallen by 40 per cent of GDP since its peak in early 2009, and the current massive increase in the credit accelerator is due to a slowdown in the rate of growth of debt while debt is still falling.

Figure 8: Private debt levels for Australia and the USA

Having delayed its deleveraging via the First Home Vendors Boost, Australia is only just starting to delever – and its credit accelerator is now turning negative after an anaemic rise until the end of 2010. This is the major cause of the 'two-speed' economy – with the retail sector and non-mining states stuck in reverse – and it won’t end until private debt levels fall substantially from today’s levels.

For this reason, I don’t share Stevens’ optimism that this downturn in consumer spending will prove to be brief:

"We cannot really know, of course, when that might happen… the rise in the saving rate over the past five years… was… the biggest adjustment of its kind we have had in the history of quarterly national accounts data… That in turn means that the time when more ‘normal’ patterns of consumption growth recur is closer than it would have been with a more drawn-out adjustment… It is entirely possible that, were some of the current raft of uncertainties to lessen, the mood could lift noticeably, so I don't think we need to be totally gloomy."

However, I do agree with Stevens’ assessment that the 'new normal' won’t be as strong as the 'old normal':

"But what is ‘normal’? Will the ‘good old days’ for consumption growth of the 1995-2005 period be seen again?

"I don't think they can be, at least not if the growth depends on spending growth outpacing growth in income and leverage increasing over a lengthy period…"

To that reason, I add the probability that the credit accelerator will remain negative for most of the next decade, with the consequence that the economy will not benefit from the legitimate role that expanding credit plays in a growing economy – when that credit is used to finance investment rather than Ponzi schemes. Consequently both Australia and America are likely to return 'disappointing' growth figures: growth will tend to be below the 3 per cent level that is needed to reduce unemployment. This is already firmly the case in the US, where growth has fallen well below the 'Okun’s Law' level of 3 per cent and unemployment is once more on the rise.

Figure 9: Real growth rates in Australia and the USA

Thus the “Taylor Rule” advice that the RBA should raise rates is extremely bad advice – but there are reasonable odds that the RBA will follow it and raise rates today.

The impact of such an increase will be dramatic, and will amplify the case I have been making for a year now, that the RBA will be forced by economic circumstances to abandon its 'fight inflation first' obsession, and cut rates to stimulate a flagging economy.

Steve Keen is Associate Professor of Economics & Finance at the University of Western Sydney and author of Debunking Economics and the blog Debtwatch.

perhaps just as much logic and thought coming from the sheep who follow keen blindly and call his work fantastic... atleast doubt your demi god dont just follow him blindly.

What about this new article is fantastic?

There is far more thought and logic in his writings than there is in those of the two superior intellects who have just put him down.

There is far more thought and logic in his writings than there is in those of the two superior intellects who have just put him down.

Yes. Because we all know how wealthy economists are since they can predict everything with mathematical models.

From what i read, because we have hocked ourselves with high debt, it only takes a small increase in interest rates to have a very detrimental effect on the economy compared to say 15-20 yrs ago.

From what i read, because we have hocked ourselves with high debt, it only takes a small increase in interest rates to have a very detrimental effect on the economy compared to say 15-20 yrs ago.

Yes - but you also have to consider that people have higher incomes now than they did 15-20 years ago (and are saving more these days). If only I could control my investments like economists can control the 100s of assumptions in their pretty excel models.

Yes - but you also have to consider that people have higher incomes now than they did 15-20 years ago (and are saving more these days). If only I could control my investments like economists can control the 100s of assumptions in their pretty excel models.

My borrowings are now 5X income compared to 15 yrs ago it was 3X income.

Roughly speaking
15yrs ago - income $65k + rental income $5k on $180k borrowings.
Now income $120k + rental income $50k on $1.1m borrowings.

That's only a 4% rise in your wage every year for 15 years...I don't think that's how people's wages increases over their career

For all his intellectual might, an excutive summary like you give above is one thing Steve regularly misses out on in his musings. Still, he makes some good points, even if the realisation of one or two of his predictions would tip a few applecarts over here in the land of Somersoft.

perhaps just as much logic and thought coming from the sheep who follow keen blindly and call his work fantastic... atleast doubt your demi god dont just follow him blindly.

What about this new article is fantastic?

wow never been called a 'keen sheep' before.

This article has nothing directly to do with residential property, yet people read 'keen' and think its just a bag on property prices.

Anyway i posted this because i believe its a very incightful article.
Very much worth the time to read.

But you draw your own conclusions mate.

I said it once during the GFC and i will say it again now. Except during the GFC i was agressive, now i am acting defensive.
Over the long term wealth is transferred from the worthy to the unworthy.

I plan on being one of the worthy, you choose your own path.

Thats the beauty of the market place. It doesnt care who you are, your background, education, sex, wealth.
The market place overtime always transfers wealth to those who deserve it.

And from your commentary i think its time for you to pay a tuition fee.
The market is a fantastic teacher, but the cost of her tuition fee can run very high on occassions

That's only a 4% rise in your wage every year for 15 years...I don't think that's how people's wages increases over their career

i think it depends on stage of career, most people i have dealt with their wage will increase significantly between 26-35 and then increase in smaller increments after that.

Intrinsic, Sunfish insulted two other forum members and I gave some back in a way I thought was much more suttle than basically calling them idiots as he did. I never called you a sheep. I even asked why he thought it was fantastic given he simply came out in Keens defence..

Ps thanks for your own personal incoherent advice but you can honestly shove it where the sun dont shine particularly your last comment which pretty much wishes me ill financially..... is that something someone worthy would say you think? based on your own advice you will be broke as someone who is obviously unworthy. good luck with it all..

wow never been called a 'keen sheep' before.

This article has nothing directly to do with residential property, yet people read 'keen' and think its just a bag on property prices.

Anyway i posted this because i believe its a very incightful article.
Very much worth the time to read.

But you draw your own conclusions mate.

I said it once during the GFC and i will say it again now. Except during the GFC i was agressive, now i am acting defensive.
Over the long term wealth is transferred from the worthy to the unworthy.

I plan on being one of the worthy, you choose your own path.

Thats the beauty of the market place. It doesnt care who you are, your background, education, sex, wealth.
The market place overtime always transfers wealth to those who deserve it.

And from your commentary i think its time for you to pay a tuition fee.
The market is a fantastic teacher, but the cost of her tuition fee can run very high on occassions

Intrinsic, Sunfish insulted two other forum members and I gave some back in a way I thought was much more suttle than basically calling them idiots as he did. I never called you a sheep. I even asked why he thought it was fantastic given he simply came out in Keens defence..

Ps thanks for your own personal incoherent advice but you can honestly shove it where the sun dont shine particularly your last comment which pretty much wishes me ill financially..... is that something someone worthy would say you think? based on your own advice you will be broke as someone who is obviously unworthy. good luck with it all..

i was the poster of that article, my heading was labelled 'fantastic', because in my opinion it was a great article. Very worthy of further reflection given the times.

In regards to your second paragraph, its not me who is the 'higher authority' upon whose opinion, future wealth distribution shall fall.

Its the market, not just now but into the future.
Its also in the bible

Ecclesiastes 3:1
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven

And finally i am sorry to say, but i will not be the one who is broke. I act in accordance with the times, i listen to the mistress that is the market.

PS there is a big difference here between the 'mistress market' and Mr Market (Warren Buffett).

Mr Market will often get his intrinsic value pricing wrong, but there are times when it is intelligent to use debt to 'prove' Mr Market wrong, and there are times where if one has a truely long term view they can use pure equity finance (ie using cash in the bank with a very long term view and with no debt)

But now is not the season for debt leverage.

I must be a little different because the artical actually gave me some confidence.

I dont really care what happens with short to medium term house values.
Its the weekly cost to the hip pocket that can screw me( and others)

Its clear that relatively small interest movements can have the desired effect these days so 10+ % interest rates are unlikely while we owe as much as we do.
And any significant weakening in the economy or property market from here will likely lead to a rate drop so thats a cashflow improvement.

I dont have rose coloured glasses on or anything. Just looking at my own situation and working on that.

Tocaro: I don't sheepishly follow Keen nor any other of the dozens of commentators I read regularly. You may have noticed I'm a gold bug. :D I have little interest in what he says but what I do read seems carefully thought out which is more than could be said about the one line put downs I referred to.

It's easy to attack people (Keen) on a forum, easier than countering their arguments.

Last edited:
Its the market, not just now but into the future.
Its also in the bible

Ecclesiastes 3:1
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven

And finally i am sorry to say, but i will not be the one who is broke. I act in accordance with the times, i listen to the mistress that

But now is not the season for debt leverage.
I've heard it all now, first keen and then quoting the book of lies.

Sunfish. Exactly, thats why I asked why you found it to be a good article given you came defending the man rather than his work while doing no better yourself by belittling those who attacked him.

Thats all.. my post was nothing more than that.

Tocaro: I don't sheepishly follow Keen nor any other of the dozens of commentators I read regularly. You may have noticed I'm a gold bug. :D I have little interest in what he says but what I do read seems carefully thought out which is more than could be said about the one line put downs I referred to.

It's easy to attack people (Keen) on a forum, easier than countering their arguments.

Back