FAQ: Books & Authors

2 questions

so do you tend to buy the books or borrow from libraries

and also someone recommended a book by rory o rourke but it doesnt seem to be about real estate invetment it seems to be about him being a successful real estate salesman. is tht so?

cutegal

If you are referring to O'Rourke's book, "Born Free, Taxed to Death", it is about property investing - he also refers to his success as a RE salesman, but I found that part wasn't too OTT.

Cheers
LynnH

no his other book something about seeling 2 houses in a day or i could have the title totally wrong but it is something like that

cutegal

That's interesting Spiderman about M Lomas's new book . Might have to check that out ...

Some of the made simple series that R Balanda has in the back of the API look interesting . The cost if you went and bought them all would almost be a healthy deposit on another deal but :rolleyes:

I got Trust magic out of the library a few years ago and I thought it was very good . Any recommendations ?

Shawn

Just finished Think BIG and Kick A$$ in Business and Life by Donald Trump and Bill Zanker.

A brilliant book! Liked it so much I'll be working my way through the other books by Donald Trump. Before reading this I thought he was just a lot of talk and quite full of himself, but after reading this I have a lot of respect for him, his attitude to life, and what he's achieved.

A brilliant book that covers investor mindset and psychology as well as realestate and investing in general. I would highly recommend it.

Though I've mentioned it before, I'd like to add Noel Whittaker and Julia Hartmans book: Saving Tax on your Investment Property.
I've been making my way through it and the worksheet in chapter 15 is a fantastic help when trying to figure out the real cashflow for a property.
I purchased it through her website www.bantacs.com

Where to start?

There are so many books out there that it can be confusing to know where to start at times. Knowing which strategy you are favouring is a great start. Remember that new authors and books come onto the market all the time so continually research what could be suitable to you and don't be affraid to ask questions, Somersoft is a fantastic resource for this, so use it. Don't be shy!:cool:

Noticed this orginal thread is now about 5 years old...

Can anyone post any recommendations of recent books focused on chosing property, what areas have best capital growth, what factors of a property lead to growth, size of block, land to building ratio, etc.

I guess for relevance the more recent the better...

Noticed this orginal thread is now about 5 years old...

Can anyone post any recommendations of recent books focused on chosing property, what areas have best capital growth, what factors of a property lead to growth, size of block, land to building ratio, etc.

I guess for relevance the more recent the better...

* Bump * !

Any more up-to-date publications to keep an eye out for ?

Many thanks.

Following on from my last post in this thread, the rest of Trump's earlier books are quite good as well. In particular his first: The Art of the Deal. However be weary of his more recent releases in the last few years - he's phoning it in more and it's more like summaries of old books and chapters that go for a whole 2-3 pages. More like extended thoughts than books.

Other titles which I've enjoyed though not directly related to property in case others are interested:

'Secret Recipe' - KFC's beginnings.

'KFC In China: Recipe for Success' Good illustration (though somewhat shallow in parts) of the phenomenal success behind KFC and why it's vastly exceeded McD's in China.

'Grinding It Out' - written by Ray Kroc, very interesting read.

I also listed a few others I've read over the years and found useful here: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47367

Can anyone recommend 3 must have books for somone entering the IP market?

I plan to concentrate on the lower end of the market and do some renovations as I am a tradie.

Can anyone recommend 3 must have books for somone entering the IP market?

I plan to concentrate on the lower end of the market and do some renovations as I am a tradie.

1. How to buld a multi-million dollar property portfolio - Michael Yardney
This book will show you precisely how the vast majority of property investors invest. Specifically how to use debt, structure loans etc. Yardney favours buying second hand property that you can add value to - but that's neither here nor there with this book, it's all about the structure of investing rather where and what to buy that makes this book so good. There's plenty of other books saying the same thing, it's just this one IMO is the best.

2. Go find some reno books. Doige and Eslick are pretty good - they are profesional renovators so any literature from these guys will show you the tips on maximising profit through reno.

3. You will need to buy local if you are doing reno work. Maybe Margaret Lomas's 20 questions is worth a read. No point doing a reno if the market conditions aren't right.

Can anyone recommend a couple of good books available on iPad format?

Paper books don't really work for me, I travel a lot and like to minimize my baggage.

Can anyone recommend a couple of good books available on iPad format?

Paper books don't really work for me, I travel a lot and like to minimize my baggage.

You should be able to get most books electronically these days. I agree with the ease of reading books electronically it has me hooked. After collecting over 100 books on property investing on the shelf I have now gone electronic.

The best thing is being able to read in bed with the lights off so the significant other is not disturbed:D

I have been reading some of the US and UK property experts recently to understand their response to the changing market over there. You never know when it might come in handy.

You might find Monique Wakelin's Streets Ahead, Melissa Opie's Find the Right Property at the Right Price and I always find Bob Jones from NZ an interesting and fun easy read, Stuart Wemyss The Property Puzzle and subsequent book is also a good read.

Happy reading

Jane Slack-Smith

The best thing is being able to read in bed with the lights off so the significant other is not disturbed:D
lol - I still don't hear the end of it. I have to set up a little head tent with the dooner to stop the iPad light from glowing up the room.

Cheers

Jamie

2. Go find some reno books. Doige and Eslick are pretty good - they are profesional renovators so any literature from these guys will show you the tips on maximising profit through reno.

QUOTE]
Hey, thanks for the suggestions.

Where could I purchase these books from, I can't find them on book depository.

Back