FAQ: How do I buy in a different city?

How do you do that quick paint job between tenants?

Schedule a couple of days in between leases. You could also negotiate with your incoming tenant that if they wanted to paint it to make it more their own home, then (once agreed on colour) you authorise it. A lot of people take pride in wanting a nice home and they could even stay longer because it’s how they like it.

Hi Guys,

Just joined so here goes my first question to you guys who know alot :

I live in Melbourne, but think that Brisbane will be a better bet over the next say 20 years.

Without flying up there 3-4 times to check out properties, attend auctions, what is the best way to do all your research when you can't be there in person yourself?

Can I really just go off web sites, then contact the agent and make a bid?

Interested in your thoughts
We believe Brisbane to be a market with a lot of opportunity. there are many very large infrastructure projects completed recently and more underway. the Brisbane market has been relativlely flat over the last few years and with simmilar population growt to the other eastern states we dont think it will stay like this forever. we have have made a strong commitment to develop more projects in Brisbane for this reason.

it is in my opinion important to form a selection criterea that meets your needs so you can invest in differing markets so you can spread your risk and and opportunity to ride the cycle. markets move at different times and are very rarely in sync. the criterea you formulate will not be same for everyone but there is obvious basis thing you may look for such as Employment, Population, Infrastucture, % of renters etc.

i have noticed a few posts with many people having all of their properties in one state such as Melbourne. i personally dont get this, as you would firstly end up paying a lot of land tax, and you would never buy another asset class such as shares in this way. not sure how many people drive past Telstra's head office every day because they have their shares, so why do we need to be close to our rental property?

in my opinion and from personal experience over the last 26 years, every capital city on the eastern seaboard is a great spot to invest. but of course do your homework.

Regards,
George Mariotti

Last edited:
I just read that Brisbanes prices are still below what they were 5 years ago...and aside from a short burst in Melbourne I would say pretty much on par with each other...it probably comes down to how well you buy in each case which is one of the most important principles you can follow...

Stuck on where to buy?

Hey Everyone,

I joined this forum this morning because I am a bit lost as to where to purchase my first IP.

I'm looking at houses positively geared under $250,000.
My partner and I live in Melbourne and are currently looking at either Adelaide or Sydney.

We were extremely keen on West Sydney untill researching further and realising most of the houses are alot more than we want to spend, all i could find was apartments in that price range.

We visited Elizabeth in Adelaide and were very happy with the prices, and are now just concerned on if we can rely on capital growth especially with all the jobs being lost and a high vacany rate on rentals.

if anyone can give me some advice on good areas at the moment with potential and under that price range that would be fantastic :)

Hi everyone
I have bought four properties all interstate, none in melb where l live. My advice is to ring as many property managers as you can in the area you are looking at after you have done extensive research on your own. You will get a feel for the good ones.Choose a manager to look at properties for you. They are keen to get business and many are willing to do this. Especially good is to find one not affiliated with an agency, therefore only do property management, as one of the former posters explained.
Setup property alerts from the various Realestate sites. File all these alerts and after 6 weeks or so start ringing the agents and find out what they sold for, or why they haven't sold. You need to track house sales in your chosen area.
Also ring council, local police ( say your looking for a rental, any areas to avoid, if female even better , you want to know the safe areas), look at local papers online, google earth etc. , There are so many online tools at your disposal. By the time you have looked into an area which can take a couple of months or longer you will know it better than the locals from an investors point of view.This is different than a locals view of the area. A local doesn't think or know about growth drivers, population growth, unemployment stats, growth of wages, demographic trends etc. . You on the other hand should know all this before you buy.

I'm looking at houses positively geared under $250,000.

and are now just concerned on if we can rely on capital growth

You've got Buckley's of finding a positively geared property that ALSO has a chance at high capital growth. You'll have to settle for one or the other.

If a property is in a growing area with good prospects of capital gains, then lots of investors would be buying there, making for a lot of competition for tenants, driving down rental prices and so properties will be negatively geared.

And vice versa.

You'll need to choose which one you want more.

You could check out Hervey Bay prices there still cheap and town in right on the beach, lots of development there and talk of enlarging airport. Do your research though, as rents are still quite low, and stay on water side of boat harbour drive.

This property is walk to the beach and views by the look of it asking $279,500.

http://www.nextplace.com.au/real-es...us:buy;location:PIALBA+4655+QLD;limitstart:20

Do you think there is a good demographic in Hervey Bay? In regards to working class people, jobs, population growth?

I've been looking around there and it seems a bit too far from all the major towns.

Hi All,

How does one go about purchasing interstate when they have a fear of flying?

A BA,investment company etc etc is out of the equation.

Cheers Spades.

Extensive research and advice:

State planning
Population projections
Infrastructure spending
Investment activity / developments
Transport
Council planning
RP Data
Pricefinder
Domain.com.au
RealEstate.com.au
Onthehouse.com.au
house.ksou.cn
SQM data
API magazine
SPI magazine
YIP magazine
Herron Todd White month in review
Demographic profiles
Suburb profiles
Maps - flood, zoning, overlays, school zones, amenities, transport, crime
MySchool website
Google Earth
Street view
Local Voices
Local managing agents
Somersoft
Floor plans
Rental history
Sales history
Cash flow analysis
Building inspections
Pest inspections

PLUS knowledge, time, mindset, determination, contacts...

Cheers

Jen

Just if you are still keen to invest in another city maybe other than Brisbane, there are some great opportunities in (current) outer suburbs of the Perth metro area. I got a bit of help from a broker when looking for my first Perth investment!

Last edited by a moderator:
How does one go about purchasing interstate when they have a fear of flying?
I have a fear of flying. To convince myself to fly interstate, from Perth, I just think about how long it takes to drive. I have driven it. Not good. That's enough to get me on the plane.

I have a fear of flying. To convince myself to fly interstate, from Perth, I just think about how long it takes to drive. I have driven it. Not good. That's enough to get me on the plane.

Pretty much what Jen and Rixter said. What happens if you up with dozens of properties? You aren't going to travel to all of them on an ongoing basis. Most people wouldn't. I bought sight unseen this month after due diligence from afar and will probably do so again this year.

One more.

Do your home work and trust no one - apart from your dog. :p

I completely agree with this.

I bought a property without seeing it first and will never do it again. No-one told me that there'd been a chain smoker living in it for the past decade and I certainly didn't pick it up from the pictures. I could've worked the price down further.

Some people are good at getting other people to do things for them but really, if you want something done properly, do it yourself.

Next time, I'll do all the internet research first, then take some time off work, book somewhere to stay and hire a car so that I can look properly - just like I would if it was my own city.

Some real estate agents are good to talk to but you never really know where or when - you have to be there. At the end of the day if you're like me, you need to trust your own guts.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Just joined so here goes my first question to you guys who know alot :

I live in Melbourne, but think that Brisbane will be a better bet over the next say 20 years.

Without flying up there 3-4 times to check out properties, attend auctions, what is the best way to do all your research when you can't be there in person yourself?

Can I really just go off web sites, then contact the agent and make a bid?

Interested in your thoughts
You contact a buyers agent who knows the area, the developers in the area and also the builders in the area. They need to have done research on the area to back up their theories.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got Buckley's of finding a positively geared property that ALSO has a chance at high capital growth. You'll have to settle for one or the other.

If a property is in a growing area with good prospects of capital gains, then lots of investors would be buying there, making for a lot of competition for tenants, driving down rental prices and so properties will be negatively geared.

And vice versa.

You'll need to choose which one you want more.

Have you tried looking in outer regional areas? There are some good prices at smaller fringe towns in the 200's

Hi MH7604261,the first question you need to ask why you want an investment property .Do you needs cash flow or capital growth , do you want to build a retirement portfolio to live on or you may have heard that Brisbane is the place to buy .At one stage I was in that same spot ,and I came across a wise man who told me 'son buy property using your brain not heart".I have followed him up till now and got 5 investments ,all cash flow positive .there is an art of buying property and living comfortably on the property income ,and if you buy in wrong place that property will become a head ache to you .I love investing in property because they make money for me from day one .buying property in Brisbane any body can come and buy BUT not every one can build a income producing Portfolio. Property is like a Foot ball game ,you need to have the best of the best Coach for the team to win .I have a good Coach and I follow him and he has not made me lose any game up till now .

Back