Fascinating rear block development in Darebin

I'm stunned that Darebin council have allowed this in Northcote! This was dropped in last week by crane into the rear block in a really nice street, full of classic californian bungalows. The pictures really don't give the full impression of just how big it is.

It looks like a prison to me! Worse still, the top of it is visible from my deck, thankfully to the south though.

The main part of the 'house' came in bottom and top sections and it rests on stilts.

The high windows are to prevent the occupants from vieing the neighbours' rear gardens, but I can only imagine what the immediate neighbours must think of this!

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 149
Particularly in councils like Darebin, who are into the whole higher density living thing. Won't see much of it in Camberwell.

I'm sooo into Prefab at the moment !!!!, you wouldnt believe the amazing designs that are available overseas. I'm bought just about every book I can lay my hands on about it and have built up quite a library. The cutting edge guys in Australia are 'Modscape' so google them if you want to see funky modular design.

Building stuff in a factory avoids weather problems and the quality control has an opportunity to be better than an onsite build.

Transport is always an issue since the componants are so big and must be limited to a certain width so the larger the build, the more trucks required.

I'm seriously looking into this for my 2nd development (my first one, in drawing stage at present will be a traditional style build)

Some of the pictures in their gallery (modscape.com.au) are very nice, but I'd imagine it more in a beach or bush environment.

I like the screw piles - assuming they're adjustable, so can be relevelled fairly easily?

But for a character area, no way!

There is a property in a nearby street where approval has been granted for an second house to be built in the backyard. Trouble is, there is less than 90cm on each side of the existing house, so I could not see how a second building could be put on the block.....until now!!
Marg

I'm stunned that Darebin council have allowed this in Northcote! This was dropped in last week by crane into the rear block in a really nice street, full of classic californian bungalows. The pictures really don't give the full impression of just how big it is.

That is spectacularly ugly.

Back