Favourite Coffee Shop or Cafe

Where is you favourite coffee shop or cafe?

Thought I would give my favourite Brisbane shop a mention, Site Cafe @ Banyo. Somewhat of a secret though popular with locals, not a franchise or in a large shopping centre.

Site Cafe Facebook Page

Owner operators who do a great job, friendly and innovative service. Interested in any other best keep secrets from Brisbane or elsewhere people have to share.

I really like the atmosphere at Three Monkeys in West End (Brisbane), although it gets more and more popular every day so there's usually a bit of a queue there. Not a secret at all anymore but still great.

McCafe - boiling hot coffee that miraculously doesn't cool down, filled to the brim and then the plastic lid gets so hot it melts slightly and pops off the top, leaving 3rd degree burns as the cup collapses, dribbling down your right hand and wrist and in your lap whilst driving. you then sideswipe a guardrail and damage the side of your car and claim insurance. insurance take your excess and then refuse to pay the claim through "negligent driving".

McCafe Coffee - $3.85
Insurance Excess - $650.00
Cost to fix the repairs myself after claim denied - $2370.00.
The look on the kids face that made my coffee when I ran him down after his shift in the parking lot - priceless*

*may or may not have happened.

McCafe - boiling hot coffee that miraculously doesn't cool down, filled to the brim and then the plastic lid gets so hot it melts slightly and pops off the top, leaving 3rd degree burns as the cup collapses

Drinking coffee not meant to be this complicated. :)
Go Gloria.........

Have to disagree with Gloria Jeans. They burn the shot out of it, the coffee tastes bitter and is served, like Maccas, way too hot.

I love Cibo here in Adelaide, even if it does take them 45 minutes to make a coffee. It's worth the wait.

How much do you value your time?

One would probably not do it if they didn;t have the time :rolleyes: and also as per previous post, it's probably nowhere near it

having siad that though, I can get impateinet if I have to wqait that long

McDonald's might be passable with their auto machines etc now, but how it can be anyone's favourite I find strange - I man if you dont like coffee much anyway, like someone who doesn;t like meat an dthinks big mac;s a re good quality beef sure... but seriously, we must have been dumbed down over the eyars or soemthig to beleive that what we get at average commerical palces is the proper thing.. WE have forogtten pretty much what proper apples & tomatos tastse like, so probaby not surprising taht a drink like cofee goes the same way... We get given sub standard qualty in so many ways that we've come to accept it as correct & laugh at others who don't

Some regional victoria hotspots:

-Swan Hill maccas does a nice coffee, but I go there for my kindle loading. Snacks and coffee otherwise in the coffee shop opposite (on the corner) the clocktower and ANZ bank. Name slips my mind, it's a sort of dancey name I think.

-Paraphernalia in Horsham, coffee and great food.

-Ouyen mallee-deli great coffee and snacks.

-Warracknabeal cafe peppercorn, good coffee/snacks, cheap, and also the pharmachino cafe just behind the pharmacy is excellent coffee. Nice food.

-Donald town johnno's diner is good, coffee and snacks, cheap, and the new eatery opened up on the corner opposite the mall square is 10 out of 10 for food (great, sexy chef) and coffee.

-Charlton has a fantastic cafe, the boyz cafe, 10/10 for coffee and food, my favorite place, but sadly the town got hit by floods and i don't know if they are up and running, or awaiting refurbishments...town got hit for a six poor buggars.

-Birchip bakery, excellent pies, australia's winning vanilla slice 2009? runner up ?2010, world's best chocolate eclairs, excellent food from sushi to salad rolls...good coffee too.

Thats all the time for moment...

Also The Coffee Club in Toowoomba - the one that got washed away. Great food and great service. Looking forward to their reopening.

I should start out by saying I'm pretty biased on this topic, i'm a self-taught barista and have spent years working the coffee machine...its not about the coffee so much as who's making it! Milk shouldn't be burnt, it should be in the 65-72 degree range.

That said, the coffee machine should be 'back-washed' hourly if you're in a busy place otherwise the coffee will turn out bitter!

As for favourtite coffee places, atm I like:
- Brother's Espresso (they use their own blend)
- Brew (they use a di bella blend)
- Campos (not their latest one on edward street though!)
- Blackstar coffee west end

Love the taste of these coffees, that said, have had bad coffees at all the above places...

Also love the coffee at 'Little Green' (mt gravatt) they use piazza d'oro milano blend - again disclaimer here, this is my sister's little cafe run by her and her fiance, she makes the best darn coffees i've ever had and despite my bias, I am quite picky!

Family's cafe in West End is hopefully re-opening next week (they're still rebuilding the power boards since the floods!) Out there we use a Piaza d'oro di manfredi blend - which is their exclusive blend and a delicious tasting coffee...when we're open again, I'll see if i can sort some free coffees for SSers ;)

J

In Melbourne:

Cafe Florentine in Church St Brighton.
Groove Train and The Pantry in the same strip also good.
L' Apperetivo in GlenHuntly Rd Elsternwick.
Lava in Carlisle Stree Balaclava.

In Sydney:

Post Cafe (the Old Post Office in Marrickville Rd)
Most places in King St Newtown. Also a great street just to watch people go by.

Gold Coast:

Zaraffa's (a chain up there) consistently good and will tailor
to your tastes.
Peetsa and Cake in Broadbeach Mall......grr :( won't let me type Pitza
Oscars in Burleigh Heads. Fantastic view north up the coast.

So many choices :)

I live in between 2 cafe/restaurant strips and normally go out to eat rather than for coffee.

Interestingly I've found where the food is excellent, coffee is normally good too - near me anyway. My preference is having an alcoholic beverage in between the two :).

Dropped into a place late one night, last week, where I was shouting coffee and cake but walked out (know the people I was with well) - had ***** food there a couple of years ago, there was no outdoor area, AND the coffee and 3 cakes would have come to $75.

Went next door which was excellent for half the price.

dan c where is this cibo's. Been to the one near me once and didn't go back.

AD's cafe in Weston ACT if Steve is on the machine

Purple pickle (ANU ACT) but before the roadies get there of a morning

Haven't established a favourite in Brisvegas yet - too many burn the coffee.

One would probably not do it if they didn;t have the time :rolleyes: and also as per previous post, it's probably nowhere near it

having siad that though, I can get impateinet if I have to wqait that long

McDonald's might be passable with their auto machines etc now, but how it can be anyone's favourite I find strange - I man if you dont like coffee much anyway, like someone who doesn;t like meat an dthinks big mac;s a re good quality beef sure... but seriously, we must have been dumbed down over the eyars or soemthig to beleive that what we get at average commerical palces is the proper thing.. WE have forogtten pretty much what proper apples & tomatos tastse like, so probaby not surprising taht a drink like cofee goes the same way... We get given sub standard qualty in so many ways that we've come to accept it as correct & laugh at others who don't

Not me.... you get what you pay for.

Back