Favourite Coffee Shop or Cafe

I should start out by saying I'm pretty biased on this topic, i'm a self-taught barista and have spent years working the coffee machine...
Just think, you might have got off the coffee machine and into the courtroom if you decided to go law school instead.

Art of Espresso, Young, N.S.W. Roast the beans out the back of the shop.

Trying to get him to go to Coogee to start coffee shop. Would not only kick butt on coffees but service will impress aswell.

Gloria Jean's is not bad & available everywhere.

I got turned off Gloria when I found ice cubes in my iced mocha. To me that's like finding ham in my hamburger.

Everywhere else you go an iced mocha has coffee, chocolate, chocolate sauce, milk, whipped cream, vanilla icecream, cadbury flake, but no ice cubes.

In Jerrabomberra, NSW..a private, out of the way place, that serves great coffee and yesterday a huge slice of pavlova was served with it. It was homemade with mounds of whipped cream and slices of strawberries and kiwi over a perfect meringue base.
..ooops, that was our place:D

In Jerrabomberra, NSW..a private, out of the way place, that serves great coffee and yesterday a huge slice of pavlova was served with it. It was homemade with mounds of whipped cream and slices of strawberries and kiwi over a perfect meringue base.
..ooops, that was our place:D

Properly made is best... I like food and sweets, but I am annoyed at the fake versions of stuff we get served. Take a dessert with custard... 1/2 the time I know not to bother cause the custard hard instead of soft like it should be and would be if made properly... it ruins the taste, I feel like I could have bought something from the frozen section of the supermarket on discount

I like coffee and having tasted the difference, when I go out, I will prefer something over another. When at home I prefer to try & make it the same also.

I wish it wasn't a big deal and most places served coffee properly, but really, unfortunately, at least in Perth, they don't. They don't use enough coffee, and / or they make the shot too long and it tastes watery. They burn it, so it tastes bitter to the point where this is the taste people associate with coffee - something wrong there....Bah, the milk isn't that big a deal for me.. it's the coffee they burn it ! I'd prefer not to eat burnt eggs for example, same with coffee !

Besides that, then it's just preference like anything else - this beer or that one, personal choice. And of course, if beer (or coffee) is just something to swig down rather something enjoyable, you don't care as much - I'm not a big beer drinker, but I can usually have a drink most of them, but imagine me telling a beer drinker it doesn't bloody matter, just drink the Emu Export ! :D (Western Australians will know what I mean :p)

Properly made is best... I like food and sweets, but I am annoyed at the fake versions of stuff we get served. Take a dessert with custard... 1/2 the time I know not to bother cause the custard hard instead of soft like it should be and would be if made properly... it ruins the taste, I feel like I could have bought something from the frozen section of the supermarket on discount

I like coffee and having tasted the difference, when I go out, I will prefer something over another. When at home I prefer to try & make it the same also.

I wish it wasn't a big deal and most places served coffee properly, but really, unfortunately, at least in Perth, they don't. They don't use enough coffee, and / or they make the shot too long and it tastes watery. They burn it, so it tastes bitter to the point where this is the taste people associate with coffee - something wrong there....Bah, the milk isn't that big a deal for me.. it's the coffee they burn it ! I'd prefer not to eat burnt eggs for example, same with coffee !

Besides that, then it's just preference like anything else - this beer or that one, personal choice. And of course, if beer (or coffee) is just something to swig down rather something enjoyable, you don't care as much - I'm not a big beer drinker, but I can usually have a drink most of them, but imagine me telling a beer drinker it doesn't bloody matter, just drink the Emu Export ! :D (Western Australians will know what I mean :p)

I actually agree with you.
Today we went for a drive, and about 2 hours into we thought we would stop at a local cafe. Planned on buying a coffee, but they only had the cappuccino type. I had a strawberry milkshake instead. It was delicious !!

just drink the Emu Export ! :D (Western Australians will know what I mean :p)

Emu Export runs a close 2nd to XXXX Gold. :)

I remember when I was a teenager thinking it was cool to drink Emu Export....ah peer group pressure haha

Wasnt much other Aussie beers freely available like there is now.

Was mainly Emu Export, Swan Lager, Swan Draught in WA as full strength beers. Then later on light beer such as Swan Gold.

I'd prefer not to eat burnt eggs for example, same with coffee !

Besides that, then it's just preference like anything else - this beer or that one, personal choice.

I've never been a real coffee drinker, meaning I drank it rarely and could never taste the differences.

However my new favourite coffee now comes from vending machines in Korea. I drank it almost every day over there.

Back in Aus now, stopped drinking coffee again.

I actually agree with you.
Today we went for a drive, and about 2 hours into we thought we would stop at a local cafe. Planned on buying a coffee, but they only had the cappuccino type. I had a strawberry milkshake instead. It was delicious !!

Cappucino type = espresso.

Espresso method, is.... basically... the best.. :D

There really shouldn't be any debate about this :p

Even instant is espresso freeze dried :eek:

Like most stuff, fresh is best :cool:

Cappucino type = espresso.

Espresso method, is.... basically... the best.. :D

There really shouldn't be any debate about this :p

Agreed!

Even instant is espresso freeze dried :eek:

NO. By definition, freeze dried is not espresso.... it is not brewed "under pressure", it is simply mixed into hot water/milk. They may call it "espresso" but it is just dark blend instant crap ;)

I haven't found a "good" coffee shop in the US yet....*sigh*... they like filtered coffee here, so italian style espresso & baristas are hard to find, and when you do, they tend to be burnt and bitter. I'm sure there are many good baristas in the US, I just haven't found them yet :(

Many good spot in Melbourne though! Actually, it is usually hard to find a bad coffee in Melbourne as they often go broke if they do due to the fierce competition.

Agreed!

NO. By definition, freeze dried is not espresso.... it is not brewed "under pressure", it is simply mixed into hot water/milk. They may call it "espresso" but it is just dark blend instant crap ;)

I haven't found a "good" coffee shop in the US yet....*sigh*... they like filtered coffee here, so italian style espresso & baristas are hard to find, and when you do, they tend to be burnt and bitter. I'm sure there are many good baristas in the US, I just haven't found them yet :(

Many good spot in Melbourne though! Actually, it is usually hard to find a bad coffee in Melbourne as they often go broke if they do due to the fierce competition.

You misunderstood me.

They make espresso coffee.

Then they freeze dry it.

The granules left are put into glass bottles and sold as instant coffee

As I've been told & read anyway......(?)

The jar of instant ocffee that says "espresso" just supposedly tastes a bit different , but at the end of the day, it is only what it is, the same as all the others - cooked, frozen & dried coffee - i.e. not fresh.

San Churro in Eastland. I order the special most of the time with Latte. I bring my iPad with me, connect via the Macca's free wifi and read the news.

Some McCafe's are ok. It depends on who's making the coffee really.

Apart from that, plunged coffee from my place is fine by me.

pelegrines at the parliment end of bourke street in melbourne its an old style itlatian coffee bar i just love the atmosphere and decor.

forgot to add - Montague Island Coffee Roasters at Narooma - fairly short hours (inside of school hours) and make sure the male owner is on the machine. He's picky as all hell with the beans and milk temps etc. Lovely little place to while the day away. On the Princes Hwy at the bottom shops

51 the avenue in little old donald town, BEST chicken parma ever!! not pub food, they turned it into gourmet. then a cheese cakey thingy, (i am not even a cheese cakey person)-it's just heaven.

the latte is good, but i need to ascertain at beginning point i like it strong. it is grata expresso. the weather is incredibly beautiful, neilyoung playing, the richardson river is full, the town is busy, the cafe not so full now.

what more could you ask for. I feel the luckiest, most fortunate person alive. or that might be the jittery jeepers ofstrong grata coffee?:p:):D

Have to disagree with Gloria Jeans. They burn the shot out of it, the coffee tastes bitter and is served, like Maccas, way too hot.

I love Cibo here in Adelaide, even if it does take them 45 minutes to make a coffee. It's worth the wait.

Agree 100% about the temperature of the coffee at Maccas and Gloria Jeans.

Cibo's also my pick in Adelaide, although they went downhill slightly when they moved away from Fleurieu Milk. The Coffee Barun in the northern suburbs is also very good.

My pick for Sydney is Coffee Alchemy in Marrickville.

I don't frequent cafes anymore as I make it at home now.

Back