Favourite forumites

Dale's Story

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.1

Well done Rob and Dale,

Thanks for sharing your stories and helping others to find their own path to financial security.

With a little effort and hard work we can achieve the things that are important to us all....

Cheers
Watto
Melb Freestyler

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale's Story

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.2

Dale,
<p>
Nice to read your story, can I ask a little bit intrusive question?
<p>
Just reading between the lines, you appear to be taking a very cautious and slower road than I would have expected. No developments, no aggressive strategies etc, just a slow road to a certain goal. Not that I am saying this is bad, just it begs the question in my mind, well why did you choose not to set a more aggressive financial goal?
<p>

Dale's Story

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.1.1

Thanks, Watto

We feel like we've made every mistake possible. But, we know that it won't matter as we'll still achieve our dreams anyway.

If we can - anyone can!

Have fun

Dale

Dale's Story

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.2.1

Hi AL

Yes, we're pretty conservative in our approach. Partly because I'm an accountant and we're not allowed to be risky people ;-)

More truly, I just don't have time or the inclination to do a lot of the more adventurous things.

This bothered me for a while until I realised it was Ok to do it slowly and reach our goals the slow way. It is not a race and we felt quite free in realising this.

Dale

I'm flattered

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.2.1.1

I can't believe that I've been nominated to share! I'm incredibly flattered, blushing as I type...
I have to agree with Dale when I say that in many ways I still feel that I'm at the beginning of my journey, and am in total awe of what others here have achieved, and have every intention of emulating them (yes, GoAnna, my plans for world domination continue unabated! hehehe)
Ummm... well I'll skip the boring bits where I left school and started working in advertising and stuff... Although I should mention my grandpa, who when I was about 13 started talking to me about some term deposits he'd set up for me and was probably the very person in my life to start me thinking about saving and investing.
Then I managed to meet my husband to be, we went out, two weeks later he asked me to marry him, and I said yes. Always said I wouldn't be able to resist a man on bended knee with a red rose.
So at the tender age of 21 I married, shifted out of my flat and house sat for my brother for 1.5 years. At that time we bought land on the outer outskirts of Melbourne (thanks to grandpa's lessons, bought it outright!), and proceeded to build a house in the late 80s gulp Our builder, who until then had been a small boutique builder, got greedy and grew too fast, used some dodgy contractors... learnt a lot fast!
Anyway, we settled into our home with my husband working endless hours of overtime, me doing temporary secretarial work and later running a personal development seminar as well. Busy people! But we paid our house off in two years, hubby got retrenched and shortly afterwards headed off around the world for a year. Awesome adventure!
Came back, I started on my less than stellar writing career (blush blush) and hubby went back to the same company and started to climb the corporate ladder.
In 1993 we bought land in the Dandenongs (the hills east of Melbourne) and worked hard to pay that off. A huge bargain, half what it would have cost us in the late 80s.
Then we started on plans to build our dream home.
Somewhere around then I got pregnant, we sold our first home and were aiming to move into my grandma's old house before bubs arrived. Bubs totally ruined all that and basically due to a very traumatic arrival where we both nearly didn't make it, we went into something of a black hole for a year. Hubby developed post traumatic depression, I didn't know and was struggling to cope virtually as a single mum, and life hit rock bottom. We also hated my grandma's home!
In amongst all this I started to build our dream home as an owner builder. What a challenge! Still think it got us the best result though, in hindsight. At the time it was stress to the max along with all our other troubles!
Anyway, to cut a long story short, we hit rock bottom, and started to claw our way back out again, realised that we wanted to be together, and we wanted a different life to everyone else and so decided to do something about it.
Moved into our dream home in 1999 ( which has since doubled in value, great equity base!)
Late in 1998 bought a unit OTP in Flemington Melbourne, which didn't settle until mid 2000. Also bought a townhouse in Brisbane in late 1999, so both properties were up and running around the same time - and both negatively geared, I didn't know any different then, and certainly hubby could take advantage of the tax deductions!
Through all of this I'm a stay at home mum.
I also started dabbling in shares.
Had teething problems with both properties, which almost blew us out of the water. I think it's fair to say that hubby was never hugely keen on all this in the first place, but trusted me and let me talk him into it, I can clearly remember sitting in the driveway at Flemington and hubby very foolishly asking me what I saw in the future, and silly me answering a third property in a year's time.... oh boy! Now he's a huge convert to property investing, but I digress.....
Some time in 2000 I started a property investment board at ninemsn, and got exposed to a lot of different ideas about property, and started to realise the limits of negative gearing. Our goals also changed, from building a portfolio over 10 years or so, to hubby wanting to retire asap.
So I went on a huge learning curve, which included finding the Somers forum, and learning lots about shares.
I then commenced my career as an options trader, which was hugely stressful and volatile returns, but I did make some money. Helped pay down some debt, but I don't think it was ever going to be the ultimate solution, I was never going to convince ultra conservative hubby to retire on my options income!
Along came 2002 and my son started preschool 4 afternoons a week (by the way, I had my daughter early 2001) and my share career was over, I was in and out at all the wrong times of the day, and started to lose money because I missed things.
So back to the drawing board, and after assessing a lot of different choices and with our goal in mind, at the moment I'm pursuing wraps, I'm still in the starting blocks, I have offers in on some properties right now. So that's a work in progress! I sold the Brisbane property to free up equity, that's supposed to settle this week if the bank can actually get its act together.
So there we go, a totally long winded story of my life, I hope someone finds it useful! I guess the future plans are to build a good cashflow using wraps, then use that to fund a mixture of positive cashflow and negatively geared propeties. My goal is to retire hubby by the time he's 40 (I have about 15 months to do it!) by replacing his income with wraps cashflow. Once he's retired he wants to start doing renos with his dad who's a carpenter/builder/handyman.
Phew. Happy investing everyone!
Keep smiling
Felicity :cool:

Mark's Story

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.2.1.2

Paul,
Okay, you want details, you got 'em. Finished Year 12 (passed by one point) in 1992. Floated through various jobs and was on the dole for all of 7 years. Yes, seven years.
Got put on a Work for the Dole scheme in 1999 which gave me the incentive to finally put my money where my mouth is, and look for work/move to Melbourne which was something I'd been thinking of doing for about 18 months (I lived in Geelong (yuk!)).
At around the same time in '99 I started my first business with my bro. and a friend (a skateboard clothing company). Put a few thousand in, got a few hundred back after putting it to bed late last year. Didn't make any money, but the lessons learned were priceless. Currently looking at more business opportunities, after coming to a shocking realization just this week about working as an employee (the full story can be found at Freestylers forum in the Young Entrepreneurs section, can't remember which topic).
Just as a side note, if anyone wants some tees for their kids/themselves, contact me, I have a few left that I'm selling real cheap.
In August 2000 met my life partner (Hiroko), who got me seriously thinking about getting rich and we haven't looked back since. Started reading investment books (RDPD first) in January 2001 and like Dale, it was like a huge wake up call.
I knew that real estate was where I wanted to be, it was in the blood. Both my father and grandfather owned I.P.s. So this is where the rollercoaster ride of an education began. Since then, we have looked at many strategies before finally finding something that suited us.
We are going with Steve Navra's way of doing things. It was a total turn around for us, as we were looking at positive cashflow before we met Steve at his seminar in April.
At the initial one on one meeting with him afterwards, when he showed us what he would like us to do, I was rendered speechless, literally. Although it was completely the opposite of what we were looking at doing, what he showed us convinced us that this was the way to go. In the small amount of time that we have known them, Steve and Katrina at Navra Investments have been absolutely wonderful and very supportive.
Speaking of supportive people, I would like to mention a few other people here also: Dale, you are a dead set legend mate, you have been a real great help for us since we met you, Tony Camera (no, Tony, we haven't forgotten you). If it wasn't for Tony, we would have probably gotten ourselves into, what would have been for us, a bad deal. Thanks for looking out for us, Tony. Rolf and Medine at ASAP Financial for the help they've given us so far (we'll be using your services eventually, guys, we promise!). Finally, thanks must go to Jan and Ian Somers. If it wasn't for this forum, we wouldn't know these people, nor have garnered all the great info. that people out there so willingly give.
Anyway, back to the story. Well, we're at the present now. At this stage, I'm working (grudgingly), looking for business opportunities and looking at doing some courses which will eventually get me out of my current employ and into something that I actually might like (I'm a chef). I'm looking into such areas as: business management, accounting/bookkeeping and financial planning. Hiroko also works as a chef (we met when she was still working at Frown, the World of Disappointment, which is where I still work). She is currently studying to become a Shiatsu massage practioner, which should become a reality at the end of this year.
In the future, we plan to be out of the rat race in ten years max, the idea is to either become full time property/share investors or be working on our own businesses. At that stage we may look at starting to pay down the debts on our first properties while purchasing more at the same time, all the while building a share portfolio using Steve's software. Development and possibly a move into commercial property are also ideas being looked at. Investing in the U.S. is also an interest. Reading the Rich 200, it seems that a lot of people on there with property made their wealth via developing/commercial property, and I like to think it would be nice to see mine and Hiroko's names on that list one day. Basically moving onto bigger and better things each step of the way. But in reality, who knows what we may be doing then? It's still a long way away. But I am beginning to learn to look into the future at what may be, rather than being stuck in the present only. The future is where money is made (that's what I reckon, anyway).
I'm also learning to expand my context, as I find myself tending to be a little cynical and negative whenever I see or hear about a deal or opportunity that may not seem kosher. Now, I'm beginning to realise that by having this attitude, I'm closing my mind off from opportunities. It was actually Kiyosaki's new book that made me realise this so it is great to know that a book I purchased for $20.00 has now opened my mind up to new possibilites and opportunities that could make me millions. well, that's about it, thanks for being interested in my story Paul, it's very flattering. I know I've already nominated someone (where are you Eric?) but I would also like to nominate Steve Piggott from Adelaide, otherwise known as Neb.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Mark's Story

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.2.1.2.1

Mark, it was great to read your story.

The early 1990's in Victoria were tough times, I decided to move to "yuk" Sydney ;-)

<p>

Quick questions:

<ul>

<li> What is the "basic" Steve Navra's plan for Mark and Hiroko? (if you care to disclose it?). Just I am interested in the "Steve Navra" way of thinking.

<li> What is the quote all about, "no hat, some cattle"

<li> Do you have written, defined goals, that you are working towards?

<li> Why are you not thinking about buying and renovating something? aka Geoff Doidge "cosmetic makeovers"? What was the quote again?... "like painting your own money".

</ul>

Good luck, but I suppose you will make your own luck, go for it!

Miakat's Tail....

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2

Hi GoAnna and all,

I was surprised when you said you wanted to here my story...I didn't think you would remember me since I'm rarely posting on the forum these days. But I will be at the Big BBQ, so will catch up.

I'll make my story quick.

I started working at about 12 and learnt from a young age to save, save, save. By 15 I owned my own car and at 16 I started to invest in shares. I still have my first Coles Myers shares and am still enjoying the discount and dividends.

From 16-19 I kept buying small packets of shares as money became available.

At 19 I hooked up with Grant, my current partner. Together we put a plan into place to save heaps and invest in managed funds together. These managed funds grew quicker than we could have expected, so we started to get into direct share purchases as well. In our final year of Uni we travelled Europe, then came back and set up house and bought a new (second hand) car to replace my ageing VW beetle. After Uni, we both got good paying jobs and proceeded to save and invest in managed funds again.

At 23, we bought our home using the FHOG and some of our savings. We left the shares and funds alone. I had so much fun buying our home that I decided I wanted to do it again.

Over the last 18 months we have bought 4 investment properties. The first three are all well and truly positively geared as they are rented to students. They have also seen huge capital gains due to a booming Newcastle market. The latest one was bought as a bit of a fixer, so we will try our hand at a bit of renovation later in the year. We are not buying any more just now. We want to fix some of these places up to improve our equity position even more and ensure we are all cashed up for some bargains in the future.

I'm now 25 and plan to be out of the rat-race after my next promotion in about 3 years. I want to get into business, but my full-time job means I can't do it just now. Grant and I are travelling to Europe again next year, and I hope to continue travelling until I've seen the whole world. That's my dream.

Miakat

Miakat's Tail....

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1

Well done,

The inspiration in these stories is great

Keep investing
Greg

Miakat's Tail....

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1

Hi Miakat

I knew your story would be a good but not that good!

Starting young, having a like minded partner and solid goals, gaining cash flow in growth area through hard work and creativity, AND enjoying your money and freedom. Way to go!

GoAnna !
"To the man who only has a hammer in the toolkit, every problem looks like a nail."
-Abraham Maslow

Mark's Story

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.2.1.2.1.1

Fantastic thread!!!

Thank you everyone. It's very inspirational to hear other people's journeys.

Kind regards

JOANNA

Mark's Story

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.2.1.2.1.1.1

Thank you to all those who shared their stories. Truly inspiring.

Tibor and Sim, I'd love to hear your stories. And I'm also interested in this fantastic steve navra plan. What is it about his strategies that are most impressive???

Cheers

Anon

Mark's Story

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.2.1.2.1.1.1.1

Great thread, so glad I can call most of you guys my friends :eek:)

TW

Mark's Story

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.2.1.2.1.1.1.2

Hi Mark,

Well done mate, & thanks for your unselfish explanation of your life's adventure so far!!!

I hope you realise Mark that you are successful already? You must be successful in your mind BEFORE you are in the physical equivalent - Think & Grow Rich plus You Were Born Rich are great books to get the thought pattern on the right track.

Keep the chin up Mark, keep learning & striving like you are & you can't help but succeed!

Thanks again

Regards
Paul

PS: I would like to know what your signature means as well, I love it. Can I use
( no cattle, wear a hat )!!!

Reply: 2

I nominate Michele B since she posted this great thread, im sure there are many others out there that want to hear here story!
Dont be shy!

Sim's Line (very long)

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.2.1.2.1.1.1.2.1

Sim's Line: A story about love, savings, and small furry creatures that go squeak in the night.

- - -

... so there I was, 21 years old, half way through uni, and married ! Most of the other guys simply couldn't understand it. For us, it was just so right - we had been going out for exactly 3 years and a day when we got married, and we just couldn't imagine it being any other way.

Of course there were financial advantages to me being married - she was working now full time as a nurse, earning pretty decent money. With that money, she was able to pay off some of my debts - not that they were huge, just under $5000 not including HECS. It also made it much easier for me at uni, paying for my fees and books and such. No more skimping on money, doing everything on a shoestring budget, hanging out for $4.95 all you can eat on Tuesday nights at Pizza Hut (ahh, those were the days). We were by no means rich, but we were comfortable, and I was quite a bit more comfortable than I had been before we were married !

What did she get from the deal ? Apart from a husband who would cook for her (that's gotta be worth something doesn't it ?), from a financial point of view, there was little I could bring to the relationship except debt. But I did have potential - I was about to complete a Computer Science degree, and although the IT industry was in a bit of a slump, and I was certainly not being inundated with job offers, I was confident that I could get a decent paying job when I finished. A cynic might say that she "invested" in me, expecting some pretty good returns !

The first six months or our marriage, we didn't save much. We had bought a new car about a month after getting married - a brand new 1994 model 5 door Daihatsu Charade hatch - it was so much better to drive than the old heap my parents had bought for me. At least it wasn't expensive to run, although being only 21, the insurance cost a bit. My weekend pizza delivery job kept me in small doodads and helped contribute to our finances in a small way. We still have only that car - has served us extremely well for nearly 8 years now.

She had quite a bit of money invested, term deposits, mortgage trusts, even some Woolworths shares. She had been working since the age of about 16 as a checkout chick at Coles, and her father had instilled in her the need to save and invest. For her age, she was doing very well. All the proceeds from her investments were reinvested, so they added up to quite a tidy sum.

About 18 months into our marriage, I finally completed my studies and graduated. My first job was a contract IT position that paid reasonably, but it wasn't what I wanted to be doing. The money was great though, all of a sudden we were a pair of DINKS ! I'd never had so much money in my life. I had always liked playing with figures. I kept very good records of the little money that I had, and I had even started playing with Quicken when I got my first PC, a couple of years before we were married.

So anyway, I worked out that we were paying more interest on our car loan then we were getting from her mostly cash investments, so it didn't take much convincing to use some of the invested money to pay off the rest of the car loan. All of a sudden, we had a lot more cash available to us each month without that debt. The joys of cashflow !

We had furnished our rented unit with borrowed or hand-me-down furniture, so there were a few things we wanted to buy so that we could call it home. We didn't have credit cards or store cards, wouldn't even dream of taking out a personal loan, everything we bought we paid cash for. Of course, we didn't just have lots of cash lying around, and so these new things we wanted to buy just seemed so far away.
It was about then that I discovered this really cool new feature in Quicken that allowed you to set up "savings goals". It worked by creating a fictitious account for a particular item you wanted to buy, and you "transferred" money from your bank account into this account. It was all imaginary of course, but it worked well in that it showed a lower balance in your bank account than you really had, thus you didn't think you had as much money to spend as you really did. At least it worked for me !

So we made a list of things we wanted to buy, prioritised them, set up some savings goals in Quicken and proceeded to put aside money until we could afford these things. Although I'd like to take the credit for all this, it was really my wife's financial discipline (learned from her father) which made us successful in saving. Dining table and chairs, classic timber bedroom furniture, VCR, and other essential things - we became experts at saving and paying cash for things.

Next was the big one, a house. She had wanted to buy a house when we first got married. Rent is dead money and all that. Since I was still studying and she was in her first year of work, and we had debts, it would have been very very tight. I think we made the right decision to wait until we had learned some financial discipline before taking on that level of debt. So we looked at what we could afford to borrow on our salaries, worked out how much deposit we would need, and started saving. We were earning a combined salary of about $60K or so, and managed to save nearly $40K in around 18 months !!! Of course the cost of living in Adelaide was relatively cheap, $115pw rent for a large 2BR single storey unit 4km from the CBD suited us fine.

While we were saving, we started looking for a place to buy. Almost every weekend for 18 months we were out at open inspections, going to auctions, looking around. We got to the point where we were playing this little game. We would go to an open, and before asking the agent how much they were asking, we would look at the place, and both come up with a figure we thought they would ask for. We got very good at guessing right ! Auctions were also good for this, guessing what a property would sell for.

We had a fairly clearly defined area we were looking at to buy in, an area immediately south of the Adelaide CBD, about 10km deep by 5km wide. She had lived in Adelaide almost all her life, and I moved there when I started uni, and both lived within that area the entire time. We were ready to buy after about 12 months of saving and looking, and it took us 6 months of offers, bidding and missing out, and even pulling out of a contract when the building inspection indicated that the roof was likely to collapse at some stage. Eventually we chose a place we had originally passed over - the house was too small, but the block was huge, and had heaps of potential. This was it, the one place for us. They were expecting mid 100's at auction, we had finance approved to $170K and were prepared to spend it all.

Of course, the auction was over before I knew it... and I was the last bidder at exactly $150K. The other guy who was bidding against me came up immediately afterwards, shook my hand and said "well done" - no emotion at all about missing out. I found out later that the reserve was $150K, and put two and two together and realised that we were "bid up" by a dummy bidder. Not to worry, we were prepared to pay $20K more for the place, so we were still happy !

So we moved in at the beginning of 1998, and life was wonderful. Owning your own home - especially the first one, is such a nice feeling. The 5 burner BBQ I bought with some of the spare deposit money was a great touch, and we entertained out under the back pergola frequently.

Then it happened. I was headhunted - offered a job in the "big smoke" which would double my pay. Her sister had moved to Sydney soon after we had been married, so it was an opportunity to go and live somewhere different, spend some time with the sister-in-law and make more money ! The only condition on us moving was that whatever we did, we weren't allowed to lose that house. So we moved interstate after only 9 months of living in our dream house, and rented it out.

She had no problems finding work in Sydney, and with our combined higher incomes, we were saving heaps of money, despite the increased cost of living. Our goal from the beginning had been to pay off the debt, then borrow against the equity to fund a major renovation and extension to our house. So, we set about paying down the debt, and successfully got it to practically zero within 3 years. Another example of financial discipline that we had learned.

I knew we would have lots of cashflow coming in once we had paid off the debt, so I began to look around at what else we could do with our money. We weren't planning on moving back to Adelaide just yet, and doing an extension while the property was tenanted is not really practical, so I looked at investing. All of my colleagues were madly buying dot.com stocks, and sitting with a Comsec window open on their computers in the background while they worked. Shares seemed like the thing to do. I started researching, and even put in an application to buy a sizable package of shares in an internet startup called Spike. Fortunately the listing was way oversubscribed and I missed out. As it turned out, I made over $5000 just by NOT buying the shares !

It was about October 2000 when my father-in-law handed me a well worn and dog-eared book which he suggested I read. It was Jan Somers book "Building Wealth through Investment Property". I liked property, but it just wasn't the thing to invest in these days. But I was searching for something to invest in, so I read it. By about page 5 I think I was hooked. When I discovered she had other books, I ran out and bought them too. Then I discovered the web site and... the discussion forum. I was blown away. I bought book after book, devoured them all. Searched the web, found even more sites... read and read and read, started posting on the forum.

Then it struck me. We had heaps of equity in our house, we had high incomes, we had opportunity, and I now had heaps of knowledge. But I almost had too much knowledge. I saw so many different ways of doing things, I didn't know which way to turn. Every day I read about some new technique, some new style of investing. I wanted to do them all. No, I wanted to do the best way. No, I actually didn't know what to do.

Okay, I admit it. It was analysis paralysis. The bane of people with too much time to think about and analyse things. It's always easier for those who simply have to do something because they have no choice - or their choices are simply limited.

So what did we do ? First step was to refinance our house with an equity loan. Had it revalued - $240K ! We were pretty stoked with that. So now we had equity to play with. We found a pair of 5BR townhouses on separate titles in Adelaide close to a university/hospital, and they had been converted into a pair of 3BR plus a pair of 2BR units. We found them by accident - they weren't advertised, except for a sign out the front. We only saw them because we were in that street looking at another property. Yield at purchase 9.5%, and 6 months later after some rental increases showing almost 10% yield. Not bad when yields within 10km of the Adel CBD are almost entirely below 7%, with the vast majority at below 5%.

We are actually about to settle this week on another 3BR house in the same area, 7% yield (hopefully, but haven't got a tenant yet). This one was a failed contract - we picked it up on the rebound. Another case of being in the right place at the right time.

We are also negotiating on a dual occupancy, 2 houses on a 1500m2 block, subdivision approved pending some work (fencing, paving, carports etc). If we can get it for a decent price, we will hopefully get some instant equity from the deal. But that will leave us pretty much at our limit of servicability. Time to get creative after that.

So what's my strategy ? I'm not really sure yet. I certainly like having my properties pay for themselves overall. When people (non-investors) find out that we've bough yet another property, they almost always exclaim that I earn way too much money. What they don't realise is that I paid for one house completely (the first one), and that was before I earned the big bucks I now do. Since then I have not paid a cent of my own money into any of the property I have purchased.

People keep on at me about the negative gearing benefits I am losing out on. But they are only focused on the short term - they say I have high income, I should be negatively gearing. But I don't want to stay in this job any longer than I have to. If my income plummets because I quit and go start up my own business, then I lose both my tax benefits and my ability to service that negatively geared debt. It doesn't make sense to me to base my investing around something that will lock me into my PAYE job rather than freeing me from it like it is supposed to.

I want to buy some more higher growth properties, but I don't want to have to pay for them. I suppose my overall strategy now is somewhat similar to that expressed by Jeremy - a mixture of cashflow and growth property, with cashflow paying for the holding costs of the growth and the growth providing more equity to purchase more cashflow.

My next step will probably to be investigating some purchases in Sydney, using renovation to create instant equity and to increase rental yields, making it easier to hold them.

- - -

So what have I actually learned in the last 12 months ? How have I dealt with my analysis paralysis ?

One thing I should have remembered from my studies at school and uni, is when things get confusing and complicated, always go back to first principles, go back to basics. Keep it simple ! Spend too much time trying to come up with the perfect plan, and you will never get anywhere.

My advice to people who may be struggling:

1. Keep it simple

If in doubt, go back and read Jan Somers books again. Her strategy is safe and boring. But it works. You will have plenty of opportunity to get creative later. Just start with the simple stuff until you build up your confidence, knowledge and experience.

2. Know your market.

The reason I invest in Adelaide at the moment is that I know my area extremely well. Having lived there for 8 years and delivered pizzas extensively throughout that time - I know just about every street and alley in my area. This makes life so much easier since I do not have the time to be searching on foot for all the deals. I don't have time to be flying over to check out every property that comes on the market. I'm taking my time, picking off the best stuff that comes along and keeping my finger on the pulse as best I can. I do intend to buy in Sydney, but I haven't been looking all that long here, and I don't know much more that the suburb where I live. I hope to change that over the next couple of months.

3. Network.

Some of the best advice I have been given was as a result of me being able to talk frankly to some close friends I have made through this forum and the chatroom. I have been able to ask them about what I'm trying to do with a particular deal. Their questions and comments have challenged my thinking and helped me sort things out in my own mind. Remember, friendship comes first. There are some people who I get nothing more out of the relationship than friendship. I don't expect or need anything more than that. I am fortunate in that there are also some friends I have made who have been willing and able to discuss stuff with me and give me their honest opinion, and I am able to return the service by being a sounding board for their ideas too.

4. Read.

You can never have too much information. Just remember to keep it all in perspective. Just because it has been published in a book, in the media, on a website, in a newsletter, does not necessarily make it correct. More importantly, just because something worked for someone else, does not mean it will or even can work for you. There is no strategy that will work for you other than your own. You need to find your own way. If you get stuck looking for a place to start, go back to the basics.

5. Set and manage your goals.

One simple thing to help you filter out the noise around you. If you have a clearly defined and documented set of goals, you can evaluate everything that comes your way by simply asking "does this get me closer to my goals".

6. Learn the technical stuff.

Someone has to learn all the technical stuff, and worry about the details. At the end of the day, your financial well-being is your responsibility alone. No advisors, no mentors, no professionals, no gurus can make things work for you - they can only point the way, or provide a particular service. If you can get your partner to worry about the details and leave you to do the deals, then great. But someone has to do it. Too hard ? Too much to learn ? Try tackling one subject at a time. One of the fastest way to learn is to try and answer the many newbie questions that are posted daily on the forum. Find a question, look up an answer, post it and learn from the corrections (if needed) that people post. Do not be afraid to be wrong, but be prepared to admit it when you are. Do not be too proud to make mistakes, and be prepared to be humble enough to listen and learn when you do. You will often find that there is no right or wrong anyway.

7. Learn the difference between investing and speculating.

If you don't know the difference, find out. It can have a profound effect on your strategy.

8. Follow the money trail.

Before you accept advice, make sure you know where the money is coming from. Free services never are. Make sure you can work out why someone is giving you the advice they are giving, it is usually money speaking the loudest.

9. Be patient.

Getting rich quick is a low percentage play, most people don't have the knowledge and experience to make it. Think carefully about why you need to do things so quickly. There is almost always another way to get where you want to go.

10. Keep it in perspective.

Life is not all about money. Money is nothing more than a tool that allows you to enable your goals. Money doesn't hug back.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2.1

Well done Sim...

Congratulations on yours & your wife's success in life so far.

Inspiration is the word that springs to mind, & to see you both forging ahead with well thought out savings plans & paying cash for doodads etc is great.

Some lessons there for all of us!

Thanks again Sim for sharing your story with us

Regards
Paul

Sim's Line (very long)

Reply: 3

Sim'

That was GREAT! You're always very informative in your posts and this time you excelled in inspiration. Thank you! :) (I think I wore out my Alt + Tab keys so that I didn't get caught at work reading it!) :)

As a newbie, I am soaking up all the information available on this forum and I think that Michele needs a great big ole pat on the back for starting this thread! This thread is awesome! You all have so many brilliant stories. :) Congratulations to all of you!

Best Regards,

Loz

Michele's B grade epic

Reply: 3.1

At age 35, I was technically bankrupt and living on rice and chickpeas. So my tale might reassure those who worry that they’ve come to investing too late.

I worked 3 jobs to put myself through uni where at 19, I met my lifelong partner Nick - it was cool back then to wear army surplus but not yet cool to want to be a graphic designer which is where we were both headed. As soon as we started working, we drew a big house (the design thing runs deep) made of 100 x $100 bricks which we fixed to the back of the kitchen door in our rented maisonette (half house) and started colouring in bricks - this was our house deposit. Then our landlord asked us if we’d like to buy our house – both sides!! Yay!! We became landlords. This was wonderful for precisely 3 weeks, and then our tenant was jailed for social security fraud. I had to learn quickly about property management.

Life rolled on for us, consummate yuppies that we were, till I became pregnant. Then Nick was retrenched just as our firstborn arrived, which prompted a highly educational trip to Centrelink – you had to laugh. Soon we were both back at work and we bought a modest 3BR house on acres in the Adelaide Hills. It was wonderful of course, but why oh why didn’t we buy instead in Norwood or St Peters…doh. Or in Sydney or Melbourne….double doh. We sold our pair of maisonettes because it never occurred to me then that we could have kept both properties (Lesson: don’t blindly follow assumptions, always check out ALL your options). The bank manager assured me interest rates would stay at 12%, then they promptly soared past 17%. (Lesson: don’t rely on advice from those unqualified to give it)

Nick bought into the business he worked for, I worked part-time and we had two more babies. Disaster then struck when the business was embezzled just as two large clients went into liquidation owing the company huge sums of money. We looked certain to lose our house but managed to take over the company, placate all creditors and eventually trade our way out of debt. (Lesson: never sign directors’ guarantees and protect your assets with the right structures). Childcare costs negated my salary (I had 3 babies under 4 years of age!) so I had to work from home. To make ends meet I looked after other people’s children along with my own during the day and lectured at uni at night. Hence the rice and chickpea rations mentioned at the start.

Things got better. I joined the business full-time, we both worked hard and were well rewarded financially. This is when I learnt a very valuable lesson: BUSINESS is where you make money. And as I started to understand leveraging, I saw that there are no upper income limits in business.

Where to put the cash? Well I like old houses so we bought and renovated some properties in inner Adelaide just as the boom got underway. We had renovated our maisonettes and painfully learned what not to do. (Lesson: a coat of paint and basic cosmetic reno is usually all that’s necessary). We watched our properties appreciate quickly and began to understand that it’s capital growth that makes you wealthy (even in Adelaide!) and business that provides the cashflow. And if you define business as any profit-making enterprise then positively geared IP also qualifies. I’m something of a contrarian and I’m not known as a team player. So I often tend to look where others don’t. Unhappily, as in fishing, if you arrogantly ignore the tides and deliberately use the wrong bait and tackle just to be different, you’ll usually go home empty-handed. (Lesson: ask questions, learn from others, then go replicate what they are successfully doing but add your own spin – the wheel works just fine - why re-invent it?).

I became a bit frustrated with IPs - our ability to expand was determined entirely by capital growth, a cyclic phenomenon over which we had no control. My properties were worth only what the market said they were worth and the banks lent me whatever they felt like, if in fact they decided to talk to me at all. The potential for business as a way to accelerate our wealth creation plan slowly dawned on me. With business there are no such limits – outcomes are entirely within your hands. And I have seen this firsthand.

Working on the assumption that if one is good, then lots must be even better (Lesson: this doesn’t apply to everything) we are now working on other business opportunities. We want to replace ourselves in our design consultancy and in any case, Nick needs a very long rest as he has worked diligently for many years to support and make happen my various manias – and there have been many!

Re property, at the moment we are just treading water. I’m involved in a land division which threatens to become my life’s major work – it’s in its seventh year. I’ve just completed my first building project which was an architect designed beach house (this for the 4 people on this forum who haven’t yet heard this saga) and I’m about to start a major back end addition on an 1880s villa which I will attempt to do brilliantly but cheaply from the lessons I learned with the beach house - we shall see! It will be our home. I guess I should mention that for the past six years we have lived with our turtle in an upstairs 2BR apartment of closet proportions – this was us paying lip service to delayed gratification – no gain without pain, right?

Getting back to what I said at the beginning about starting late, don’t despair if this is you. Sure, it helps when there are two of you and yes, we’ve enjoyed a property boom, but remember I’ve been investing in Adelaide and not a lot has happened here compared with Melbourne or Sydney. Even so, it’s been possible for us to accumulate $2M in assets within 6 years after starting $150K+ in the red. Your own business is the key – read everything you can on this, then go do it.

I see that Sim has ended with some relevant pointers. These would be mine:

• there is nothing more important than being healthy. Granny was right. Without health, there is no energy and therefore no passion. Even if you are only 20, nurture your health every day – it will pay you huge dividends later, if only to insulate you from the unavoidable effects of stress. And if you smoke, consider my dad who is undergoing cancer treatment – his cancers are directly related to smoking which he gave up 28 years ago. Smoking has a long footprint.
• nurture your relationships – what else is there really? Sharing your good fortune makes its acquisition meaningful.

Can I add my thanks, along with previous posters, to the Somers who so kindly host this forum and who have launched so many of us into the world of IP. On this forum I’ve met some of the most special people I’ve ever known. My love and thanks to you all!

Michele

Reply: 2.1.1

Go Sim!

I like the way you put advice into your own story :)

Jas

Back