Favourite forumites

MannyB's Journey

Reply: 3.1.1

Howdy all,

after reading so many great adventures, I couldn't help myself & decided to give it a go...

Well, I'm also fairly new to IP investing & to be frank about it, I got into it by pure luck. I got married at 1995 (aged 25) & bought our own home, I had a full time job in the IT industry (completed my computing degree end of 1991) & my wife worked casually. I had bought our home prior to getting married (managed to save up a deposit & bought it aged 23)... Anyhow, you may ask how did u get into IP investing, well this is the lucky part, we were given a block of land by my in-laws around 1997, which we just hung onto for a couple of years & seeing it was a corner we had 2 options; 1. Build a BIG home OR 2. build 2 villa units, & you guessed it, we built the 2 villa units, which provided us a great lesson (dealing with architects, council, finding a builder, going through contracts, paying all sorts of fees to utility services & councils, etc.). The units were completed mid 2000, but going through this whole exercise I got to realise the huge capital gains we achieved with something so simple (adding all of the expenses, they were cashflow positive from day 1 without considering the depreciation schedules). Around mid 2000 we purchased a weatherboard home on a decent block size (my whole idea is that land appreciates & if the land permits to whack another villa unit at the back & renovate the front home, I would be way in front). This home has almost doubled in value from the minor renovation I have undergone & is also cashflow positive (good considering it is around 12km out of Melb) & the land in the rear is still there ready for me to develop at a later stage. A small break was needed here due to quick additions to the family, daughter now being a little over 2.5yrs old & son 15months old, but got back into it early this year. Purchased another old home, focusing on the land value, huge corner site at a beach-side suburb of Melb which will fit 3 townhouses on, but for now this place is let out (negative cashflow for now), but when the time is right I will look at developing this site (which based on my sums will increase my equity substantially & should be cashflow positive when constructed)...

I'm a bit like some of the other forum members, not in a huge rush & want to see how the market will go with the interest rate increases... My goal is to develop these sites & to get permits (probably do 1 site at a time not to cause too much strain on the cashflow), but with the interest rates not being stable I may stall building to see if any other opportunities do arise, but to summarise my way of doing things are:

1. Buy well
2. Don't rush
3. look beyond the old paint you see
4. look at the land value & where the easements run (to not interfear with further developments) & see if there is a possibility to further develop
5. Keep IPs clean & in good shape (don't expect tenants to live somewhere I wouldn't, by that I mean having the home in good condition, ie. paint, gardens, etc.)
6. Develop or renovate & hold
7. Go back to basics using the KISS theory, Keep It Simple Stupid
8. Don't let others with old mentalities influence your decisions, if the figures stack up then go for it
9. Above all, ensure your partner (wife/husband) understand what you are doing
10. Have a good group of professionals you can work with, ie. builders, property managers, trades people (although I tend to enjoy doing many of these tasks)
11. Oh, how can I forget, networking!!! utilising such a great facility we have here & talk to friends that may have similar interests...

(I could add more, but most have been covered by other forum members)...

That is a quick snap-shot of my doings, but as all you guys, wanting to get out of the rat-race once & for all in the not too distant future (probably focusing on IPs)...

Cheers,

Manny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark's Story

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.2.1.2.1.1.1.2.2

Paul and AL (and everyone else),
Thanks heaps for your wonderful compliments. AL, as per your request, sorry, but I don't feel comfortable outlining my specific plan, not at this stage, anyway, as it is still very much in the development stage, considering that we have changed tack. So this naturally requires a different mindset with different outcomes. Paul, I've just read Think and Grow Rich - great book. I actually have my own little motivational piece stuck to my monitor it reads: Colonel Sanders was rejected 1009 times before someone said 'ýes'. Reading that everyday sure makes the word 'no' lose a lot of its fire. Anyway, that's enough out of me for now, I'll see ya's round! Oh yeah, the term 'no hat, some cattle' comes from Texas - it actually is 'big hat, no cattle' and refers to people who act and dress rich but actually have nothing. I just modified it for personal use.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

favourite forumites: wrappers

Reply: 3.1.1.1

Great thread. Well done to all those who shared their stories.

I would like to hear from a wrapper who has put into action the things taught by the leading wrappers mcknight/otton. I would therefore like to nominate darren B, yuch and MG to share their stories.

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1

Its nice to know someone still remembers me! I started wrapping in mid 2000 and decided do it as a full time business in February of this year.So far I have done 30 plus wraps, that generates 100k plus of passive income. I've wrapped 35k houses upto 145k. I initially had a 5 year plan that started in 1999 to get out of the rat race. I hoped to achieve it by doing renos and blocks of flats,etc etc. I found with wraps, I could accelerate my goals and did it in less than 2 years.
I tried to build a property portfolio the normal aussie way, starting in 1992 but found out that after 3 melbourne properties that were neg geared, I was having big difficulties convincing lenders that I could afford more.(the old serviceability issue) Being self employed and not being in a big tax bracket,didnt help either. I realised neg gearing wasnt for me, especially as my melbourne properties were costing me $800 a month to hold and this didnt include normal wear & tear repairs. I love real estate, but I thought there had to be a better way. I was starting to get sick of my one man band business, when I decided to attend a John Burley intro seminar. Well that $45 investment changed my life. When he started to talk about properties that put cash in my pocket, I was hooked. I spoke to various solicitors, accountants, well meaning friends, who said the same thing "you cant do that here" I was starting to come a bit discouraged at this stage, when my accident I met David Bradley. With Davids guidance, I did my first wrap and bingo, I now have 30. I should have 50 by early next year. I hate work and I'm lazy, so passive income from doing a few deals is a great way to earn income that pays the bills and funds more investments. I hope my story is of some interest out there in forum land.

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.1

Fantastic - thanks Darren! Quite a few people have said they'd like to hear from Ruby (come on Ruby!!), WB, Rolf, Paul Zag and Kellie. How about it guys?

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.2

Darren B.
<p>
Thank you for your story very inspirational!
(especially after a full day of office politics and pointless meetings, I was just sitting there thinking "I don't want to do this, this is just wasting my life" )

Can I ask a few questions? <p>
<ol>
<li> You are doing it as a full time, from my limited knowledge in the subject, I understand that doing WRAP's is actually a "job". You need to do lots and you need to spend plenty of time doing them to make it worth while. Do you agree with this? (Obviously the rewards are there for the taking! WOW!)
<li> Is it true passive income? I mean passive for life? if you stop work, after a few years will your passive income decline as the properties under wrap dwindle due to conversion to regular finance, get sold, abandonment etc etc.
<li> Do you only do WRAPs, or is it a business that generates money so that you can buy "real" IP's ;-)
<li> Just for my own personal interest what is the most expensive property you have wrapped?
<li> Do you have an exit strategy? I mean, have you set a date and time you will stop and live of passive income, start a restaurant, help the poor in Africa, transform into a couch potato, farming etc ?.
</ol>

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.2.1

Darren B

Could you please tell us how you got around the too rent reliant line that the banks try and pull?

TW

RE: favourite forumites: wrappers

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.1.1

> From: "Michele B" <[email protected]>
>
> Fantastic - thanks Darren! Quite a few people have said they'd like to
> hear from Ruby (come on Ruby!!), WB, Rolf and Kellie. How about it
guys?

Nice tale Darren, glad to see wrappers doing their thing well!

I second what Michele said. Come on Ruby!
Hurry up Rolf!
WB, we're all dying to know!
Kellie! We're waiting!!

Jas

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.2.1.1

I have found this thread to be truly inspirational.
I have been following the forum for over a year and it has been one of the most fascinating series of posts I've read.
It has truly made me feel what a great resource this forum is and I felt moved to hop in and express my joy.
I would also like to hear from Kellie and Rolf. Where are you???
Bridie

Back