Favourite Renovation Tips

W

WebBoard

Hi everyone,

I thought it might be interesting to gather together everyone's favourite renovation/equity builder tips - really practice things that people have done to add great value.

Suggestions:

- add a room

- tile and laminate paint for quick kitchen makeovers

- add a balcony or deck

.....and a great one I saw on a TV reno show last week......

- a stainless steel basin for bathroom along the style found in fancy apartments. Instead of paying $1,000 at Rogerseller, look up institutional plumbing suppliers and get the type the put in prisons and schools - it looked terrific!

I know the above are obvious and boring to some, but just a few examples to get things flowing.

Perhaps we can gather together a great list and then I can also hunt back through the archives and combine them all together in a document to post?

Cheers, Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Simon,

I don't know much about renos. For me sticking to paint, carpet and maybe changing the kitchen is the most I would do....don't want to get stuck in the structural stuff.

But that is my prefernce as I am a lazy bugger. (Even so all this would keep anyone busy) - and time is another big factor. for each week of reno....u are losing 1 week in rent.

Regards
HN

Reply: 1.1

Aahhh handbasins, when s/s bowls first came out they were several hundred dollars, as I was walk past 'Clints' I saw a large s/s salad/mixing bowl for $4.95, bought it, cut a hole in the bottom and fitted a waste. Attached the bowl to a timber occassional table and hey pesto $1000 vanity unit; total cost $125 + 1 hour + a bit of lateral thinking.

This vanity is still going strong after 8 years and it "made" the bathroom. The best bit is that the quantity surveyor put $1,100 on the vanity and from memory it was depreciated at 12 or 15% pa which means it paid for it itself after a year. The valuer loved it too ;-)

Michael Croft

Reply: 1.1.1

Oh I love your ideas Michael. You really are inspirational! Only you could be inspired by Clints! Well done!
Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 1.1.1.1

I was thinking the same sort of thing, except with a Huge Glass bowl...

Anyone know a good glazier in BNE who can cut shapes in glass well???

:eek:)

asy

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Cutting a hole in a glass bowl is a piece of cake for a glazier BUT BEWARE if the glass is toughened eg pyrex they can't do it. The toughened glass will shatter - been there done that ;-)

The blue and thick Turkish made vases/bowls are really good as hand basins, stunning too. They were available from the East Indian Company, but I think it/they went broke, but it gives you a clue to the type of retailer.

Michael Croft

Back