Federal Budget 2013 - tax impact

- The Medicare levy will increase by 0.5% to 2% pa from 1 July 2014 to help fund a better life for Australians with significant and permanent disabilities.

- The changes to the personal income tax thresholds, marginal tax rates and low income tax offset that were to take effect from 1 July 2015 have been abolished.

- The tax offset that is available if ‘Net Medical Expenses’ exceed $2,120 (in 2012/13) will be progressively phased out. The impact will be immediate for many people and it will be abolished by 2019.

- The amount of self-funded education expenses that can be claimed as a tax deduction will be capped at $2,000 pa from 1 July 2014.

- The Baby Bonus will be abolished from 1 March 2014.

- Families who are eligible for Family Tax Benefit Part A (FTB (A)) will receive an extra $2,000 following the birth of their first child and $1,000 for subsequent children.

- The income thresholds that are used to determine eligibility for FTB (A) and the threshold of $7,500 pa that applies to Child Care Rebate will not be increased until 1 July 2017.

source: http://learn.nab.com.au/what-it-means-for-individuals-federal-budget-2013/

- The changes to the personal income tax thresholds, marginal tax rates and low income tax offset that were to take effect from 1 July 2015 have been abolished.

What dose that actually mean?

- The Baby Bonus will be abolished from 1 March 2014.

- Families who are eligible for Family Tax Benefit Part A (FTB (A)) will receive an extra $2,000 following the birth of their first child and $1,000 for subsequent children.

Wait.
So they are taking away the baby bonus, yet still providing increases to those at the lower socio-economic scale?

Wasn't taking away the incentive for people to breed like rabbits the point of getting rid of the baby bonus? I guess I was wrong.

Wait.
So they are taking away the baby bonus, yet still providing increases to those at the lower socio-economic scale?

Wasn't taking away the incentive for people to breed like rabbits the point of getting rid of the baby bonus? I guess I was wrong.

No money for rich mums.

Peter

Back