Feedback from DA assessment

Hi all,

Just had a preliminary assessment done on our dual occupancy DA.

Couple of things we need to address, like FSR, setbacks, landscaping and the amount of concrete at the front :)

Now the interesting thing is one of the neighbours has provided a submission about the overshadowing (we're building a two storey dual occ and they have a single)

At 3pm in winter, about half of their solar panels are covered. They are saying the solar panels are going to be completely covered, which is not the case. at 3pm about half would possibly be (in winter).

The other comment was that their rumpus room will not get enough sunlight on the wall to heat it for night use.

Will these two things be deal breakers, even though we comply with all other council requirements? There is minimal stuff that can be done with the overshadowing since its a 2 storey vs single storey.

I dont really talk to the neighbours although would it be worthwhile to write / speak to them about it?

Thanks

I think it's up to the council to determine the overshadowing issue.
A double storey would require a bigger setback than single, as far as I know, this will ease the overshadowing a little.
You may just need to alter the design a little if you're overshadowing too much.

All you can do is submit and see what happens.
But, since you have done this preliminary assessment done, what did council say about the overshadowing?
Is it council who said the neighbours solar panels will be completely covered?

We were required to submit a Solar shadow diagram for our last duplex at 9am 12 midday and 3 pm winter solterise (? Spelling). Found everything we needed on the Internet to work out how to do it.

We put a stick in the ground and measured with a compass the casting angle and length of the shadow.

Anyway the main point was that 50 percent of the neighbours yard had 4 hours of sun. ;)

Council needs to have diagram to prove yard has 4 hours of sunlight, should not be a deal breaker.

Regards
Sheryn

You should be ok if you are within the building height plane. Measure up 1.8m from the boundary (ie: standard fence height) and draw a 45 degree angle for all elevations along the disputed boundary. If your house is beyond that zone (ie: if the 45 deg line doesn't touch your house at any point) you should comply with standards.

Thanks for the info. My architect spoke to the assessor and they were quite good about it. We're doing some minor changes to the plans to minimise the overshadow in the neighbours backyard, although with a two storey house that has a gentle downwards slope towards the neighbours, there will always be some overshadowing.

We're still going back and forth with the council re: our duplex plans but are nearing the end of it I believe.

I got a copy of a email which was sent by the neighbours.

They are wanting us to pay for moving ALL of the solar panels, when only about 3-4 panels will be affected. In addition, they've added a comment in that if the shadow diagram is different from when the building is done, they will take civil action.

As far as the council is concerned, they will approve / decline etc on their DCP's.

From my perspective, I'll be living here for a long time yet, and in the interest of keeping neighborly peace would it be wise to offer some goodwill payment for the relocation of the panels?

Just to give you a bit more info, solar panels work in strings, it may not be possible to only move a few based on their setup.

Yeah they have an array of 15 and 7 panels.
15 at the back say and 7 in front of it.

The quote is for:

- Move 15 panels back 15cm
- Move 7 panels (currently on tilt system) back against the 15 and lay them flat on the roof (flat tin roof)

$2500!!!

I understand they have the array, and the only reason Im asking is just to keep peace between us, considering we will be living here for the next X number of years.

Everything else to do with the minimum number of required sunlight hours is met.

Giving neighbours the ability to comment on minor DAs was the biggest mistake they made back in 98.

Hopefully it gets removed soon.

Back