Feedback wanted on building plans

Hi,

I've been a long-time reader of the forum but this is my first post.

My wife and I are looking at building a house (to live in) on a small lot in Brisbane and I'd love to get some feedback on the DA-approved plans that would come with the purchase of the block.

We haven't really been looking to build a house, so we're not sure whether these are a good set of plans, or whether we would need to get something new drawn up and go back through council.

I believe we could make fairly extensive internal changes without having to go back through the DA approval process. Is this correct?

I'm happy to take any and all advice - would love any creative ideas to improve the plans without changing the footprint.

Four bedrooms with a study nook is a good fit for us, but there are a few things we're not sure of:

* Is the kitchen quite small?
* Are the bedrooms an okay size?
* Will the layout create a liveable family home?

Thanks for any ideas or advice you can offer. It seems like SS is always a helpful and knowledgeable crowd.

(I'll try to attach images of the plans to this post.)

Attachments

• house1.jpg
    house1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 175
  • first_floor.jpg
    first_floor.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 177
  • ground_floor.jpg
    ground_floor.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 164
Is there a broom closet or place for the vacuum cleaner?
Can it fit in the linen spaces?

Any roof exhaust fans for the bathroom and the ensuite?

I like to have a lockable storage/cupboard area in the garage as well.

Overall it's a nice design. Plumbing is centrally located, should be a good build.

Last edited:
There seems to be a small broom closet between the bathroom and laundry downstairs. Maybe not optimal when kitchen and living is upstairs...

Not sure about the exhaust fans, but that's something I hadn't thought to check on - thanks!

Builders seem to be talking in the $400,000 range. Does that sound reasonable?

Puffl,
just by coincidence I think I know where this block is.. My only comment is - has the cut/fill and maximum slope of the driveway been considered? Because the garage is currently 1.5m above natural ground level.
Also, not sure why the main deck is at ground level and looking uphill?

Hi vbplease,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure whether the cut and fill has been considered, but I think it has as there's to be a retaining wall towards the front on the left-hand side of the block.

Regarding the "main" deck, I'm a bit confused. There are two decks – one on each level and both the same size. What do you mean it's looking uphill?

Edit : Was thinking of another block - your garage is at ground level, so no worries with a sloping driveway.

oops, didn't see the same deck was on the first floor too.. looks good, but I think decks are better suited on the side with the most view i.e. down hill. In this case the architect may have put it at the back considering it's orientation to the afternoon sun?

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been a long-time reader of the forum but this is my first post.

I'm happy to take any and all advice - would love any creative ideas to improve the plans without changing the footprint.

Welcome Puffl,

Kitchen/dining/family space is fine. Not much room for overheads in the kitchen though. Overall nice design without being too picky.

Where is north?

The block faces north-north-east at the front, so the back is south-south-west. And it overlooks parkland at the back.

Yes, we're half thinking we should extend the kitchen a little, perhaps at the expense of some dining space...

We would maybe bring the benches around the corner and along the wall nearest to the bathroom, and then push the island bench a little closer to the back deck.

We are currently building two houses with a similar layout in Margate at the moment. It only has a patio on the lower level therefore if we went with the decks on the top floor the size would have been similar as well.

The cost for a turn key package was around $300k each on a flat block. Therefore, your house will cost a bit more due to the extra deck and retaining. If the retaining walls are over 1m then it will need to be engineered and I would recommend block retaining for longevity.

There seems to be a small broom closet between the bathroom and laundry downstairs. Maybe not optimal when kitchen and living is upstairs...

Not sure about the exhaust fans, but that's something I hadn't thought to check on - thanks!

Builders seem to be talking in the $400,000 range. Does that sound reasonable?

Whoops - Just found the broom closet. Sorry:)

The 400K price in my mind depends on the finish that the builder will do. I built two duplexs about 125 sq metres each in 1996 for about $1200 per sq metre. The finish on these looked like I have spent 2000-2500 per metre.

Does this price include landscaping?

Battler, I'm guessing you're joking but actually you could say there are two lounge rooms! You could call the "family" room a lounge room, and the "rumpus" a second lounge!

Aaarghhh, yes, the quote does include landscaping, although I suspect the build is going to end up over the $400,000 mark as we want a reasonably high-end finish.

By the way, so far the quote is only a verbal one, rather than an official itemised quote.

Whoops - Just found the broom closet. Sorry:)

The 400K price in my mind depends on the finish that the builder will do. I built two duplexs about 125 sq metres each in 1996 for about $1200 per sq metre. The finish on these looked like I have spent 2000-2500 per metre.

Does this price include landscaping?

That is an expensive build cost for 1996. In today's money you would easily double that cost. Our typical duplex build costs around $950 per sqm for a turn key package. While they are basic in today's modern standard the price does include 2pac kitchens with granite top, a/c to living area, security screens, dishwasher, ceiling fans,stainless steel appliances,etc.

Areas that I think you can spend more dollars from here is to add items such as expensive kitchen appliances, fully ducted a/c, full render to outside walls, vacuum maid, alarm, video intercom, C Bus wiring system, large glazed porcelain tiles with rectified edge, and the list goes on.

We are in the process of finalising designs on a house in Cashmere where the client is spending tens of thousands on a specially designed home theater room with double gyp rock walls and ceiling with special glue to reduce noise transmission. This theater will also have a separate 3mx3m comms room, tiered seating with led lighting and acoustically lined walls. I guess the cost can be limitless once you start spending on your home.

Whoops again ..... Wrong decade.. I meant 2006 :eek::)

That makes more sense. That price is the going rate with most builders around town at the moment for a basic duplex. Back then our clients where paying around $800 per sqm for a slightly less equipped duplex.

I would be interested to know what extras you got for that price.

Back