Feeling like a celebrity!

I am going to be featured in a coffee table book called Lounge to Boardroom.

"The premier book of inspirational stories of successful women in business" (their punch line). It features 50 business women in SA. Some of who are my clients and have nominated me to join.

The reason I am telling you this (apart from the fact that I love showing off :D), is because today I really took the time to smell the roses.

We had a make up artist doing hair and makeup for a photo shoot and I got a chance to be a model for a day. Sensational! :D

How many ladies out there actually take the time to enjoy being a lady? How many actually reward themselves for their achievements? We all seem to get caught up in doing more and more and forget to take the small rewards along the way.

I spent a couple of hours with an editor highlighting what I have achieved to date and it was a real wake up call and a reminder that yes I have had some wins and achievements along the way so let's stop and celebrate for a day. How many successful people do that?

I have cancelled two wealth creation seminars I was supposed to be running on Wednesday and Saturday next week and although I've had some clients that were disapointed they totally understood that I just need to have time out sometimes.

I will be attending a cocktail party for the book pre launch instead, it requires dressing up and having lots of fun with other business women. I am going to ENJOY every minute of this experience!

There are many many high achievers on this forum and many people that work hard around the clock. For me it took my clients to nominate me for a book that has made me stop and smell the roses. What will it take for you to?

Awesome - Congratulations! to be passed from coffee table to coffee table for generations to come! I mean that sincerely, what a great way to remember your acheivments.

Congrats Xenia!
I look forward to seeing the book when it comes out.
I've had a few photo shoots over the years, but don't recall anyone sending someone to do my hair and makeup. I feel llike I've been missing out :eek:

well Rob
when you come over next (for wood oven pizza) I have two little girls who would absolutey love to fullfill your desire. ;)

Good on ya Xenia, you've achieved plenty in your time in real estate and should be proud of your combined efforts with Angelo. Here's to further success.

Having said that the many posters I met in real life were not how I perceived them online with very brash personalities online but quite the opposite in real life - so may be its a case of 'tough love' for some...

Harris

It is easy on a forum to pretend to be something that you are not in real-life Harris.

It is easy to be brash, aggressive, even insulting when you can hide behind a computer screen.

I find it so very tiresome.

Others' achievements are not posted for denigration by those who think themselves superior. They are posted through a sense of pride in personal achievement. Criticism, if not constructive is of no purpose or merit, it just indicates a lack of character.

Kudos, Harris.

Kudos also Xenia. The glass ceiling still exists to some extent and the fact that you have broken it is worthy of pride in your achievements, and heartfelt congratulations by others.

I wish you well and look forward to hearing of your achievements.

Since when did self pride in ones achievements (modest or otherwise) equal promoting them endlessly on a public forum?

Pride is an internal thing, no?

And i gotta say, that's the fastest kudos for a post (my previous post in this thread) i have received since i've been on the forum. Would have been there 2 minutes after the post.

um, yes I agree Evand. But on this site many quote on their achievements - big, small, personal - there is a whole sub-forum based on people's achievements in the interview section. Isn't that how the rest of us learn? You've been here MUCH longer than me or at least post a darn sight more, so perhaps I shouldn't be commenting :eek: but it makes me cringe when I read of others' achievements followed by a post that makes them look small.

I don't mean that there should be a ra-ra chorus either with everyone slapping one another on the back, just that criticism should be informative and constructive, not negative and not meant to denigrate the poster or their achievements.

I seem to have been on this hobby-horse a bit lately, but the negativity is getting to me ... apparently!

I don't mean that there should be a ra-ra chorus either with everyone slapping one another on the back, just that criticism should be informative and constructive, not negative and not meant to denigrate the poster or their achievements.

I seem to have been on this hobby-horse a bit lately, but the negativity is getting to me ... apparently!

Don't let it get to Minx..you will find that comments along those lines are mainly made by people (sometimes family, and so called friends) to try to pull people who are moving ahead back to their own level because some how in their own warped minds it makes them feel better about themselves & justifies why they don't get off their own asses and attempt something constructive for themselves. ...sad but true.

On a lighter note, and the main purpose for this post, well done Xenia. You are an inspiration and deserve to truely stop & smell the roses on all your achievements to date.

Once again, well done!

Thanks so much for all the positive comments and well wishes and the kudos :D

My dad once told me that you can never be a threat to anyone if you are a nobody. People constantly trying to derail you in life is a sign of acievement.

To understand the psychology behind those people and know how to deal with them is a skill that all successful people need to develop. Many dreams have been shattered throughout history because people have allowed other's insecurities to derail them.

The first thing to understand is that it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the person being attacked so I don't take things personally. I just focus on what I need to do irrespective of others "opinions"

What people say about me is not a reality of who I am but it does reveal who they are!

Good on ya, Xen.

This is one of the indicators that you are a success, but you know you're a success without having to appear in a book.

Looking forward to seeing your book.

well done xenia.

I also stopped to smell the roses last night. After a long day at work I was offered (another) promotion that will see me work in europe for the foreseeable future. As we love it here that is a very good thing indeed. Knowing too that all investments doing well and on cruise control, the said smelling of roses took the form of some very tasty champagne, and as usual, I went a couple steps too far. Wish I bought some roses instead.

cheers, :(

Weg, they clicked their User CP button - right next to 'home'. It tells you which thread attracted the Kudos and from whom.

Just saw that this function existed.

there are comments dating back to ..... (a long time ago). Thank you in arrears. :eek:

How do you write these comments for others? There have been a few that I loved, didn't know you can do this.

what does 437 points mean? Points for what?

well done xenia.

I also stopped to smell the roses last night. After a long day at work I was offered (another) promotion that will see me work in europe for the foreseeable future. As we love it here that is a very good thing indeed. Knowing too that all investments doing well and on cruise control, the said smelling of roses took the form of some very tasty champagne, and as usual, I went a couple steps too far. Wish I bought some roses instead.

cheers, :(

Well done Oscar that really is worth celebrating.
You deserve whatever you love doing, even champagne. Congratulations to you. :D

Just saw that this function existed.

there are comments dating back to ..... (a long time ago). Thank you in arrears. :eek:

How do you write these comments for others? There have been a few that I loved, didn't know you can do this.

what does 437 points mean? Points for what?

Click the little scales that appear on the person's post you want to give Kudos to. They are between the Exclamation mark (red triangle) and the post number button. That will take you to a little comment screen. The more kudos you get the more green buttons you receive.

I wouldnt mind this stuff so much if people were truly successful and i could learn something. (FFS Rob, you still have a J.O.B.)

You are quite correct. I do have a J.O.B, but I do so because I choose to.
I don't HAVE to go to my J.O.B every day.
I've already made plans to exit the J.O.B in June next year, because that timing suits me, for personal reasons.
Every morning, when the alarm goes off, I CHOOSE not to hit the snooze button and to actually go to work. For me, that's one of the most empowering feelings I've experienced in a very long time.
I'm going to enjoy it just a little longer :D
The fact that I choose to go to work doesn't, in any way, detract from what I have achieved in the last couple of years. Given that this is a property investment forum, I only discuss my property related investments here. There isn't a forum on which I can share the other aspects of my investment strategies, nor would I do so, in any event, because they don't concern or benefit others. They are strategies which work for me and me alone.
I do respect your comments, though and your right to voice them, whatever the true, underlying reasons may be.

Last edited:
I agree there can be too much self promotional but SS is a open forum so everone has the right to post what they feel to be interesting/inspiring to others.

I.E. A good friend and SSoftian is about to be featured in API. He was invited and did not approach them. He thought about the pros and cons befre agreeing. I plan to post to congratulate his achievements being acknowledged but not for making API. Is that wrong.

So I will work on the theory if a member does not like a thread, then will read it or reply. Keep it simple.

Peter

Click the little scales that appear on the person's post you want to give Kudos to. They are between the Exclamation mark (red triangle) and the post number button. That will take you to a little comment screen. The more kudos you get the more green buttons you receive.

Thanks Pushka. Learn't something new today... i have been on the forum for 2 yrs, never knew about it. Cheers..Kudos to you.

Back