Fence Boundary issue (another one!)

Part of the fence at the rear of my PPOR has been leaning into my rear neighbour's yard since before either of us lived here.

We agreed to replace the fence and we agreed that she would pay for materials and I would do the work.

I have put up a timber paling fence, all posts concreted, all palings screwed, not nailed. I charged her $350 for materials and gave her all the receipts. This was for a fence 7m long.

She has now been getting quotes for replacing the next bit of fence which is not my border, and the fencers have told her the fence I put up is 4 inches out of line, and she will have legal issues when she comes to sell her house. They have offered to tear down the new fence I have erected and replace it as part of their work!

She has asked me to call round tomorrow morning to discuss this, she hasn't paid me for the materials yet so she owes me $350.

Any advice on how to maintain neighbourly relations without being taken for a fool?

JB

Has the property been surveyed before or after you put up the fence ? It could be that the fencer is about to put the rest of the fence in the wrong spot.

No, hasn't been surveyed and I don't suppose anyone will want to pay $1000+ for a surveyor.

I really just want suggestions as to a sensible way to get round this.

JB

Call her fencer contractor with the neighbours approval and ask how did they come to the 4 inches out of alignment and go from there. They may be right or they may be fishing for more work.

Just be open and honest with the neighbour and you should be OK.

Best of luck.

I would call my own fencers and see what they say.

For all you know 1 guy might have said it and your neighbour is taking the opportunity to get more land for herself. Some people are just scummy like that.

I would call my own fencers and see what they say.

For all you know 1 guy might have said it and your neighbour is taking the opportunity to get more land for herself. Some people are just scummy like that.

The thing is - I put the new fence in exactly the same position as the old fence!

BB

The thing is - I put the new fence in exactly the same position as the old fence!

BB

Unfortunately this doesn't help, if there is a dispute then I think you and her need to go halves on a survey. If she pulls down your new fence and you are right, then she will need to re erect a whole new fence all the way along. This would include the new fence the fencer put up in the wrong position.

In the long run, neighbourhood relations are important and need to be fair and transparent.

Really straight forward, chat to her. Tell her the only way to know for sure is to get a survey done, see if she'll stump up half of survey costs. If not, you might agree to leave as is and she pay you the cash for fencing materials. You need to get this right, survey is the best way.

Looking at the fence this morning, I think he might have been right! The problem was that when I did it originally I couldn't see the fence line all the way down as the neighbour had a load of junk there. Now she'd moved that so the fencing contractor could quote his bit, I could see it wasnt right.

All good now....

JB

Back