Fence design layout?

Sooooo my fence has been eaten by temites/tenants/borers and has developed a pretty good lean as some of the rails and posts are now hollow.

Since I need to rebuild it, I was thinking of enclosing the entire yard while I'm at it. Rear is a 2m high colourbond fence, and chainlink 1.2m high fence on either side. My tenants tend to be young, small families or DINKS with possibly a pet, etc, etc, so I think it would be beneficial, not to mention greater street appeal.

Anyways, some thoughts on layout:

1)

23sdez6.png

Simplest option would be to just rebuild fence in current layout, and install gates on either side of the house to enclose the back yard only.

Extend existing fence onto driveway and have a big driveway gate. It won't be remote/automated, due to cost and maintenance. I don't like manual gates and I don't think tenants in general would either.

People seem to love parking in the front yard, whether it be tenants, friends, contractors etc. Don't know if I should enclose it or not.

2)
ruwtvk.jpg

Fence off yard up to carport/driveway and have separate pedestrian entrance gate and another gate for entry via carport. Will need to dig carefully as water main and Telstra cable is nearby. Smallish area to pave as there's already a concrete path on the side of the carport.

No need to build side gates/fence, and no driveway gate required. Could make driveway feel claustrophobic?

3)
msyv6o.jpg

Spin-off of previous design. Have pedestrian gate towards middle of yard, basically a straight line from gate to front door steps. Will have a greater area to pave, but could be interesting having a path with a central tree/feature/arbour and could look nice. No need for side gates/fence either and could make driveway feel claustrophobic?

I'll be doing the work myself. Construction will be a timber picket fence about 1.2m high. The area is super wet clay and I'll be using H4 treated pine fence posts bolted on galvanised high wind stirrups, cast into concrete, hardwood rails and treated pine palings.

Leaning towards option 2 for simplicity in achieving what I want...?

I would go with No 2. Gate looks better in the middle. I wouldn't lay a path from gate to house though. Extra expense and no real need.

You could stop the fence short of the driveway edge and steal a foot of grass to be part of the driveway to allow more room for opening of doors and do a return near the carport.

Pressure clean drive way.
Cut back that tree to save the gutters.
Board up the gap at the bottom of the house.
More garden beds, less grass.

Back