Fence prices and contribution

Hi everyone,

Just have a question regarding two boundary fences which the neighbour wants to replace. The back fence is ok, although a bit rough around the edges so I can understand why this needs to be replaced. Quote $70per m

The side fence is in reasonable condition and looks fine to me. They want to replace this with 24 metres of standard 1.8m paling fence, although to make it look good at the entrance, 7 metres of it with Merbau slatted fence. All up, the cost being $96 per sqm.

Would it be reasonable to contribute around $70 per m meter for the side fence? I dont think it needs replacing but more to keep neighborly love I guess :D

They want the Merbau front to match the gates they are putting in. It makes really no difference to the enhancement of our property.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sounds fair to me, if they want something more than what was previously there then they should pay the difference. You only have to pay half of the $70/m; so only $35.

I'd still be paying 70 per m on the side fence. Just not the $96 per m which includes the front merbau slotted fence.

Still a big cost, but dont really want to get into a neighbour dispute over whether the fence needs replacing or not.

Also, how do you determine which side the fence posts should be on?

Last edited:
Have to agree that you shouldn't have to pay for extras.

Regarding fence posts; which side are they on now? Some streets have all the posts on the same side, so each neighbour has one fence with posts and one without. In a new estate the posts sometimes face the dead end and the panels face the entrance so it looks attractive as you approach, first impressions last.

Regarding cost: Are you saying that they want $140 per sqm (or is it lineal m:confused:) for a paling fence, sounds a little bit rich to me. I might have to start a fencing business. ;)

I paid $60 per lineal metre for colorbond fence rougly 2 years ago.

Did about 30 metres for $1800, and he took the old fence aswell

Back