Fencing Advice Needed

We are owner/occupier's living next door to a rental property. We have lived here for nearly 10 years. The day we moved in the paling fence between our properties was on the grass due to deterioration, however because we were moving in with dogs we propped it up with star posts. Since then we have periodically contacted the managing estate agents regarding replacing the fence with no avail. The fence is now getting so bad the palings are falling off and comprimising the safety of our pool area, not to mention the safety of our children and dog.

Two months ago we got a letter from the managing estate agent saying they were interested in replacing the fence and if we wanted to get quotes etc we could. In the end they gave us three quotes and we gave them two. Both of us agree on Colorbond over a new paling fence but cannot agree on the colour. They want brown to match the other fences and we want cream with red frame. We have even gotten a quote to double sheet the fence so they have brown and we have cream but cannot agree on the frame colour.

So we proceed to get a quote for a paling fence but the owner of the rental property has communicated through the estate agent that they will only go with the brown Colorbond or they will do nothing. We are happy to have another paling fence and don't agree they can just shirk their responsibility as a property owner.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with this? Seems everyone can quote the Dividing Fences Act but no one can leglally give advice on how to proceed :(

Hi Possum, Our neighbour had a problem like this with their neighbour (not us :) and just built another fence in front of the old fence on their side. Not too sure if it was legal etc.. but they have had no problems yet.

Andrew

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with this?

Yes, keep the "legally" out of it - it will just add another layer of cost & delay into the situation.

If it were me, I'd double sheet it if you must and just agree with their frame colour. Then paint your sides frame if you must.

If you don't get agreement & fix it soon you'll have some neighbour's kid drowned in your pool and a damn lot more to worry about than what colour the fence & frame should have been.

We had a similar 'dispute' with a neighbour on one of our properties. He wanted green (which I hated) and I wanted cream (to match every other fence we had surrounding the property). We agreed over a couple of emails and a chat over the fence on green panels and cream frame. You just have to be grown-ups about it.

There is a Colorbond colour called "Manor Red" which is a sort of reddy-brown. Perhaps it may offer a suitable "compromise". ( It works well with cream and would work with "brown".)

You can also get a colour called "Hunter Red" which is even "darker-brownier" still and almost an Indian Red....but they don't promote it, you have to ask for it.

But either way ...sort it out "over a beer" , not :)lawyers!
LL

Cream frame with double sheeting - brown on their side, red on yours?

They've have to be real pedants to object to a little bit of cream around their brown.

When I get around to doing my boundary fence, its going to be 6 foot zincalume sheets with silver posts. Too easy. Beats the 5 foot galvanised with the remnants of wooden posts it has now.

Back